Dentrix Ascend review

Beoordeeld op 24-8-2019
Bevin M.
Owner/pediatric dentist
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: overall i like the product but correcting the accounting issues is something that is very frustrating and would possibly cause our practice to return to Dentrix

Pluspunten: like that its cloud based and always evolving with updates as users make recommendations to improve. I like that I can access it anywhere.

Minpunten: I do not like the line item accounting and that credits can not be left on the ledger without affecting provider totals. A/R from previous months changes based on patient over-payments. We have all our fee schedules in and we do write offs at time of service /claim generation but there are still instances where we have over-collected and the only way to have the adjustment for the patient over-payment is to put the EOB in as insurance over-payment which is not accurate or refund the patient directly when the EOB is received, which is not practical

Great Ascend

Nicholas H.
Practice Manager
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Ascend has made it possible to cross train our clinical staff through it’s intuitive design; and this has made our patient turnover very efficient, while reducing the need for addition front desk personnel.

Pluspunten: This software saves countless hours of additional administrative work and processing mistakes. Our office switched from Eagle Soft, which we ran on a closed network, about 5 years ago; and after learning how to use theAscend software, I can honestly say that it was one of the best decisions that we have ever made for our practice.

Minpunten: There’s nothing that I don’t particularly dislike about the software. However, there is room for improvement with some of the newer features. For example, real time benefits along with automated verification and eligibility would make Ascend the perfect software, in my option.

Satisfied from the start

James B.
Practice Owning Dentist
Ziekenhuis- en gezondheidszorgbranche, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We have always been happy with Dentrix Ascend. Our IT needs and budget are a fraction of what they otherwise would be. We can always access and stay up to date with no additional cost or waste of time. Ascend continues to get better and better.

Pluspunten: Intuitive. It has eliminated wasted time and money on training.

Minpunten: While being next generation technology and cloud based it has been very slow to publish APIs and become operable with so many other businesses that can enhance dental practice management.

Beoordeeld op 3-9-2019
Mirza B.
Operations Manager
Ziekenhuis- en gezondheidszorgbranche, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Analyzing the accounts receivables ,unscheduled treatment plans ,recare patients,patients portions and so on are some most needed and valuable reports from the power reporting.

Pluspunten: The best thing i like in this software is there user friendly functionality which make it so different and valuable to all.

Minpunten: Sometimes it get froze so we need to refresh the browser to proceed.

Multi-site infrastructure

Beoordeeld op 23-8-2019
Greg M.
sr. director of strategy
Directiekantoor, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: support, from both my customer success manager, Jill Nesbitt, as well as the tech support team have made the experience of converting to Ascend easy to manage

Pluspunten: ability to report, review, and manage all offices without having to be on site.

Minpunten: there are many of my current feature requests included in the road map, but currently i would like to see a marketing campaign tool.

Easy to use software

Amber M.
Ziekenhuis- en gezondheidszorgbranche, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: My overall experience with Dentrix Ascend is good - When we find a glitch or would like to see something change, we are able to get help from customer service quickly. I like that Dentrix accepts requests to make changes and prioritizes the requests by how many other companies are requesting the same change.

Pluspunten: What I like most about Dentrix Ascend is that it is easy to use, web based so I can access the program anytime. They have a very good resource and support center to answer any questions I have. I utilize this for training new employees.

Minpunten: What I like least about Dentrix Ascend is that reports that I run are not consistant. I can run one report that gives me figures/numbers and run a different report for the same criteria and I can get different results.

Dentrix for dental practice management

Beoordeeld op 20-8-2019
Srinivas V.
lecturer
Hoger onderwijs, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Patient appointment and payment methods are great. there are no features that allows to capture patient feedback. charting is good and can be changed over time. referral process is still manual. there should be a voluntary/ optional training program for subscribers every year offered by the company.

Pluspunten: user friendly, easy layout, great features

Minpunten: tricky to use, inability to add templates, referral processes

Every Update Makes it Better

Beoordeeld op 21-6-2019
Kathy H.
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: The best thing so far is being able to utilize Patient Communications, emails and texts make a huge difference with our recare.

Pluspunten: This software is so user friendly. We are readily able to find what we need using the drop downs. When we want to add something to a chart it is clear where to find the chart, or notes, etc. Every time there is an applied update it improves the process and makes sense. Ascend is very in-touch with what we, the users, need.

Minpunten: There are only a few hiccups we have found but they are small and we have found work-arounds; some verbiage in the texts or emails, but they are all being looked at or addressed.

