Helpt Nederlandse bedrijven al 15 jaar
bij het vinden van de juiste software

Over VirtualBox

Virtualisatietoepassing over meerdere platforms die helpt om meerdere besturingssystemen tegelijkertijd op één machine te laten werken.

Meer informatie over VirtualBox

Variety of options to handle peripherals and networking. API allows interaction with other build products (Vagrant, Terraform, Puppet), which is great for keeping images current.

Sometimes, virtual operating system gets stuck and we have to restart the virtual box again to make it work.

Beoordelingen van VirtualBox

Prijs-kwaliteitverhouding

VirtualBox heeft een totaalscore van 4,6 van 5 sterren op basis van 871 gebruikersreviews op Capterra.

Heb je VirtualBox eerder gebruikt?

Reviews filteren (871)

Hung
Hung
Solution architect in VS
Computersoftware, 1.001-5.000 werknemers

Eerder overwogen alternatieven:

VirtualBox for quickly initial new environment for testing

5,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I use VirtualBox to initial my testing environment for my shell script function which needs to run in Centos, RedHat, Debian and Ubuntu, I download the virtual OS and add into VirtualBox which alow me quickly verify my script and when I work with Kubernetes, it already support installation environment as Virtual OS and we use VirtualBox to host it.

With VirtualBox, I easily create a test and dev environment for different OS, it supports all type of OS from Window, Ubuntu, Centos. VirtualBox Guest system is quickly created and start and I could share data between Host OS and Guest OS including copy/paste, disk sharing and drag-drop. VirtualBox consume very little resource and is able to host multiple Guest OS at same time, it is an excellent feature when we want to test our script in different OS

Using VirtualBox is quite complex to setup Guest OS, special to enable access to Host OS hardware such as Printer, switch between Host OS and Guest OS have delayed time

Nhat
Nhat
Instructor in VS
Schoolleiding, 5.001-10.000 werknemers

VirtualBox Review

4,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: My overall experience with VirtualBox is good because I have used it for a long time and have found many ways around some technical challenges.

This software allows me to easily setup a virtual machine, run a test on a software before I want to install it on a production machine. The best part is I can easily download it on the Oracle website and use it without worrying about licensing.

Configuring network is quite difficult on VirtualBox versus doing it on other similar software.

Maha
Assistant Professor in VS
Computersoftware, 501-1.000 werknemers

Oracle VirtualBox: Basic OS Virtualization that needs Improvement

3,0 11 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: Good experience but definitely would use VMWare for professional virtualization tasks.

I used VirtualBox to run Linux and Windows OSes on top of my OSX MAC for the sake of testing networking and database software and for developing client/server applications. The nice thing about VirtualBox is its free license that makes it a cost-effective choice for users who want to test with new OSes and software. The virtualization performance is decent with some lagging when testing newer versions of Linux with more advanced GUI desktops. Definitely VirtualBox has a lot of limitations that I will mention in the Cons sectionl

Many limitations make VirtualBox lag behind its main competitor VMWare Fusion (on a MAC) or VMWare Workstation (on Windows). The USB support is not enabled and requires a lot of configuration to make it work. The installation of the VM tools to provide a better resolution to the guest OS is also not that intuitive. This makes VMWare a much better alternative for serious developers/testers. The networking support also has some bugs especially when using the NAT network feature.

Diwakar Dixit
IT Manager in VK
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 10.000+ werknemers

Free to use Virtual solution

5,0 3 maanden geleden

I love virtual box because of the following reason 1. Free to use 2. Supports windows, Linux and Mac Guest addons helps seamless movement between physical and virtual devices and supports copying files between physical and virtual host. You can also create shared folder between physical and virtual devices. Supports USB controller that enables you to connect your webcam or any usb devices to virtual host. You can create snapshot for taking backup of your virtual hosts.

Its not as fast as VMWare workstation Consumes heavy CPU User interface needs lot of improvement as i am seeing the same interface for almost 10+ years.

Gene
IT Engineer in VS
Computernetwerken, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Eerder overwogen alternatieven:

The most convenient and feature rich visualization software package

5,0 10 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: Allows me to create separate secure virtual environments for various testing and user oriented applications without being tied to any specific hardware which makes migration and distribution very easy and convenient. I've been using the system for years and have been very satisfied with the performance, features and ease of use.

