Over CosmoLex

CosmoLex is het enige cloudgebaseerde, facturerings- en boekhoudsysteem voor volledig praktijkbeheer (geen QuickBooks® vereist).

Meer informatie over CosmoLex

We used another system before and Cosmolex is more economical and user friendly.

No way to track date of loss and statutes of limitation. Takes a great deal of time to manage task lists.

Beoordelingen van CosmoLex

Waar voor je geld

CosmoLex heeft een totaalscore van 4,7 van 5 sterren op basis van 309 gebruikersreviews op Capterra.

Reviews filteren (309)

Sorteren op

Heb je CosmoLex eerder gebruikt?

Reviews filteren (309)

Eric
Eric
Senior Law Clerk and Office Manager in Canada

Practice Management and Accounting in One

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: One of the biggest things Cosmolex has done for us is allow us to bring out bookkeeping in-house. We went through 3 bookkeeping firms in 2 years and spent huge sums of money for our accountants to undo the mess they made. Our first year end with Cosmolex and in-house bookkeeping was a little rough but that was mostly cleaning up past mistakes.

The product is generally pretty simple to use. Sometimes you will encounter a quirk that makes you wonder "why did they do it like this?" but once you understand the logic behind it you pick up quickly. The software is updated quite regularly.

They were purchased by Tabs3 about a year ago and the fact that they are not independent is a little concerning.

Pete
Pete

Overwogen alternatieven:

I am glad I found CosmoLex, I could not get through a day without it.

5,0 10 maanden geleden

It's easy to use, intuitive, and the customer support is outstanding. I've occasionally contacted them with feature suggestions and they usually end up incorporating those suggestions - or they might show me how I missed something that accomplishes the same thing. The product works as advertised and I have no regrets.

It had a little bit of a learning curve but I had nothing to compare it to. I now find it intuitive, so it's hard to say. Customer support is awesome, though, and they also have videos you can watch that explain most of the problems and issues I experienced along the way.

Karin
Office Manager/Bookkeeper in Canada

Great All in One Solution

5,0 4 weken geleden Nieuw

Opmerkingen: Both lawyers & support staff are very satisfied with the switch to CosmoLex.

Onboarding/migration process was quite smooth; great team to work with.Easy to use all aspects of firm and trust accounting, quarterly reporting, Love the integration with Microsoft 365; getting closer to becoming 'paperless'.Can't wait to get the client portal in full use.The Live Support portal is the best I've ever used. They usually have the answer but if not the matter is immediately escalated and responded to.

A bit of a learning curve moving from previous software. Don't switch during a busy period.Would like to see a client ledger which incorporates both trust and general expense entries on single page.

Samantha
Partner/Owner in VS
Juridische dienstverlening, 2-10 werknemers

Duped by Cosmolex - Only Cost-Efficient if Solo

1,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I initially recommended CosmoLex because even with the lack of integrations, I found it user friendly. And I still would recommend it to solos who know they will never expand because of ease of use. But if you are a solo who aspires to add staff, a larger or growing law firm, or someone who uses an outside accounting firm, I would say to just use Quickbooks. Transferring after a year because CosmoLex decided to jack up the price considerably is such a hassle, and we want to continue to grow without continuing to worry that we'll outgrow CosmoLex's functionality or that the price will continue to unexpectedly go up. Additionally, our accountant struggled with it, and urged the switch to Quickbooks.

I actually liked this software for the most part in my first year of use. There were a lot of bugs. For instance, the email linking doesn't actually do anything, you have to manually sort and link emails. This is disappointing because it was basically sold to me as something that you could customize by adding rules like emails from x email address should be sorted to x client. But I otherwise found it fairly easy to use and I liked the functionality of invoicing, etc.

