Gemiddelde scores

• In totaal
  • Klantenservice

Over MODX

Het platform voor digitale ervaringen van MODX biedt alles wat je nodig hebt om geweldige websites op jouw manier te bouwen, hosten en onderhouden.

Meer informatie over MODX

56 reviews worden weergegeven

Olga B.
Entrepreneur
E-learning, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 29-8-2020

"The best CMS for professional web designer"

Opmerkingen: It is just amazing! I am on cloud nine! Splendid CMS. Spectacular Service. Gorgeous! Dazzling! Fantastic!

Pluspunten: It is the best lightweight CMS. Google PageSpeed Insights skyrocketed on my website with this MODX.
It is almost perfection. Secure, trustworthy, ideal for any web developer who wants to innovate.
It is easy to customize, modify for your personal needs, and manage on any good, reliable hosting.
I cannot imagine any other CMS which could have replaced this one. I am quite a fussy, picky, choosy and troublesome web site administrator, content creator and something like web-developer, so I have spent 2 years to choose the best of the best CMS for my projects and when I have found this one, tried out it myself, created several webpages with using this CMS, I insisted my web designer use only MODX.
It is born to inspire! Innovative. Inspiring. Intelligent. Indispensable. Incentive.Impressive.

Minpunten: For comfortable using this CMS you need to choose a good server and hosting. If you choose an improper, unsuitable hosting, you will have serious problems in the near future.

• Beoordeeld op 29-8-2020
Michael S.
Design en ontwerp, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 10-11-2019

"MODX is Awesome"

Opmerkingen: Ignore the reviews that say things like "all the plugins are full of bugs", "it's impossible to connect to payment systems", "it can't be easily customized", and "not good for complex sites". These are simply untrue. I've tried many, many CMSs over the years, and once I tried MODX Revolution, my search was over. I've had very few problems with plugins over the years, and authors are generally responsive to bug fix requests. I do tend to write my own plugins, though, because it's so easy. The site manager screens are highly customizable. Create new tabs with custom fields arranged the way you want them. You can show or hide any of the standard fields. Set up a permissions systems and serve completely different admin screens to different users. I can create editing screens with tabs to manage complex data. In Wordpress, this would be a mess. ExtJS does have a learning curve, but most people don't seem to know that you don't have to use it to create your own plugin admin screens. I create plugins using plain old PHP and HTML. It works great, and I've added countless custom admin screens this way to manage extremely complicated data setups. I've created connections to all sorts of payment systems like PayPal, Stripe, Authorize.net, etc. It's a breeze to embed third-party shopping systems like Ecwid, FoxyCart and others. And, if you need a completely native store setup, the new plugin "Commerce" is great and has connections to many standard payment gateways built in.

Pluspunten: MODX is endlessly flexible, and easier to plug in custom code than any other platform I've used. There is a sizable library of plugins — not huge like Wordpress for example, but they are generally well written and secure. The MODX community is a great source of help, tricks, and tips. It's very easy to add your own PHP code and plugins. You can set up a site to be edited solely through the standard MODX admin area, or completely on the front end using the plugin FRED. MODX works for everything simple information-only sites to multilingual sites with thousands of pages (I know because I've created these). It has an excellent caching system built-in. MODX has its own API language for programming, but it's pretty intuitive. It didn't take me long to be able to use it effectively, and there is excellent documentation available. I can transfer a normal MODX site to a different server and domain name in about 15 minutes. The fine-grained permissions system lets me give access to specific parts of a site to different users. The core MODX programmers and very responsive to requests and are actively updating, debugging, and adding new features all the time. MODX is the most secure platform I've tried. There are various security features built into the core code. I've only experienced one exploited vulnerability in the past 8 years, and that was rapidly patched by the MODX team. No bloated code gets inserted anywhere in pages, only the code I specifically want.

