Square Payroll reviews

Over Square Payroll

Full-service salarisadministratie, gebouwd door Square. Betaal je team met een paar klikken. Beheer je bedrijf op één plek. Het platform verwerkt je belastingaangifte.

Meer informatie over Square Payroll

It is so easy to use, everything is online, it is inexpensive.

For me as a new business owner it kept kicking back my federal tax ID number as the wrong one. I didn't know what that was about and entered it nearly 30 times.

Beoordelingen van Square Payroll

Waar voor je geld

Square Payroll heeft een totaalscore van 4,7 van 5 sterren op basis van 584 gebruikersreviews op Capterra.

Heb je Square Payroll eerder gebruikt?

Reviews filteren (584)

Bryan
Kunst en nijverheid, 2-10 werknemers

The Perfect Solution for a Small Business Owner

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: We could not be happier with the Value of Square Payroll for our small business. It was exactly what our business needed and we love it. We were very nervous about taxes and getting folks paid correctly not being business owners before. Square Payroll made it incredibly easy to get setup, and then they just take care of it all. Then we get nice reports to get to my accountant, and all of the information you may need you can dowload at any time. It's an incredible value.

The ease of use and setup of Square Payroll was incredible. It honestly is a plug and play type of software. Being a new small business owner Square Payroll was exactly what we were looking for. It's also great to have a one stop shop. We use Square Point of Sale in our shop, and to be able to get all of the sales information as well as payroll information from the same place is incredibly convenient.

Our small business runs payroll once a month. We wanted to run payroll on the 15th of each month. Changing/customizing the date on the monthly payroll was not an option (monthly runs on the 1st of each month). Not a show stopper by any means.

Chandra
Chandra
Cosmetica, 2-10 werknemers

Payroll Basics Covered

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: Other than the additional Square account, I am/was super happy with the software. Perfect for startups and small businesses. I highly recommend!

I loved that this was plug and play ready, user friendly and made payroll less of a headache. Tracking hours, schedules and pay was extremely easy and they handled all the government paperwork after set up. Reminders were super helpful and I never missed payroll deadlines.

I didn't like that I couldn't activate previously canceled plans. Since the pandemic caused me to temporarily shutdown I had to cancel the service to save the monthly fee. I was super disappointed that I had to create a NEW Square account just to get access to the plan again. In doing so, I had two locations, two Square accounts and double the headache of managing. Honestly this was one the biggest reasons I decided to switch to Zenoti to streamline everything into one account and make management easier.

Michelle
Owner/Hairstylist in VS
Cosmetica, 2-10 werknemers

Effecient and Timely

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: My overall experience with payroll has been amazing. Even when my account was compromised, Square still made sure that my employees got paid.

Square is the most effecient product that I have ever used. I can make my appointments, and the fact that my team can clock in and out, make appointments, and get paid in a timely manner, leaves alot of the stress off of me as the owner. I can work in one program, I don't believe that Square is missing any features as far as payroll is concerned. Payroll pays my taxes for me and it pays it in a timely fashion.

Nothing bad that I can really say about square payroll.

Amanda
Co-owner in VS
Voedselproductie, 2-10 werknemers

Happy with my purchase

5,0 2 jaar geleden

The ease of use is the biggest pro for me. Requires very little prep work for me to prepare payroll, unlike other companies I have used in the past.

There is very little downside to Square Payroll, the only issue I have come across has been that I am not able to cancel or make any changes to payroll later in the week. There have been times where I have made an error and did not realize it until midweek and it is already too late to make any changes.

Francel
Bouw, 2-10 werknemers

Square Payroll

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: I am able to make Square Payroll our one stop shop. It files and pays our quarterly taxes, W-2's, Worker's Comp Insurance, Employee Benefits, and Wage Garnishments.

Square Payroll is super user friendly. It has a ton of features we use such as time tracking, direct deposit, and benefits.