A cost effective solution for running multiple virtual machines and OSes. Great for testing and using various operating OSes while using shared hardware. Easy to set up and maintain. Very useful for creating remotely accessible virtual environments for multiple users. Easy local and remote backups and rollback functions. Very convenient and customizable management interface.

The only thing that I would like to be implemented in future versions would be integrated multiple cloud platform synchronization and management but there are plenty of 3rd party applications that accomplish the year so not really much of an issue but would be convenient to have everything in a single integrated package.

Benny
SysAdmin in Spanje
Computer- en netwerkbeveiliging, 2-10 werknemers

VirtualBox review

5,0 10 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: Free Opensource & Multi platform application for managing and deployment of Virtual machines. No matter if a new OS inside your main system or virtualize your own computer and use it as a Sandbox...

Easy to deploy new machines in no mater what your original desktop system comes from; you can virtualize a bunch of Linux, MacOS, Windows machines and ChromeOS & Android too!

In a Windows Server environment, the Virtual machines can't start when booting the main Server OS (only after you login with Administrator credentials) and you need the help of third party programs to do that. In Linux environment is easier to deploy thanks to Cron.

Nicolas
Nicolas
COO in Argentinië
Computersoftware, 11-50 werknemers

Great choice for VMs in Mac

5,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I use Virtualbox to setup environments. I'm Mac user and I use daily vm to configure and deploy mainly linux distributions.

When I started using Mac it was a problem for me, but when I started using VirtualBoxVM everything became easier. Easy Setup, Easy VM setup and administration, Easy everything. Runs fast. Even if I keep some VMs open.

I don't find any cons at all. Maybe the resource consumption, but that's really not on VirtualBoxVM, is cause of VMs assigned resources.

Lucas
R and D Coordinator in Brazilië
Schoolleiding, 501-1.000 werknemers

VirtualBox is one of the best virtualization solutions in the market

5,0 7 maanden geleden

It is compatible with almost every simple operating system and has a clear, easy-to-use user interface.

It takes a while to receive new updates.

Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 10.000+ werknemers

Best virtalization tool by oracle

5,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Mainly we use it to test on all major Operating systems as its portable to any System structure form UNIX to Windows

Due to its open source nature and ease to use this is a best tool for any one from business to normal users allows use of any OS inside Windows (mainly) which makes testing easy on other OS like Linux (all flavors)

Not much any cons about this tool but it could be built more ease to use though its good but can be improved and all connections should be automatically detected inside virtual machine such though they work doesn't feel like real OS can adopt "NEW DESKTOP"like tech and improve it.

Ali
Engineer in Turkije
Civiele techniek, 51-200 werknemers
Heeft de software gebruikt voor: Gratis proef

Open Virtual Box

4,0 vorige maand Nieuw

It is very good that it is free and functional for the SAnal machine.

As with any program, you need to get used to the interface.

PAOLO
Software Engineer in Italië
Fabricage van elektrische/elektronische producten, 51-200 werknemers

The King of virtualizers

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I recommend using the 64bit version of VirtualBOX if you have a 64bit operating system, otherwise you will not be able to use 64-bit guest operating systems.
The ability to share virtual machines has given us the opportunity to try development kits from our vendors, this is a significant advantage in terms of the time spent if we had installed everything from scratch. The support that the community gives to this product is really important, in case of problems you can contact the forum looking for solutions to the problems encountered.
Sometimes a simple restart solves a big problem, as usual.

The product is very simple to use starting from the installation phase which does foresee any difficulty. It is one of the open source products on the market with GPL2 license, this certainly encourages the user to try it at least once. VirtualBox supports many operating systems like Windows, Linux, Mac. The product allows us to test and certify our applications on different guest operating systems choosing from those supported by VirtualBox (a long list). This is the main reason why we are using it with excellent results.