I am giving this a poor review for the following reasons: (1) Cosmolex is really only price-efficient if you are a solo attorney. When I added a staff member and tried to add another timekeeper, I was told my price was going to effectively double!! As a result I am now trying to switch programs which is a huge headache, but the added costs made Quickbooks actually cheaper and Quickbooks has way more integrations and a payroll feature. (Plus you can find email archiving for FREE if you are a small business that takes care of that functionality for Cosmolex.) (2) They were not upfront about the pricing issues. I was told that the reason it cost money to add this timekeeper was because my previous timekeeper had been "grandfathered in" and that I should have learned about this pretty drastic change in an "update section." First, why wouldn't I have received this in an email? Changing the price and price structure of a product should require actual notice! Second, when I chatted someone to find this "update" they could not find it or direct me to it. (3) The lack of integrations (and the integrations they are getting) is really problematic. For instance, they now integrate with Net Documents, which is pretty expensive. For a product that must be targeted almost exclusively to solos as a result of the pricing structure, that doesn't make sense. Why not integrate with Box or Dropbox? And to not have a payroll integration or to work with existing payroll companies is difficult.

3 jaar geleden

Hi Samantha, We're sorry to hear that your experience with CosmoLex was poor, but we appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if we can be of any help during your transition process. We regret that our support and training teams were unable to show you our long-standing integrations with Box, DropBox, OneDrive, etc. In regard to our pricing, our customer base ranges from solos to 50-lawyer firms. We respect your opinion and will pass your comments for improvements on to our Client Communications department. We wish you the best.

Nikki
Legal Assistant in Canada
Rechtspraktijk, 2-10 werknemers

The best legal accounting software I've ever used

5,0 3 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: Been working with Cosmolex for 2 years now. It is great and easy to use. I wouldn't ever go back to PCLaw.

It is great and easy to use. It's simple to navigate.

There is nothing about the software that I don't like.

Jennifer

Best Attorney Software

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Great program with easy customer support (even a chat feature). The prior legal platform software we used constantly had issues with an expensive yearly update that was required. Cosmolex is cloud-based so no need for updates. there is no need for an additional bookkeeping program for your office expenses as the program will handle that along with your trust accounting.

I like that you can handle your everyday office accounting in the same program as your trust accounting. There is no need for a separate program. Our clients love the client portal and they can upload documents directly to the client portal instead of having to bring them into our physical office. Cosmolex keeps each of your client files organized where you can save all of your emails, documents, and share the ones that you need to share with your clients through the client portal.

We would like to be able to make one bulk deposit at one time instead of having to go through by individual dates and make individual deposits.

Shawn

Best Legal Management Software

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Cosmolex has increased the efficiency of my firm dramatically. From standard client letters to accounting, to tasks, the program has made all aspects of my practice easier. It is easy to learn and efficient.

Cosmolex is by far the best Legal Management Software on the market. The accounting is superior and specific to the legal industry and the client management options are unmatched.

There are sometimes delays as information is being entered. It is relatively minor but something I expect they will improve on.

Overwogen alternatieven:

Great Software. Can be a learning curve.

5,0 3 jaar geleden

The built in efficiency. Great accounting system. Easy to generate invoices, apply payments, and print checks.

It takes a bit to learn how to do everything and fully utilize the software. That being said, the customer service is excellent. The software is pricey and I wish there was a discounted rate for firm members who only have limited access.

Jessica
Owner, Virtual Legal Assistant in Canada
Juridische dienstverlening, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Heeft de software gebruikt voor: Gratis proef

Still new to the software but really happy with it!

5,0 6 maanden geleden

I like how easy it was to integrate into my business. I was using a different software before and it was very easy to make the switch.

I currently have not come across anything that I wish were different.

Susan
Paralegal in VS

Overwogen alternatieven:

CosmoLex does everything needed to keep our firm under control

5,0 vorige maand Nieuw

Opmerkingen: We saw the biggest impact in time and billing -- it's easy to mark down the "tiny" slices of time because you are already in the file. Less chance of not documenting phone conversation or expense as you don't have to exit one program to enter into another.

