I wish it were like it used to be, simple...reliable...the best.

Beoordeeld op 20-1-2018
Chadsey L.
Marketing Manager
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Good sleep, less stress, a peaceful work week..... Oh I thought you said benefits from using this software.

Pluspunten: First, their customer support for this product is incredible. Hands down some of the best people working with this company, and knowledgable. There is also an online community behind this software that is wonderful and can usually get you where you want to go if you need help. Also the facebook group continues to grow and thrive and the company is pretty involved with keeping the quark world up to date on progress and resources.
Ok the software is pretty wonderful and through the years we continue to choose Quark for book/media publishing over other products that we use more frequently day to day with other media because Quark just has always gotten the job done and done well. That still is the case for a couple specific purposes, like brochure and booklet printing, we use Quark for because most of the tools throughout the years have remained the same. And they make simple what other products cause hair-loss over.
Quark not being a subscription based media creation software is the bee's knees!! And the ability and power of all the software can do for the price is pretty great!!

Minpunten: Over the years, they have tried to do too much in too little of time to compete but they have failed short. In the past Quark was an incredible software and the value was through the roof, but sadly that is not the case anymore. Focusing on becoming a software for producing cross-platform media and new media has taken away from their bread and butter of being the go to software for book and print media publishing over the years. The tools available, advancements and attention to their original staples of print publishing have lacked. PDFs are an area serious attention needs to be given, without having to purchase or use 3rd party integrations. Yearly updates should not have to be purchased or at least discounted much more significantly, especially considering the incompatibility of working between different years of Quark. Saving to a previous version is a must, that I which would come back, without expensive 3rd party software.

My Go to Print Layout Choice For Years

Beoordeeld op 8-9-2018
Melanie E.
Content Specialist
Marketing en reclame, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I've been using Quark for so long now that I find it hard to imagine using anything else. At a client's encouragement - and because they owned the software - I did try Scribus but for me it just did not have the same feel or great function that Quark has so after a few hours experimentation I politley delined to keep using it and went back to what I know (and achived excatly what they were looking for anyway)

Pluspunten: Since I first used this software in college (which was more than a while ago) although it has changed and evolved in my opinion it has never stopped being the best layout creation tool there is. I've used it over the years professionally across all kinds of projects and niches and even personally to create materials for the kids' soccer teams etc. And customer service always has been truly top notch, something that is increasingly rare these days.

Minpunten: The newer Adobe integrations can be annoying and for my purposes not that helpful. Yes, there are days when I wish it had never happened but not to the point that I will actively go looking for something else as an alternative.

Still number one in my opinion

Beoordeeld op 15-3-2019
Simon F.
Designer
Grafisch ontwerp, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Having used Quark since version 3, (that's early 90's on a IIx) I've grown up with it. Does pretty much everything I need it to do as a final platform for print. It's ease of use and the fact they haven't diddled around too much with its core functionality is a blessing. Never had any problems with getting work printed using Quark. Over the years I've used multiple platforms, individually and combined, in designing specifically for print. Have used Indesign. It's OK, but see no reason to change. Try to avoid subscription software these days. Now use Affinity Photo and Draw in place of Adobe stuff which quark works with without issue.

Pluspunten: Does everything I need it to do in design for print.
Accurate, fast, reliable and a very powerful bit of kit and that's all that matters in my book.

Minpunten: Not many. The tables function could be a bit more friendly regarding basic editing.
Updates are a bit expensive for the frequency which they offer them.
I miss the little alien, they could bring that back, a little bit of stress relief I miss!

Desktop publishing With QuarkXpress

Beoordeeld op 26-5-2019
Grafisch ontwerp, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I use Quarkexpress in small projects because of its user-friendly features.

Pluspunten: Ever since it was released in 1987 QuarkXPress has dominated the Desktop Publishing.
I use Quarkexpress because when its come to page layout it is the best one out there because of its simplicity.its text tools are very user-friendly and lets you get the job done very quickly and efficiently.
Also, QuarkXPress supports more printers than any other desktop publishing software.

Minpunten: There is not much not to like about QuarkXpress.
Maybe PDF exports could be easier in the future

I've used this product for years and love the ease of designing with it.