Excellent move from server-based Dentrix

Beoordeeld op 9-11-2018
Elizabeth C.
Office Administrator
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Before using Ascend, we were constantly having server and networking problems. There was no telling what morning we would come in and have a problem accessing our PMS. It happened so frequently that when we finally had our server crash, we jumped on the opportunity to upgrade to a cloud based program. Although using Ascend is a complete change from using Dentrix, we became familiar with the new program within a few weeks and have never looked back! It was the best choice we ever made!

Pluspunten: I love that the software makes regular updates that I don't have to download and apply myself. The ease of having our program available on different devices like an iPad makes it extremely convenient. Ascend is highly user friendly, if you can use a webpage, you can use the program. I also love not ever having to worry about an access problem when I have an issue with the server!

Minpunten: There are some features not available. There aren't as many options to change settings for individual practices as there are in server based programs. It was difficult to get used to using only one module at a time; ie: I can't have the ledger open on one person and look the chart at the same time.

Dentrix Ascend

Edward C.
dentist
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Easy to use. Easy to switch to different screens, not separate modules. Available anywhere, anytime.

Minpunten: Still has some issues with losing appts.

Dentix Ascend

Beoordeeld op 22-11-2019
Bruce C.
Dentist Owner
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We are clearly making better decisions and better financial forecasts with the dashboard. It has made the phrase "work smarter, not harder" a reality for us!

Pluspunten: There are multiple things to like about this software. First and foremost is the ease of use and intuitive flow. The second and for some of us, importantly, the support is immediate, friendly and definitive. Problems are easily solved during our busiest time at the office.

Minpunten: The end of month statement procedure took more time to generate initially than I thought appropriate. There have been continual improvements to that function.

Dentrix Ascend Review

Veronica H.
Medische praktijk, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We have used it for several years and have never had any major issues.

Pluspunten: It is very user friendly. If you have any issues with any part of the software you can go to the help center or community forum and find the answers you are looking for.

Minpunten: Setting up reports are a bit difficult, and entering patient information sometimes doesnt transfer to a family member.

Keeping it real-

Beoordeeld op 3-5-2019
Dorca P.
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Our team just got onboard with the online booking feature and it seems to reaching those hard to reach recare patients, which is great.

Pluspunten: As a first time dental software user, I am pleased with the interface and ease of navagating through Dentrix Ascend. I love that they are constantly updating and bringing new features to Ascend that are specific requests of most of their customer base. They go above and beyond hearing and addressing our needs as the consumer.

Minpunten: What areas of improvement I feel are needed, having the ability to change an insurance from primary to secondary and visa versa without using so many clicks and steps. Also having the ability to print detailed receipts for specific collections, more specifically for Flexible Spending and End of year tax statements. Otherwise, perfect system.

Ascend is the BEST!

Beoordeeld op 21-8-2019
Mendy R.
Dentist
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I was a long-time regular Dentrix user so when I branched out to open my own practice, I wanted something that was similar to what I was used to but also had even better perks! And I feel like we got just that with Ascend. It’s easy to use from any computer, laptop, iPad, phone or even from home. And the BEST part is they are always asking their current users what can be improved upon... they want their clients happy with Ascend! I love it.

Minpunten: Only a couple of cons... but I think that the Ascend software developers are currently working on these:
No time clock within Ascend
No lab case manager

Dentrix Ascend Review

Mia K.
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Dentrix Ascend helps us to schedule patients, assist with insurance, and allow us to have paperless office, which is the bulk of what we need in the office.

Pluspunten: I like that I can access this software from any location and even on my phone. It allows me to be able to assist patient's and access the schedule when I'm not in the office.

Minpunten: I don't like the way the Day sheet report prints out. I don't like how if a dollar amount is over $1000 it doesn't show the full number on the report when it's printed out. I also don't like that I can't tag payments with multiple tags. For example, If I enter a credit card payment I can only tag they credit card type but can't add like a tag for the doctor that provided the service for whom that payment is going towards. I also don't like that we can't customize text or send manual text messages to patients. I'm still getting use to using the software but the power reporting I find it not very user friendly.

Fired my IT. Never have another Network and software issues

Beoordeeld op 14-8-2019
Peter K.
Dentist
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Cloud storage with HIPPA compliance.
Being able to access the complete software at off site .
Constant new feature updates.

Minpunten: Lagging response due to internet speed and connection.
Separate module for xrays

Best Dental Software I've Used To Date

Beoordeeld op 11-4-2019
Kayte B.
Ziekenhuis- en gezondheidszorgbranche, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: This software has helped our practice optimize each patient appointment and improved our office flow dramatically. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cloud based software.