I would like as an improvement of VirtualBOX the ability to transfer files between guess system and host as drag & drop instead of sharing folders or installing extension packs. Sometimes accessing external hardware from the virtualization process is difficult which precludes its use. I would like to point out that in some cases the error messages are not helpful in solving the block found, fortunately the community gives a lot of help in these cases

Isis Arnaud
CEO in VS
Computer- en netwerkbeveiliging, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Unleashing the Power of Virtualization with VirtualBox

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: As a software engineer, VirtualBox has been an essential tool in my arsenal. Its versatility, user-friendly interface, and robust features have enabled me to set up custom development environments and test software on different platforms. Overall, it's an indispensable tool for any developer or tech enthusiast.

For me, VirtualBox's versatility is its greatest strength, offering a range of customization options and compatibility with various operating systems. It's user-friendly interface and robust features enable users to create and run virtual machines efficiently. Seamless integration with third-party applications and the ability to share files between the host and guest operating systems make it a top choice for many users.

VirtualBox's resource-intensive nature and occasional stability issues can be frustrating for some users. The installation process may also be somewhat complex, and the lack of built-in support for some guest operating systems may require additional configuration. Some users may also find the documentation and community support somewhat limited compared to other virtualization tools.

Krishna
Student Ambassador in VS
Hoger onderwijs, 11-50 werknemers

No more spending money to buy computers just to use different operating systems

5,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Overall, Virtualbox has done wonders for me. Allowing me to try to learn new operating systems without having to spend a lot of money to buy a machine that has that operating system.

Virtualbox is open-source software that hosts just about any operating system as a file: Windows, macOS, Linux, Ubuntu, Android, etc. A ton of operating systems to choose from. Of course, to do that, you have to download the actual operating system file that can be several gigabytes. But once done, it's easy to import the OS into Virtualbox and start using out of the box. As a Student Ambassador, one of the duties I have is to showcase my computer science projects in an open house event. I have showcased my projects using the Ubuntu operating system. I wasn't comfortable inserting Ubuntu into my main hard disk as a dual boot. If I need to switch the OS on the fly, having a dual boot setup doesn't let me do that, but VirtualBox does. I am asked to showcase Linux commands I learned in my class to prospective students and their families.

I cannot think of a single dislike. VirtualBox is quite simply, easy to use. No learning curve, and it works out of the box. Of course, the only valid gripe I can give is that you need to have a powerful computer with a good amount of RAM and hard drive space.

Caleb
Junior Software Developer in VS
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 501-1.000 werknemers

VirtualBox - Free hypervisor for your computer

4,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: One of my personal favor feature of the application is the ability to create handy snapshots of different state of each VM you create. I use it mainly to test software and websites before launching them in production. with the snapshot feature, I can install all basic required software in the operating system of my choice and when I believe I have the perfect environment, I create a snapshot, in the event something goes wrong, I can easily revert to the snapshot create for this purpose. This allow me to have a clean slate to start from each time I want to run another test and have all I need.

VirtualBox - is a free open-source, cross-platform and a solid built hypervisor for your computer, which was development by Oracle Corporation. This software is perfect for software reviewers, software testers, software developers and software designers, just to name a few. VirtualBox makes it very easy and convenient to have multiple different operating systems running as guest on your single computer, which acts as the host, eliminating the need to dual boot your machine or the need to have more than one physical computer to run each operating system you might need to perform optimally.

The most recent version 6.0, has a cool and clean interface with minimal clutter. On the left-hand side of the application you can find global tools and all virtual machines and also virtual machine groups that you have created and available on you computer. You also have the handy import and create new VMs with related toolbar buttons for customizable options to suite your needs. Although the software is free, you can adjust just about any feature available, making it work in as you want and need.

Jonathon
Jonathon
Technology Specialist in VS

Simple and the best part... FREE

5,0 6 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Cheap high quality operating system virtualization that hasn't let me down yet.

This is the easiest Virtualization software I've been able to find and the best part is that it's FREE. I use it for virtualizing several machines for our organization. We are a smaller business but still have a need for some things to be on a dedicated "server" (door locks and our older Church Management software). These 2 things could not be installed on a machine that was running other services as they use some of the same ports that the other ones did and it was causing conflicts. I used Virtual Box so they could run virtually on the same machine that they wouldn't work on previously. The feature set (network settings, display settings, and the KB/Mouse passthrough once the Virtual Box tools is installed) in Virtual Box is right up there with the "big dogs" but they do it for free which for a smaller organization such as ours is huge.