Beoordeeld op 5-6-2018
Design en ontwerp
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I can create my design projects just the way I want them to be because it offers many options and is easy to use.

Pluspunten: The many options it offers for layout, working with type and images. I love the Collect for Output, get's everything in one place. Resizing pages when needed, the gradations, the HTML options are great. I have found Quark much easier to use than InDesign.

Minpunten: I'd have to say the cost, it's expensive for a stand-alone product. Because of the high price I am very slow to upgrade to newer version. Which makes for a bigger learning curve when I do upgrade.

A great way to build pages for newspaper production

Beoordeeld op 30-7-2018
Steve R.
Vice President
Online media, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: It's the best program for page production, bar none.

Pluspunten: Quark is a great way to put together newspaper pages. It's easy to design award-winning, sharp pages, and I have won multiple industry awards using Quark. There are so many useful functions that assist the page builder, and it's a fast program once all the nuances are learned.

Minpunten: Very few cons, maybe the most being that it tends to crash occasionally. But sometimes it crashes more on different computers, so it may not be a total problem with the program.

simple and fast, functions that go straight to the point when designing

Beoordeeld op 22-5-2018
Henry D.
Diseñador gráfico
13-50 werknemers
Waar voor je geld

Pluspunten: I can make a newspaper page in just 10 minutes, because of the ease of handling the palette of styles and predesigned templates in a window, the QPS function for me is great for assigning press releases to journalists easily and quickly. equally the way to create the styles is quite easy

Minpunten: It is horrible that this program suddenly closes for no reason, both in mac and pc, I do not know if it is because it requires a lot of memory, because I also do not like it to be quite heavy, and when handling many jpeg files the interface becomes slow , so I'm forced to do it some time in several documents. The way I manage bitmaps does not please me very much.

QuarkXPress

Beoordeeld op 8-11-2018
Angel G.
Graphic Design Manager
Computersoftware, 501-1.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: QuarkXPress is a great product. I would recommend it to anyone working in the creative field. It can be use for print and digital design. I use the product to create advertisements, collateral, packaging, flyers, success stories, white papers, guides, spec sheets, interactive PDFs, and so on.

Pluspunten: Easy to use. Has lots of features. Integrates well with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. Love that you can create digital and interactive files.

Minpunten: Some features are hard to find. Would like to see more training available.

Quark is bittersweet but can’t compete with Indesign

Beoordeeld op 4-12-2018
Russell K.
HR Compliance Analyst
Bankwezen, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I’ve used quarkxpress for over ten years, longer than any other single piece of software. I converted to indesign kicking and screaming because of how different the workflow was because I was so picky. If you’re just starting out, I’d suggest you look at indesign. If you’re picking up someone else’s work, you can almost everything indesign can do quark can do too.

Pluspunten: After Apple’s Pages application, it is the easiest and simplest major print design software out there that you can use fairly intuitively if you’ve used a computer graphics program before. Just watching some tutorials online you can easily edit other people’s work fairly easily without much training. The second best feature of quark is the powerful xtentions that exist out there on the market. Other programs had this too but quark was the first to do this. Xtentions really streamlined and automated a lot of repetitive design tasks like updating prices and phone numbers (xcatalog).

Minpunten: It lacks full transparency gradients and doesn’t have adequate photo layering capabilities like opacities and layer modes. It also lacks a wysiwyg font menu so you can’t see they style of the font you’re using until you select it and enter some type. Quark is also a bit unstable at times. Prone to crashes.

Used to be my page layout go-to, but has become an every-now-and-then instead

Beoordeeld op 16-3-2018
Chris T.
Hoger onderwijs, 501-1.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Until Adobe InDesign overtook the market, Quark was the king of layout software. If it weren't for InDesign within Adobe Creative Cloud, Quark would still be perfectly acceptable and user-friendly to meet layout and desktop publishing needs.

Pluspunten: I like the fairly straight-forward interface and ease of use after you familiarize yourselves with a few tutorials and hands-on layout projects. Improvements and updates throughout the years have allowed Quark to still have a foothold in layout software, despite the Adobe InDesign market takeover. Being a subscription based service is a plus, since I don't find myself needing to use Quark as often as I used to.

Minpunten: The features and functionality simply haven't been able to match or overtake InDesign's capabilities. Doesn't work as seamlessly with Photoshop and Illustrator the way InDesign does.