I would prefer if we could change the cut off day time to a day later in the week but still allow for Friday direct deposits. Currently the cutoff is set to 11pm on Monday for a Friday direct deposit. Mondays are always super busy for us and there are many times I am unable to get payroll in on time, resulting in me having to write checks.

Louis
Lead Purchase / Sales in VS
Computersoftware, 11-50 werknemers
Bron: SoftwareAdvice

Square Payroll has proven a valuable solution to organizing and managing many vital aspects of our financial output system to employees.

5,0 4 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: We were pleasantly surprised by Square Payroll's deep feature set and found that this application can contain just about every aspect
of payroll function to employees. This application offers access for employees to individual accounts in order import hours worked and to create
reports regarding vacation hours or even company benefits to name a just few of many parameters.

We appreciated the inclusion of so many capabilities inside the Square Payroll application such as salary calculators which generate accurate payroll rates individually or by group. This is one of many features Square Payroll offers through an easy to use front line interface. Our team was also impressed with Square Payroll's ability to integrate with our third party operational management software already in place. Synchronization is proven in most cases quite fluid. As Square Payroll supports mobile use on IOS and Android, access is readily available for employees when remote.

With such an outstanding and comprehensive application , our team found Square Payroll's customer service difficult to contact and almost as equally difficult to work with during our installation and integration phases. We are happy to report that this level of service improved as we progressed with Square Payroll's application features. There is a rather robust and informed online forum that is available where so many issues can be resolved thus improving client quality control levels.

Josie
Detailhandel, 2-10 werknemers

Easy & Intuitive Payroll Software

5,0 6 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Square's Payroll is insanely easy to use and navigate. I've been using it since Jan 1, 2015 and my only wish is that I started it sooner. I like that I can offer direct deposit to my employees and pick how often to pay them. They love it too because it's so simple, they don't have to worry about payroll. The backend for both me and my employees is also really easy to understand. I highly recommend it.

It's easy to use and understand. My employees said signing up and filling out their w-2 info was the easiest ever. Nobody had to ask me (or their Mom's!), it's direct and in plain English. It calculates paid sick time for me (as per the new sick leave act in CA). Submitting my quarterly federal tax returns and CA quarterly report of wages is also easy. It's so easy I don't even know how to do it because Square does it automatically for me! Customer service is also great. One time I received a notice from EDD that I filed late, I called Square and they took care of it. My fee was waived, I haven't had an issue since.

I wish the Pay history offered more sorting options like their Sales information. I'd like to be able to see it by year, month, quarter, etc. I know Payroll is still kinda "new" so it wouldn't surprise me if this is offered later.

Richard
Levensmiddelen- en drankenindustrie, 2-10 werknemers

Square Payroll

5,0 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I run my payroll on a bi-weekly basis. The use of this software means that I do not have to worry about filing the various and sundry state and local tax statements quarterly and annually. This is done automatically. I also do not have to figure out the various taxes to be withheld. The software does it. Although I have a small business, I can run payroll in less that five minutes. It doesn't matter if I am in my high season, or my low season, it takes the same amount of time because of the integration.

I own a small gelato shop. I use Square as my POS, my time card system and for my payroll. The integration of the products is seamless. The time card system allows the employee to clock in and out and that time flows right into the payroll. The time card system also allows me to add a lunch break or correct a timecard if someone forgot to clock in or out. The flow from timecards to payroll is a click of the button. The payroll system also allows for individual benefits, both pre- and post-tax and both hourly or salaried employees. The taxes are paid by Square and are calculated and paid on-time, removing a big headache for me. The tax reports are easily accessible and can be downloaded for those time when they are needed, like for PPP or other loans.

The only time that I have had to call support was to find out how to put in a post-tax benefit. That was not intuitive in the software, but very easily done once you knew which button to click.