There have been a few Virtual Box software hiccups that require me to shutdown and reboot the 2 virtual servers but it's been fairly solid and only happened 3 times in the 2+ years that machine has been running.

Ben
Network admin in VS
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 2-10 werknemers

VM Software

4,0 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: my overall experience with VirtualBox is excellent. Highly recommend it to anyone.

VirtualBox is the best opensource VM software for Windows PC's. It has all the functionalities one needs to host a VM for any OS platform. I used it host Mac OS and Linux OS VM's. It's stable, seamless, and it doesn't consume much system resource.

There isn't any critical features missing on VirtualBox. The ability to take snapshots or convert vm file types are also available.

Ismaël Huberson
Ismaël Huberson
founder in Ivoorkust
Kleding en mode, 2-10 werknemers

VirtualBox

5,0 2 jaar geleden

I was looking for a virtualization software and I found this. VirtualBox is a free, cross-platform virtualization program for x86 and AMD64/Intel 64 hardware. It's extremely useful for testing and developing software and operating systems, and works on Windows, Mac, Linux and Solaris. VirtualBox is very easy to use and supports a wide range of guest operating systems (see the full list of supported operating systems).

VirtualBox is a free virtualization tool, especially for people like me who are on a budget.

Matthew
Matthew
Application Support Engineer in VS
Computersoftware, 11-50 werknemers

Nice Virtualization Solution

3,0 12 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: Even though it's an Open Source tool, it's such a valuable one to have especially when cost is a major factor.

I like the fact that it is an open-source tool and helps excellently when it comes to virtualization and you can do a whole lot more with it. It's my go-to place when it comes to testing a solution rather than having it seat on my main system while my usage covers more than just that I would say it's a good tool.

One thing have not really liked so much about VirtualBox is that many times you need to do some extra configurations and downloading to get a fullscreen mode and it can get pretty complicated at times based on experience while this does not hold true for every situation but most times unlike other solutions that it's just a seamless click and you're up and going.

Nikodem
R&D Control Engineer in Polen
Automotive, 5.001-10.000 werknemers

Easy virtual machine for everyone

4,0 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I'm using VirtualBox since many years. It is very good software, provides easy and fast way to create virtual machines. Software provides all necessary features for this kind of software: automatic guest screen resolution adjusting (by using Guest Additions installation), bi-directional clipboard, shared folders. It is open source software and as many open-source program have some flaws. As an example I have issues to set up bi-direction drag and drop of files. I also had some issues with connecting USB devices directly to guest OS, which made me swith to VMWare for projects related to USB devices support. Despite those issues I would highly recommend VirtualBox to anyone looking for this kind of software. I'm using it privately to check new OSes before installing them natively or to work on some Windows project using my Linux machine. At work I was using it to virtualize Ubuntu OS, but eventually switched to dualboot setup with native Linux, due to performance drop while using VM (which is normal case for this kind of software).

VirtualBox is very easy to use and provides great set of features for its price (which is none). I find it to work fast, even on older machines and quite reliable.

Sometimes I encounter issues with screen resizing (might be caused by guest OS) or shared folders (need to disable and re-enable them to make them work). Resizing of previously created virtual drive is a little bit complicated and requires command line use, so it's better to assign more space while adding the machine.

WAQAS
Web Administraot in Pakistan
Schoolleiding, 51-200 werknemers

VB - The saviors of developers

5,0 4 jaar geleden

I am using this software since 2008. It is light weight Virtualization Software available on market. It is easy to setup and works easily without any glitches. Using this Software to check the operating of website on different Operating Systems. Using this to works on developing cross platform applications.

Well it works great but unlike VMWare VSphere. It only works on one machine and not providing any remote access to operate virtual machines on network.

Joshua
Equipment Engineer in VS

When coupled with a powerful PC, VirtualBox delivers great performance.