I use QuarkxPress for all my print marketing materials.

Beoordeeld op 2-4-2018
Grafisch ontwerp
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I really like the software ease of use and even with updates that core elements stay the same. I find it easy to create the layout I need without all the extra tools and setting found in some other software.

Minpunten: I do find the software slow to load and I do have frequent crashes. I also find it does not use all the fonts and font weights that my system has, that I know work within Photoshop for example.

Some nice features, but lacking many. Rickety user experience

Beoordeeld op 14-1-2019
Jonathan H.
Computer Engineer
Levensmiddelen- en drankenindustrie, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We were able to get our project done (a technical user manual). QuarkXPress had the features we needed to get the job done, but some of QuarkXPress's limitations negatively impacted the end product. As a former InDesign user, InDesign has all the features that QuarkXPress has, plus more options and control. The QuarkXPress interface is buggy and frankly feels unfinished. I am shocked that a software that began in the 80s and dominated the market at one point is so low quality. I've used freeware that felt more polished and reliable.

Pluspunten: Nice abstraction features like paragraph and character styles so you can change a style once and QuarkXPress updates your whole document. Master pages are very useful for streamlining the creation of a large document (we used it to automatically show chapter headings on every page of a user manual). 60 days of free tech support is a nice perk.

Minpunten: Design flaws in software are a constant obstacle. Can't open multiple projects at once, makes transferring things to a new project a huge pain. Table of contents automation lacks customization. Scrolling on a page with 15-20 elements is slow on a modern computer. I call customer support asking for help to get Table styles to work, and they respond that Table styles just don't work on some tables and I have to live with it. User interface hides itself when window is out of focus for no reason, infuriating when trying to follow a tutorial in a web browser. Undo operations frequently crash the program. Anytime you click on one of the palettes in the side bar, the whole user interface goes into a mini-seizure and flashes light and dark. Exporting PDF has no progress bar, the software just goes "not responding" for 10-20 minutes so you have no idea how long you will have to wait. The support community is sparse and their help forum confirmation email didn't send even after requesting new ones, so I wasn't able to join and ask questions.

Great product

Beoordeeld op 19-2-2019
Lifestyles Editor
Nieuwsbladen, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: QuarkXPress is a great tool to have. Our company uses it for page design and it was easy to learn and master. We also recently used it for a book design.

Minpunten: It will sometimes lock up and close out on its own, losing any unsaved changes. It can be very frustrating. It happens on several computers, so we're not sure if it is our server or the program causing the issue.

Good program

Beoordeeld op 12-7-2018
Lonnie M.
Statistician and webmaster
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: It's a simple common-sense program that typically can be picked up by a new user quickly because it relates to many other commonly used software programs.

Pluspunten: Quark XPress makes designing pages simple. It allows users to efficiently create the looks they want to achieve.

Minpunten: Some of the shortcuts are a little complicated but even those you get used to after using the program for a while.

QuarkXPress

Beoordeeld op 9-5-2019
Junior Graphic Designer
Publiceren, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Overall QuarkXPress does what I need and does it well.

Pluspunten: QuarkXPress is an easy to use interface with a variety of tools and options that enables the user to create well crafted designs for a wide variety of platforms. You have full control over elements of the design and can incorporate a plethora of different elements. With their conversion and simple importing you can work on a variety of filetypes and incorporate many elements into a piece.

Minpunten: Although the user interface is pretty intuitive and simple - it is very outdated. The design of the program doesn't hold up to the designs it can produce. This design of the program can be off putting and visually tiring/harsh. There's also the unfortunate fact that Adobe has more options and capabilities that QuarkXPress doesn't which leads me back to alternate programs.

An amazing software that helped my team in publishing the college newspaper!

Beoordeeld op 26-4-2018
Antonios V.
Student
Kunst en nijverheid, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: To build, create and prepare the college newspaper. It's the ideal software for publishing!

Pluspunten: Massive offer of layouts, options and colour palettes to create and build a web or print magazine. I love the updated Java Script options, the typography menus for modifying and choose the right font and also the tools for publishing and saving a project for online purposes.

Minpunten: More Java Script layouts and themes should be available, apart from the standard ones. The modification is easy but still there is a need for an update with more modern themes.