Troy
Troy
Marketing Manager in VS
Gezondheid, wellness en fitness, 501-1.000 werknemers

Square Payroll makes Payroll easy

5,0 4 maanden geleden

The Direct Deposit feature of Square Payroll makes paying employees a very streamlined and simple procedure. The W-2 Preparation features makes tax season a breeze. Sending employees W2s is all within the app. Vacation/Leave Tracking has truly increased the productivity of payroll and bookkeeping. This is the ultimate feature for this application.

I feel as though with time Square Payroll will rollout a more aesthetically pleasing interface but I do not find any cons.

Erica
Office Manager in VS

Square has taken great care of us. Always there when we have questions. Simple to employees

5,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: 1. Self controlled payroll (i.e. I can edit punches, see everything behind everyone's payroll).
2. Much faster/more efficient punches (no longer writing it down, having employees punch in and out on the ipad is so much easier).
3. I can do payroll from anywhere. I once did it on the top of Haleakala in Hawaii.
Efficient filing from payroll specialists, and being able to remove employees right away if they are no longer working for us.

1. The option to fix things right on your account. It makes accuracy and ease seamless. It is also very quick. 2. The customer support! Because I'm constantly on the go with my job, being able to send an email and receive an email response to my question makes it easy anytime and anywhere to get help. The responses are always knowledgable, patient, and consistent. 3. Being able to see the stats on our payroll is AMAZING. With previous payroll specialist it seemed like we didn't have the option to really see behind the scenes, but now we are able to see everything and every penny.

There are times that the software gets glitchy when people punch in and/or out (will say they punched in or out but didn't actually/will say they worked a different amount of hours than they actually worked). Employees can usually tell from the punch screen though if something went wrong. After letting me know, it is always an easy fix, but still a fix to have to take care of.

Mark
Lawyer in VS
Rechtspraktijk, 2-10 werknemers

Love it

5,0 2 jaar geleden

I love the ease of use and the affordability.

Better access to customer service. They seem focused on their retail cash register service than payroll.

Operations Director in VS
Detailhandel, 2-10 werknemers

Best Bang for Your Buck, No Headaches

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: I completely set up the system, enrolled all my employees, and processed my first payroll in half the time it normally took me to run a pay period using my old system.

Hands-down is the high compliance standards for very low cost. Close runner-up reasons are ease of use, both from the employer side as well as the employee side. This software is really great, offers a lot of protection, and cuts my payroll processing manhours from tens of hours every week to roughly 45 mins of double-checking things before hitting "PROCESS". Seamless direct depositing, set-up and managed by the employees themselves (though I can go in and make changes if they need help - only had that happen once so far, but still important). Very very VERY intuitive if you have spent even a little time in any other payroll software (yes, including manual spreadsheets).

I haven't had a chance yet to test the multi-state or international aspects (assuming international even exists).

DuWayne
Restaurants, 11-50 werknemers

Overwogen alternatieven:

It doesn't get any easier than this!

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: Far less time setting up new employees, minimal time spent processing payroll and several hundred dollars a month in savings.

I love the simplicity of using Square payroll. It is simple to set up and to use. It is also one of the least expensive payroll options out there.

I wish that it had a simple way of looking up employee's wage history (when raises were given specifically)

Donette
Owner in VS

Square itself has been easy to use and mostly reliable.

4,0 5 jaar geleden

The software is simple and pretty easy to use. Customer service is pretty strong and helpful with the exception of the payroll department.

The fact that an apple update, in which we couldn't control if the iPad updated EVEN when we had it set to "do not automatically update," completely messed up our system for a couple weeks was very inconvenient and was a total hinderance on our business. We had to wait for that second apple update to fix the issue but in the mean time we could't print receipts, use the reader, or open the drawer. It seems that Square should have made some kind of correction or glitch fix in the mean time to help their users continue using with ease. Also the system has gone down completely in the past, and even though you all apologize... it still puts our business at risk when we can't complete transactions, harming our customers and our reputation. We should have been compensated for all of the trouble that we faced. For payroll, it is extremely frustrating to not be able to talk to a live person when we have questions or issues. The customer service in the payroll department is not good.