5,0 6 jaar geleden

What I like most about this software is the ability it gives to run various operating systems simultaneously, regardless of the operating system environment that the application is running in and definitely allows for much faster crossover between different operating systems as opposed to more manual options that are not as quick to change between such as dual booting a pc or using other VM software. This proves very useful when I am writing a report in one operating system while using another via VirtualBox to run experiments or creating and executing scripts in the VM.

While every VM I have used I do experience lag with, I will also mention this lag with VirtualBox. If VirtualBox is run on a standard or average office computer with limited memory (such as limited RAM), there almost always is a lag when performing long computations such as those that can be associated with programming in a VM. However, when these same computation or programs are run in a machine of higher performance, such as a gaming PC, there is significantly less lag. While this may sound like a computer performance issue, given my computer engineering experience, I feel that VirtualBox can definitely make software improvements to allow for smoother operation of the VM when under "heavy loads".

Kevin
CISO in VS
Informatiediensten, 201-500 werknemers

Free Virtualization with Tiny Quirks

4,0 4 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: The product works well when asking students or participants to spin up virtual machines in a quick and easy manner. If you do not already have VMWare technolgoies in your environment, the use of this software for desktop-based virtualization is pretty much a no-brainer. Even if you do have VMWare products, the ability to perform development, testing, or other work within a free product that is virtually equivalent to a paid product is a great thing to have.

This software does a pretty good job with virtualizing both Linux and Windows guest VMs inside of your desktop environment. It makes spinning up new systems and testing them out relatively easy, and the built-in network features make it straightforward when deciding what VLAN or network type you would like your VM to be running on.

Performance appears to be a bit slower than using VMWare Workstation Pro. Additionally, the documentation on Oracle's site is nowhere as comprehensive as that of VMWare or Microsoft. Finally, there is a longstanding issue with CredentialGuard and Windows 10 which requires that certain security precautions be disabled in order for VirtualBox to operate. While this has *finally* been solved in VMWare Workstation, this is still a rather significant issue in VirtualBox which is a detriment to its use.

Simon
Simon
Network engineer in Kenia
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 51-200 werknemers

virtual box review

5,0 5 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Being in a tech solutions company we have to utilize both Linux and windows operating systems. Virtual box enables us to use both without the need to purchase multiple very enormous quantities of computers for each type of task thereby saving time, officespace,monetary and time resources.

The software is easily downloadable from their website virtualbox.org. They also a very easy to understand guide on how to use it. What I liked most about the software is that it creates a perfectly virtualized environment separate from the actual computer it's installed on(host machine). It enables a user access to as many virtualized computers as wanted by user on the host machine, each operating independently and simultaneously if needed to. Also each virtual machine consumes minimal space on your hard drive.

Though the hard drive space is virtualized, it uses the actual ram memory and CPU processing speed. This means powering multiple virtualized environments at the same time may lead to slow processing of tasks both on the virtual machine and on the host machine.

Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 11-50 werknemers

Review for VirtualBox

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Great product with more customizations. Compared to it's main competitor, can say that VirtualBox is leading in the market

This product provide every means of creating a Operating System within another, yet creates a very powerful (this is customizable) virtual machine. I use headless virtual machine for deploy and test my applications.

Sometimes it is difficult to find information related to troubleshooting issues. Often i have came across network related issues but somehow managed to resolve them sooner or later.

Stacey
Systems Administrator in VS
Hoger onderwijs, 1.001-5.000 werknemers

Simple functional OS testing environment.

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I use VirtualBox for practice deployments of Linux based server software. Perfect for testing new configurations for web services.

Supports installing most operating systems in a virtual environment. Virtual network support allows for testing custom network deployments. Simulate a network deployment of client and server software. Supports snapshots allowing for rolling back changes to installed software or operating system. Test patches or software changes in a safe environment. Roll back changes in case of problems. Clone virtual machine installations allowing for multiple deployments of identical configurations. Great for a low-cost test lab. Supports USB pass-thru so you can use webcams, storage devices and security keys in your virtual environment.

Performance can be an issue if your host computer is under-powered. You will need a higher end computer to run multiple Gui based virtual machines simultaneously. Console based installations such as Linux will perform very well. Most current support is end-user based through online forums.