Quark XPress

Beoordeeld op 17-6-2019
Lynn G.
Design en ontwerp, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I have used this software from the late 1980s - a long time. It continually improves. I would love to always work in it, but not every printer or client wants their project designed in Quark. Still, it is an amazing software for a graphic designer who loves perfect type on a page.

Pluspunten: The detail you can create with type. You can control all aspects in a layout. I love this!!!

Minpunten: Not as many printer will accept a Quark Xpress document. Most require Adobe Indesign for print projects.

My first software for diagraming magazines

Beoordeeld op 8-6-2018
Abdiel P.
Independent Business Owner
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Easy to use, multiple options to export and make impressive presentations such as HTML5, very complete and elegant typography tool, compatibility with other similar programs.

Minpunten: I can not open INDD extension files, I must ask the sender to export the files in an IDML extension, it is a bit inconvenient but nothing impossible.

QuarkXPress is great!

Beoordeeld op 6-3-2019
Senior Project Manager
Publiceren, 201-500 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: It's intuitive and easy to use. Even a beginner should be able to easily design in this once you have been using it for an hour or two. Even better, you don't need a subscription for it! I have used Quark and Adobe InDesign and prefer Quark.

Minpunten: I don't have any complaints, I think it's a matter of what you were trained on: Quark vs InDesign.

Simple to use and ton of features

Beoordeeld op 31-1-2018
Jose M.
Social Media Director
Gezondheid, wellness en fitness, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Saves a ton of time

Pluspunten: Another reviewer Chadsey really nailed all the pros and cons of this software. It's great that it is subscription based and anytime you need help with something, their customer support is quick to help.

Minpunten: I think once a new update comes out, the owners of the previous version should get to upgrade for free or at the very least at a significant discount. Not knowing when the new version will come out can prevent you from buying the current version.

The Best!

Beoordeeld op 12-2-2019
Joel S.
Marketing en reclame, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We use it for everything from newsletters, magazines to brochures and creating PDF's as well, catalogs.

Pluspunten: Love the many functions and features it has for our newsletter and magazine publishing. As well for our clients design projects.

Minpunten: Lots to learn with the many features it has. Must take time out for learning.

We use it this product for years but we have to switch

Beoordeeld op 25-2-2019
Ale R.
Editor
Nieuwsbladen, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Amazing we use it for years, but we have to change to more modern product can solve the current workflow of digital/print media

Pluspunten: Quarkxpress was the standart for printing. we really love it, we use it for make books, and magazines. Is relative easy to use (not easy but kind that) and get results. If you go for make prints books, is amazing... but if you work in print and digital media... well is gonna be a pain.

Minpunten: The big issue is QuarkXPress dont adapt to the "new standards", like make books for prints and digitals with all the formats (epub, kdp, and other) for all the markets. So you have remake the book for digital, other products save that more time because offer a solution to that problem Also the pricing is very expensive, they should try to find another model In the last 5-10 years they lost the market because of that. I hope QuarkXPress get it because we love it

Quark Publishing is a Standard

Beoordeeld op 1-5-2019
Web Developer
Marketing en reclame, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Overall, my experience with Quark was super and the program is a high quality desktop publishing program.

Pluspunten: I have used Quark since the very early versions and have seen it evolve with the publishing needs and trends. Image placement was always the strong point in my opinion.

Minpunten: I would have to say the cost because a bit of a hurdle.

Professional software

Beoordeeld op 20-8-2018
Yuliya L.
BOM coordinator
Machine- en installatiebouw, 501-1.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: The best part of the QuarkXPress is the variety of different functions that will allow user to work on either small of big scale publishing project. I used it for 4 page marketing booklets and over hundred pages product catalogues. Love it.

Minpunten: You have to wait before it will run, the software is huge.

QuarkXpress is a great tool.

Beoordeeld op 23-11-2017
Laron H.
QA Analyst
Nieuwsbladen, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I like the way QuarkXpress is structured. The interface is quite straight forward for a design tool. I love that a number of products can be designed using Quark, from books, the brochures, to posters and Newsletters. Quark, in my humble opinion, is probably the best tool for publication designs.

Minpunten: Not much cons, in my experience. However, I think for image editing, it should have more features to edit graphics.