Barbara
Administratie, 2-10 werknemers

Our 100% Go-To payroll software!

5,0 2 maanden geleden Nieuw

Opmerkingen: We have tried other payroll programs and always come back to Square!

So quick and easy to use. Set up is quick and easy! Reports are perfect! Payrolls are always timely and accurate. Agency reporting at state, local and federal level have always been accurate and timely

WE NEED AN ACCOUNTANT LOGIN FEATURE!!!!!!! Need a way to customize the weekly summary to load into the client bookkeeping! One sheet that explains the Federal and local withholdings for bookkeeping purposes. For example (a breakdown of EMPLOYER FICA and Employee Fica, Federal unemployment, State unemployment and state withholding need to be printed on the summary sheet)

Shawn
Consumentendiensten, 2-10 werknemers

Square Payroll is Great

5,0 7 dagen geleden Nieuw

Opmerkingen: It's accurate, easy and makes Payroll fast.

Square Payroll is fast and easy to use and it works.

It takes 4 days after processing payroll to get employees paid. However, you can apply to have that shortened to 2 days.

Christy Marie
Christy Marie
Manager of Web Development in VS
Telecommunicatie, 51-200 werknemers

Overwogen alternatieven:

Square Payroll makes it easy to run my small business

5,0 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Using Square Payroll saved me money by eliminating the need for me to hire a CPA. It was easy to set up and any initial questions I had were answered promptly and efficiently by Square. I've used Square to run a restaurant with 10+ 1099 employees and now I use it to run a small marketing firm that employs all 1099 contractors. It takes me less than 10 minutes to run payroll and get my employees paid and I am extremely satisfied with the service.

Square Payroll was is the easiest, least complicated system I have found to run payroll. I used it for four years while owning a restaurant and it was simple to add new hires and remove employees who left the company. Square files your quarterly taxes, unemployment insurance, and workers comp with each payroll run so you don't have to visit and file in all the different portals. I never had any issues with getting my employees paid on time and Square offers multiple payment options which can be customized to work with each employee.

There's nothing about Square payroll that I don't like. Square continues to add new features to help me grow my business and make payroll a breeze.

VP, Marketing & Communications in VS
Consumentengoederen, 11-50 werknemers

This is significantly easier/cheaper than big competitors

5,0 4 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I joined in the beta testing and have loved it. It definitely helped us cut our administrative costs for payroll.

I love that I can run payroll in 10 minutes or less and that they file all the necessary paperwork. The cost is based per employee, which works for my business model. They have a new app for folks on the go, too. I've downloaded that, but not used it yet.

Editing timecards isn't too bad, however, you have to wait until the employee is clocked out to make the edit and it can be easy to get busy and forget. But sometimes the system doesn't let me add a timecard from scratch. The employee doesn't drop down in the menu so I have to go add the hours to an existing timecard. This isn't a big deal if you're not carefully monitoring costs, etc. Also, my employees go back and forth between locations, so if they start at location 1 to pick supplies up and clock in there, they're clocked in at that location for the whole shift. I wish there was an option to select which location they're working at.

Alma
Muziek, 2-10 werknemers

Square Payroll Services

5,0 vorig jaar

I love Square Payroll Services. They take care of all the paperwork allowing me to manage my business.

I love this software and I plan to keep using it for many years.

KK
Assistant in VS

full function, price-friendly

4,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Save a lot of time and figure out a lot of things via this one platform. Can check the sales and manage the customer anytime via one device.

This app offers a series of services, covering lot of services about marketing promotions, employee payroll, sales report and the customer management. I like its convenience of operating the whole store and simplify the management procedures via only set up some services. I can directly contact customer via the loyalty program and quickly gain some feedback for better improvement for the product and service. Additionally, it offers some beautiful design templates for the e-gift card, which save some cost in printing out paper gift card and design fee.