Billing/Invoicing/Payment management and Account reconciliation features are what I like best -- easy to stay on top of the flow

I don't have a "least" -- I find CosmoLex easy to use and it does everything I need to keep our office well managed!

Matthew
Founder/ Tax Attorney in VS

Overwogen alternatieven:

Great for small firms, not so great if scaling up

4,0 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: We've been using CosmoLex for 2+ years so they haven't scared us away...yet.

Client portal is a terrific feature (when working), the ease of time entries is terrific. Very simplistic interface for invoicing and collecting fees. Integration with LawPay is cool.

There's lots of bugs and seemingly easy fixes that get overlooked and/or ignored. The portal will shut down unexpectedly and/or clients cannot access multiple matters without additional email addresses. There is no function for recurring billing (i.e., ongoing or payment plan clients). Customer service is a nightmare to deal with and takes weeks to complete simple tasks.

Ana
Attorney at Law in VS
Juridische dienstverlening, 2-10 werknemers

Cosmolex Review

4,0 6 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I became a Cosmolex customer after being a customer of another practice management system and a customer of a widely known accounting software. My law practice incorporates general practice areas ranging from real estate/title agency, personal injury, litigation, family law, to probate and estate planning. With a variety of practice areas such as my firm, the challenges of practice management are complex because each area of the law has its own set of individual policies and procedures. The program I was using didn't capture my time spent on cases, nor created a detailed bill for my clients' review that completely captured all of the work my staff and I performed on their case. Cosmolex produces an invoice for the client that justifies my legal fee, which is essential to client satisfaction, and critical for ethical compliance purposes for cases that are accepted on a retainer or hourly basis. Not only do I earn more money because I'm able to quickly track time and expenses, but I also deliver a better product. Less time is spent telling my client what I did on their case but instead, allows me to focus on the particular legal matter the client hired me to solve. Further, the biggest hurdle to launching a successful law firm (I've only had my own law firm for seven months), is bookkeeping, and I have an in-house, nearly full-time bookkeeper which is also an accountant and is even qualified as an expert in a common accounting software system. However, with all of that knowledge and expertise, so much of my time was spent on accounting, and now it's spent on practicing law and a deeper concentration on my cases. This was not and could not have been possible with other accounting software systems on the market. Trust me, I tried them, and they only created problems. The other systems in the market (even those that are tailored for law firms) simply make the law firm work for the system, and not the system work for the law firm. Cosmolex is comprehensive. It takes care of the daily task delegation, case progress, and time tracking, accounting, employee performance, and reports. My experience has been an eye-opening one. My experience is mostly a relief because without Cosmolex I would still be living in the dark-ages of unproductivity and frustration.

Ease of use, the simplicity of timecards, layout/design, price, functionality across multiple practice areas, ethical compliance considerations, cyber security protection, and mobility.

Lack of knowledge by customer support, inability of 24/7 customer support access, inadequate and burdensome contact importing process, access to library of forms and templates with incorporated merge fields, failure of bank integration for purposes of deposits, no app available, not synced with lexicata or another CRM service, doc mgmt could use some navigational ease of use improvement, no place for employees to insert their time for purposes of payroll, no spell checker, inability to make a matter designated as anything other than inactive or active (nice if had more options, such as closed cases, prospective lead, consultation only, referred out), migration of emails into cosmolex, lack of automatic matching of emails to correct corresponding client file (doesn't exist retroactive to joining Cosmolex at all, and once joined, the automatic email matching is rare but is much more usually manual entry, automatic base fee for commonly used tasks and expenses that would automatically be applied to each type of case's invoice for example, fax $2.50, copy cost 30 cents per page, courier fee $5.00, postage cost of $10.00, generate and open file $15, $10 document retention fee, and legal research $20.00, additional permissions for each user based on more than is listed under "role," label generator, sync with efax and adobe sign and google for work, ability to mark certain case documents as confidential and/or only for internal viewing purposes.