Pluspunten: I have utilized four separate software systems in dental offices and Dentrix Ascend has by far been the best. If you are computer/internet versed it is a great software to invest in. Being cloud based I love being able to access the software anywhere, they are always updating and adding great new features, the customer service representatives are helpful and friendly every time you call in, the insurance area is very impressive, everything is easy to use and navigate (excluding reports).

Minpunten: The reporting area in Dentrix is very hard to navigate. I do have to call in to run most reports that are not standard, but the customer service reps are always kind and eager to help.

Critical Part of Success

Beoordeeld op 1-11-2019
Ivy C.
dentist
Medische praktijk, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I purchased a satellite office from a retiring dentist. I am practicing 2 1/2 - 3 days a week by appointment only by myself (no staff). I can't imagine running the office without Dentrix Ascend. I worked as an associate for 16 years at a practice that used standard Dentrix. I keep telling my old boss to purchase Dentrix Ascend. They never uploaded the updates that came via disk, so they kept piling up. They did not want to pay for the IT guy to come to the office to update the system.

Pluspunten: I love the automatic updates to features that pop up when I log in with full explanations available for me to choose when to watch.

Minpunten: I have no complaints about this software.

Review

Beoordeeld op 1-11-2019
Miroslav K.

Opmerkingen: satisfied 7 out of 10

Pluspunten: cloud base solution. easy of use software.

Minpunten: Missing some of the key features such as the ability to send predetermination to second insurance, tracing predetermination claims.

Dentrix Ascend review

Beoordeeld op 26-10-2018
Susan L.
Dentist owner
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We are an older, small practice that doesn’t take insurance- all fee for service. We file for the patient but don’t know if they get paid, so there is a lot of end of month phone calling to clean up overview screen. Also the text messages should be customizable and indicate when one is sent. Overall, I am pleased with the program and the support and don’t know why there are so many negative comments. I really like being able to access from home or my cell phone.

Pluspunten: Cloud based. Good support. Good initial training. Great for a small fee-for-service practice that doesn’t need a bunch of bells and whistles.

Minpunten: 1. The monthly fee. 2. Can’t run Xray program on Mac (maybe things have changed). 3. Have to click numerous times to get to patient notes.

Mixed feelings...

Beoordeeld op 21-6-2019
Steve G.
Owner/Dentist/CDO
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We are a multi-site group practice so going to a cloud EMR just seemed essential. Going with HS made sense b/c of the stability. Some features are really great... and some are major works in progress IMO.... some are just lacking altogether. It seems with the financial backing of HS the software could really be developed faster and with more features and if it did that, would probably completely own and dominate the cloud platforms. Right now, within the community of DDS I'm associated with, I still hear people gripe about Ascend and talk about how the prefer other cloud based sofwares... but we just wanted to go w/ Schein b/c of the long term stability. So we're hoping the features that are lacking will be built in soon - hopefully 6-12 months max. Things like online forms, robust a medical history module, a great lab case manager module, and a referral module seem essential to modern group practices...

Pluspunten: Ascend was the obvious choice for us b/c H.S. is a stable company that isn't going anywhere. though we had heard some really good things about a few other platforms... stability seemed critical. The support has been very good through the facebook group and the support of friday forums, etc... this has felt very good...

Minpunten: There are some - what I would consider very basic- features that I am surprised they would even launch a platform without. Starting with a robust - AWESOME - medical history form that new patients (and even existing patients) could fill out prior to their visit. This feature should be online and built into the software. From what I can tell, groups that have been on Ascend for years are still doing paper... scan... upload to the D.C. That feels very 2005. Thought Ascend is "new" (7 years?) it still lacks an online medical history form and a robust way of customizing, having it pop up at visits, etc. Dentrix core finally just got this... but it hasn't showed up in Ascend yet. Things like referring procedures in the software.... right now there is no way to track referrals. Things like a lab case manager... these are every day things in a dental office and we are stuck using major work arounds with paper tracking and google docs for lab cases and yes- we're struggling to get a good system going. This seems like after 7 years it should be in the software. I'd like to know some realistic timelines (+/- 3 months?) of when features like this might be coming. it's hard to know if "soon" means in 2-3 years or in 3-6 months. Hopefully some of these very "basic" features will be implemented soon.