The customer service is just OK because sometimes it didn't email you back in time. Square mostly will lead you to the community to see how your problem can be fixed. It did waste some time to find a related correct way to fix the problem or get an answer for the question.

Marisol
Owner/Hairstylist in VS

Over all good, easy to pay employees.

5,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Easy to learn and use

Easy to use and customer service is always willing to help but at time since they don't use the products. Some questions are hard for them to answer, giving a text book answer and not fixing the problem. Even though they were ready and willing to help in every way. I have called multiple times and have had great experiences with staff.

Easier way for a receptionist to ring out different employees to lessen any mistakes, when pulling reports. Or..... giving an option to change service provider when pulling reports, if a mistake is made. Sometimes making the report irrelevant having to manually add all service and retail because something was rung up under an another employee. When paying employees commission a mistake can create tension. Ringing out you can not make any mistakes without voiding the transaction. when the only mistake was it was under a wrong employee name.

Jean
Kunst en nijverheid, 2-10 werknemers
Bron: SoftwareAdvice

Pretty good, but not quite perfect for me

4,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I love that my employees timecards are much more accurate than my previous method of writing it on paper and figuring it out. It has helped me deal with the red tape my state imposes on me, so that's a real plus. I ultimately chose to remain with my current provider because of the lack of blank check printing capabilities. I would like a way for my employees to track their sick time taken on their apps.

I use Square for retail and appointments, so I wanted to try the payroll function. The set up was easy to do, and my employees downloaded the timecards app and didn't seem to have any problems setting it up on their end.

It says that there is a check printing function, so the first time I went to run payroll, I discovered that I needed pre-printed checks. My current provider's software prints out complete checks on check blanks that I buy online. So, I'm using the timecards function, but not the actual payroll portion. On the timecards, I still have to calculate sick pay manually. I would like my employees to be able to sign in to sick time on their own.

Gregory
Publiceren, 2-10 werknemers

Leave Payroll Processing to the Experts at Square and Focus on Front Line Business Management

4,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: I was an original beta client of Square when I opened my office in San Francisco many years ago. Now I live and work in Colorado and find the cross sector platforms of running a business so seamless and intuitive. Also in the age of remote working, now I do not fear hiring either 1099'ers or employees as Square Payroll serves as the HR master in compliance.

For decades I have used a variety of platforms to process payroll. Since I already use Square on the frontline as a merchant services platform, it makes sense to use the payroll application to keep transactions simple and easy.

The only con that I have experienced was with a third party vendor that offered insurance services as part of the add-ons. It was a short lived and minor crisis and we have found a solution.

Danielle
Owner in VS

Simple and easy to use, great value for the cost!

4,0 5 jaar geleden

Square payroll is very simple to use and gets payroll done quickly. Our employees clock in through our Square POS so when it's time to do payroll, all I have to do is upload their timecards, enter their tips or sick leave and it's done. I've used other payroll systems that are not as simple or user intuitive and I really can't believe how much time I've wasted. I love having all of my sales information and employee information in one place. It makes it easier to compare your sales VS labor and budget accordingly. I would definitely recommend it!

Customer service could be improved, mainly with wait times and resolution of issues. Usually I have to re-tell my problem to multiple customer service reps before they pass it along to someone else who will then get back to me the next day. Relaying information regarding changes employees make to their profiles, like W-4s could also be improved. It would be nice to have a separate column to enter Sick Leave VS PTO when doing payroll.

Elisa
President in VS
Diergeneeskunde, 2-10 werknemers

I love Square!

4,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: Customer service has been great when I have needed it. They create and send out W-2’s and 1099 if you pay contractors. They do all New Lenox hire reporting and taxes.

Easy to use. We use them for payment processing as well. I can do payroll in about 5-10 minutes. On boarding is easy as employees securely submit their own information.

For direct deposit you can only have your pay deposited into one bank account. There is no option for splitting.