6 jaar geleden

Hi Ana, Thank you for taking the time to detail your thoughts, it is constructive feedback like yours which keeps us grounded. You run a multi-dimensional practice and are a tech enthusiastic, full of ideas. While we currently do not offer 24/7 live customer support as you stated, this is planned for the near future. We also agree that data migration from one system to another can often be very cumbersome. Though we have automated this process quite a bit since you became a customer, we understand that this can be perceived as a major hurdle for some firms, which is why we work hard every day to improve this process. Lastly, we value your comment that "[CosmoLex] is already well beyond its counterparts and is arguably the next big leader in legal tech practice management". We can assure you that we will be relentless in our pursuit of simplifying the practice of law! Erica Birstler, Manager, Client Services Dept.

Michele
attorney in VS

Overall Review of Product- Our THoughts

4,0 6 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Pros: One program for almost everything. Cons: No document assembly; you can only link one person to the client portal; glitches in program- the program emailed an invoice to the wrong person; can not email through program; glitch- I had to give access to everyone for everything because the limited access features did not work; customer service is not the best; calandar portion has glitches when it interfaces with gmail and office 365.

It is a comprehensive software. Its like having Quickbooks and a practice management program in one. This is the best feature.

Lots of glitches: (a) it emailed an invoice to the wrong person; (b) user restrictions do not work in my office; (c) calendar is not on the main page- usability is difficult for some tasks; (d) you can only have one person assigned to the client portal. Does not have email capabilities Does not have document assembly Does not have automatic assignment of matter numbers. Limited reporting features- you can not tailor reports (financial)- very limited.

6 jaar geleden

Hi Michele, We appreciate your feedback related to your experience with CosmoLex. In regards to the issues you are having, please reach out to our support team directly at 732-595-9015 so that they can see first hand the issues you are experiencing, and assist with resolving. I will be entering the requests you have made as well, so that we can keep you up to date on their progress. As an additional note, we will be releasing Document Assembly within the next few months and are always open to hear your suggestions on improving our current reporting. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Lynda
Firm Administrator/Sr. Paralegal in VS

The staff is really helpful and friendly.

5,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Three software packages for billing, client accounting and back-end was TOO MUCH!

Everything was in one place. I didn't have to generate bills in one package, enter them in another for tracking income, and then pay them in two places as well. It is also great to be able to write a cost check in a case and have the expense "attached" to the client's accounting file/bill in a seamless matter with just an additional click or two. We were promised an easy migration with all the support we needed, and that is what the team at Cosmolex delivered! Our accountant was also able to access the system for his end of the year work and add all of his journal entires and such and close out the books quickly and easily. The ability for us to generate P&L reports and other important accounting documents literally on demand is also pretty awesome. But the best part about Cosmolex, by far, is their incredible support team. They have never been stumped, and I've done my best to do just that! Every time I have a question, I get a prompt and complete answer, generally by phone, from one of their support staff who know me and my firm on a first-name basis. I don't think I could be nearly as effective in a dual-role position without this software!

I can't think of anything additional at this point; they have added all MY wishlist items! I think the only thing they could add at this point is a "hotline" 24/7!

Marc
Rechtspraktijk, 2-10 werknemers

This is a time and money saver for any firm.

4,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I was looking for a complete solution to my practice management and accounting needs.

I tried various other platforms including PCLaw and Clio, but they lacked in usability or functionality compared to CosmoLex. PCLaw is outdated, slow and not cloud based, while Clio lacks firm accounting functionality and though they advertise quickbooks syncing, there are major issues with the syncing that requires a great deal of work by the end user. CosmoLex is able to do virtually everything Clio can do with respect to practice management and even has a few unique features. However, where CosmoLex really shines is with its built in accounting system. As a Canadian Lawyer we require certain functionality that our American counterparts do not and CosmoLex has done a great job of meeting our needs. CosmoLex can properly deal with our HST/GST/PST issues and payments as well as offer us accrual based accounting as we are required to use by law. There is NO other cloud based platform with an all-in-one solution for Canadian Lawyers. This is a time and money saver for any firm.