Gutless

Beoordeeld op 28-4-2017
Jesse W.
Insurance Specialist
Bron: SoftwareAdvice
Waar voor je geld

Opmerkingen: Our office made the switch from Viive, which itself was a very frustrating piece of software as it would constantly drop connection to the server even after several "fixes" and technical support sessions with both Mac and Viive. I was excited for Dentrix Ascend, being a long-time Dentrix veteran, knowing the power of the Dentrix applications. However, in my experience with Dentrix Ascend so far, it is clear that Ascend is a gutless wonder, especially compared with how powerful Dentrix Proper is (and even Eaglesoft, for that matter!), and as such, is has been an utter disappointment. Full disclosure: I handle the front office/insurance/accounting end of things, so I cannot speak to the clinical end of things. My review is solely of the front office and accounting end of things. Keep in mind it may be delightful for the clinician. I am pleased with the fact that we no longer have to deal with constant server connection fails, so that is nice. But still not enough to make up for Ascend's other shortcomings. My first gripe is that once an insurance carrier is established, you cannot edit the payor ID. And once groups are established under a carrier, you cannot move the groups. This means, if a carrier is set up incorrectly (say, with payor ID 06126 that directs the clearing house to print and mail all claim) with several groups, you have to manually recreate the carrier and each group underneath, which is a cumbersome and time-consuming process. Secondly, with the procedure codes, many of them default to "mouth" for treatment area, even for common codes that virtually every insurance company requires more specific information. If the procedure code is used a single time, you lose the ability to edit even the treatment area. This was a big problem for us, as treatment plans converted over with several codes that are uneditable because they are "in use." We have had to create several "alias" codes, which the clinical side now has to remember to choose. Third, Viive allowed for payment tables under each group (similar to Dentrix Proper and Eaglesoft and several other software options), that would allow any exceptions in payment to be logged for future prediction. This is not the case in Ascend. This was an important Viive feature for us because we participate with an insurance company who calculates payment based on two fee schedules: maximum allowable per provider contract and maximum allowable according to policy contract. With Ascend, you are at the mercy of coverage percentages and cannot account for the two separate yet inseparable fee schedule. I got excited when I saw the "copay" field in the coverage table and spent a large amount of time updating this field for each group, only to find out from technical support that this is not a covered feature. So, ultimately we have had to develop external tools to help us predict patient responsibility. Dentrix Ascend has completely failed us in this area. Finally, we have hit a roadblock with NEA attachments. We are having to continue using Viive because of the inability of ledgers to be transferred over to Ascend (ledgers include open claims). To make a long story short, because we are maintaining a subscription to NEA through Viive in order to be able to keep sending attachments for unresolved claims, we are unable to send attachments through Ascend. Our only options are 1) to terminate our NEA subscription under Viive and print and mail all claims requiring attachments, 2) to manually move treatment over to Ascend and resume claim troubleshooting under Ascend, or 3) print and mail all claims from Ascend requiring attachments. We are probably going to go with option (1), but really, any option is a huge inconvenience. Bottom line, as the numbers and insurance person, I would never recommend this software in its current state. I am a huge Eaglesoft critic, but I would wholeheartedly recommend even that software over Dentrix Ascend. Ascend, you have a long way to go before you will get my vouch.

Pluspunten: Access from anywhere, line-item accounting, some user-defined reports, everything is backed up in the cloud. There is potential.

Minpunten: Just about everything else: confusing ledger, user-unfriendly insurance setup, inability to edit procedure codes, inability to override insurance payments at a group level and on a procedure code level, NEA attachment failures.

New to Ascend

Beoordeeld op 8-10-2019
Sonya G.
Practice Manager
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Nothing is really solved utilizing Ascend. Our experience is that it is getting the job done, however, it was a step back from our previous software, as far as, capability and features.

Pluspunten: I like the ease of importing documents; the fact that it is web based, accessible anywhere; ease of attachments for insurnace claims

Minpunten: For every one click for an action in our previous software, there are 4 or 5 at least, in one case 10 clicks to perform an action. Bulk ins payments and printing are examples.
Reporting is complicated and time consuming. Not simple and effecient at all.
There is not a central noting location and all cannot be viewed simply nor at the same time.

Great Dental Software

Beoordeeld op 10-5-2019
Sharon S.
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: We truly love the ease of this software, it's easy to learn, anyone new in the office is able to learn the system very quickly. For our office, it was a perfect solution, we have multiple locations and can quickly toggle between locations for scheduling and payment, it has made it extremely easy to oversee both locations. Another great aspect to this software, since it is web based they are able to continually update and make it even better, this has been great, we are happy with everything they have created!

Minpunten: There are several features we are really waiting for, an online time clock, and online RX.

highly recommended

Dawood A.
office manager
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: i really love the software hope they can make the reporting a little easier to work with.

Pluspunten: i used to use so many plug ins application to do run the business the i wanted, but now i just have Dentrix Ascend and that can take care of all those thing for me. the ability to have access for any where and from any device is a blessing.

Minpunten: i would like to see more about reporting. its not as great as it was in the original dentrix software. but you can do a lot more with this one.