I would like to see document generation (of all sorts), multiple clients per matter, the ability to generate Client I.D. Forms from the contact information. Also helpful would be the ability to attach scanned receipts, cheques, and bills to accounting entries similar to the functionality in QuickBooks. Some minor efficiency changes like being able to select certain options when creating an entry rather than having to re-open it afterwards.

Christine
Owner Attorney in VS
Rechtspraktijk, 2-10 werknemers

By far a much better experience in legal software than previous program

4,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I am practicing law more than I am fighting with accounting software for lawyers!

It does front and back office and IT WORKS. Very little technical support needed on a regular basis. It allows clients to make payments online through an invoice link and cosmolex is partnered with LawPay. Also integrates well with outlook exchange and all programs like google, onedrive, dropbox ; allows all emails to be saved to the associated matters for easy access. billing process is fairly simple the invoice links are keeping receivables down as client's can pay their bills 24/7. bills are able to be emailed easily and in bulk; invoice reminders and trust deposit requests are easily sent out without the need to draft letters individually to the clients. I could go on and on......

Hard to complain about much with this program. It depends on your needs. For me there are still some features I am used to from my server based program that are not availableyet in this cloud based software, but there are lots of things in the works. It seems each month a new feature is released that I had learned to live without or work around. The things I am missing right now are invoices saved automatically to a matter in a hard pdf when initially generated. The original invoice cannot be recreated unless you physically print or save a downloaded copy at the time they are generated.

Joshua
Partner in VS

Great for Small Firms

4,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Very satisfied.

Comprehensive client management, including accounting.

Sometimes a little hard to use some of the features, but they are always listening to feature requests.

Kristen
Juridische dienstverlening, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Best decision I made for my business

5,0 2 jaar geleden

What I like the most is that virtually everything is in one program and it is super easy to use. It was a smooth transition to migrate files and data over (CosmoLex took this over for me)

Used to have a feature where you could sort documents according to tabs (such as date modified, name, etc). This feature was disabled which makes it difficult to find documents within a folder, particularly if there is a high volume of documents. Please bring this feature back!

William
Principal in VS
Rechtspraktijk, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Great Product

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: My experience with Cosmolex has exceeded my expectations. I did a lot of research on what is out there in the market and Cosmolex came out on top, primarily because of the integrated backend accounting so that I did not have to deal with QuickBooks. Over the last couple of years, using Cosmolex, has been awesome. Being able to keep track of my time with the timer, bulk entry of Timeslips, ease of sending out invoices, invoices with a link to pay electronically, inclusion of law pay as a part of the subscription, etc., etc., etc., are all wonderful parts of the experience.

Super easy to use. Billing with a timer, bulk billing (was added after I requested), super responsive customer support/chat, great reports, full back-end accounting

I can often think of new features I would love to see but obviously they cannot add everything I want immediately.

Cole
Practice Manager and Surrogacy Program Director in VS

Outstanding Practice Management Software

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: The greatest benefit is the inclusion of accounting functions such that the we can readily prepare the necessary reports for our CPA.

The software is intuitive and straightforward. All necessary options are readily accessible from a simple menu structure, and the inclusion of detailed accounting functions is truly unparalleled.

The only difficulty our firm has had has been in discerning how to remove or amend charges to clients once they have been billed and once payment has been received. However, via help and reading on the forums, we now understand this process and it is not difficult.

Laura
Bookkeeper in VS

It is easy to get around the program

4,0 5 jaar geleden

I like that it is easy to get around the program and many things are self-explanatory. I also appreciate the tutorials that are available.

1. I sat down with our accountant and went through the chart of accounts - we wanted to erase some of the accounts that we wouldn't be using, but the system prevents it. There are so many similarly named accounts, that I am concerned about how I will make sure I am using the ones that my accountant prefers (as an example, there are at least 3 or 4 options for accounts related to payroll). 2. I don't like that I can't select the option to not allow duplicate checks for our business checking account 3. I don't like that when I click "save and next" when entering checks that the program does not automatically bring up the next check number. I have to hit "save" and then go back in and "add" another transaction in order for that to happen

5 jaar geleden

Hi Laura. We appreciate your review and feedback. I wanted to take some time to respond to the concerns that you listed 1- Chart of Accounts - While our GL account list is quite flexible, given that we have built-in automated accounting, certain accounts are core to that process and therefore cannot be deleted (fee income, trust funds, reimbursable client costs etc.). In terms of account options, only keep the accounts you wish to use. we offer 4 payroll accounts to cover the various deductions which need to be disbursed. 2- Duplicate checks - you are correct in that our operating accounts do not include the same safeguards as the trust accounts given there is no requirement, however I will enter this request on your behalf. 3- Check Numbers- I assume you are entering manual checks instead of printing them. I do see the issue you are experiencing and will report to our dev team to resolve. Thanks again for your feedback. Any other questions, please let us know.

Mary

Impressed by Customer Service

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Much more intuitive than our previous program.

I like how easy it is to get help (by phone, email, live chat, or leaving a ticket). I am still in the "learning" phase of using the software, but the customer service team has walked me through each stumbling block and taken time to show me in detail how all the features work. I'm most impressed by how they seem to anticipate my future questions and address those as well as whatever concern I originally contacted them about.

Nothing yet as far as functionality. Wish the data migration services were more affordable.

Kristal
Partner in VS
Rechtspraktijk, 2-10 werknemers

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature

5,0 3 jaar geleden

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature along with the other case management features as well as its interplay with Lawpay.

I would like to be able to search the calendar for a particular name. For example, if I am trying to determine when I met with a potential client, I would like to be able to search their name. To add to this, I would like to be able to add the potential client to the calendar entry when I add a consult so I can search the PC and determine when I met with them. As to the documents, I would like a way to search all the documents in the system. For example, I would like to be able to search for "Motion for Guardian ad Litem" and have all documents with that title, regardless of whose matter it is connected to. I would like to be able to pull matter balances from the app.

3 jaar geleden

Thanks for your feedback, Kristal! We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying the advantages of an integrated accounting and practice management system. We're always looking to optimize our solution, so please feel free to make a feature request on our support site. Thank you!

Sarah
Manager in Mexico

They are always innovating

4,0 5 jaar geleden

I wanted something that combined both the accounting and matter management in one place. What I like the most is the Customer Support. If I'm having a problem with taking a payment from a client, I can get on the phone and have them resolve the issue without delaying the client. I also like that they constantly ask us what other new functions we'd like to see. They are always innovating, and don't "drop" you once they've got your payment.

I wish it would remember matter names and auto-populate that when adding a new client--then i'd like to be able to run reports based on the kinds of matters. I'd also like to be able to bulk mail using our clients' mailing addresses. Finally, I'd like to be able to add in court dates to the matters so that when I run reports, I can filter and organize them according to court dates, rather than client name. I like Cosmolex, but it's clearly set up for civil or other slow-moving firms, and not for traffic, which adds up to 10 clients a day and has many matter subject options.

Tony
Managing Attorney in VS
Rechtspraktijk, Zelfstandig ondernemer

CosmoLex Review

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I'm not sure that it's changed anything, since I started out with cloud based services, but it's better than Clio because it doesn't screw up in a major fashion once a quarter or more.

Stability, integrated accounting, and better support staff. I used Clio for a couple years at my last firm, and I have zero intention of switching back.

The UI is not exactly intuitive. The search functionality, while robust, is also a bit awkward. Certain things that seem like they might be no-brainer search field options aren't present, and certain items that I would expect to be heavily used by most users aren't as quickly and easily accessed as I would like (for example - the calendar, in my opinion, deserves its own direct access sidebar button).