Minpunten: If you're looking for a plug-and-play CMS, this isn't it. There ARE some themes available at ThemeForest and other places, so if one of those works for you, great. But in general, MODX is best for custom work. In the past, the site manager was kind of slow, but in 2019 that's no longer generally the case, so this is no longer a negative for me.

• Beoordeeld op 10-11-2019
Vladimir O.
Web Architect Manager
Marketing en reclame, 13-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 21-8-2018

"I had to use it"

Opmerkingen: If you're working strictly on a template, then you're good. Not a flexible UI at all.

Pluspunten: It does what it supposed to but it just seems outdated.

Minpunten: It was difficult to use. There just way better options out there.

• Beoordeeld op 21-8-2018
Robert C.
Junior Recruitment Consultant
Human Resources, 13-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 30-6-2020

"Flexible system"

Pluspunten: In practice, it turned out that this is a very flexible system with well-designed modules that allow you to build projects that are optimized for promotion. The system has documentation not only in English, but it is very important, because in CMS MODX there are tags whose syntax is intuitively incomprehensible and they are not found in other systems.

Minpunten: It will be very difficult for beginners to install, and even more so configure MODX, so if you would like to train your skills, you should start with other systems.

• Beoordeeld op 30-6-2020
Jamison M.
  • Beoordeeld op 3-12-2019

"Oh my goodness, MODX how I love thee, let me count the ways"

Opmerkingen: Over nine years experience using MODX and would not trade it for the world. We love MODX, the community and stability of the platform.

Pluspunten: I've been using MODX for more than 9 years. It is BY FAR the best CMS/CMF that I've EVER used. However, that comes with a nice, juicy grain of salt. I have the pleasure of working with a team that has dived head-first into MODX and has learned it inside and out. We KNOW MODX. We extend MODX daily and use it for all kinds of things, regular simple marketing sites, eCommerce, higher-functioning websites, web apps, and even as a headless css with custom API. It's secure, flexible and can handle ANYTHING we throw at it.

Minpunten: If you're not a developer (either backend or frontend) you're going to have a hard time. MODX is NOT for those who are used to the relative simplicity of something like WordPress. And to be honest, that's for the best. MODX allows you to design and build whatever you want, keep it optimized and secure... BUT, if you're looking to just customize a theme, modx would NOT be a good fit

• Beoordeeld op 3-12-2019
Murray W.
Lead Developer
  • Beoordeeld op 31-3-2019

"This is the best CMS software available today. Easily."

Opmerkingen: Switching to MODX has been a dream.
Our agency now saves so much development time and we end up with better quality products than we used to with other systems like Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal.
I cannot recommend MODX enough. Our clients love it too!

Pluspunten: Our agency Digital Penguin has switched to using MODX for nearly all our client projects now.
It is the fastest, most flexible and secure Content Management System (CMS) that we've ever had the pleasure of using.
There are no restrictions in how you implement a design and it's easily the best system for SEO as you have complete control over the HTML output.
There is an amazing, friendly community of people using MODX who are eager to help you learn the system, and plugins/extras are available to extend the CMS in any way you need.
Don't settle for Wordpress, Joomla or any other system you need to waste time wrestling with to customize the way you want. MODX is quick, easy to learn and designed to be customized.

Minpunten: There's nothing I dislike about the software so far!
With MODX 3 around the corner, things are only going to improve too.

• Beoordeeld op 31-3-2019
Darlene M.
Creative Director
Online media, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 29-5-2019

"Limitless Design & CMS Freedom - I always find myself choosing ModX when I need extreme flexibility"

Pluspunten: It's super that logic is separated from design. The base install does not include any extra fluff and unnecessary adds that one may or may not use. It's complete freedom and up to the end user to decide what functionality they would like or not. Whether one can code, are a php ninja or not, it's fairly easy to get a site up within a few hours. The more one knows how to code, php and more the more freedom they can have for more custom and extended functionality.

Minpunten: Personally I don't see many cons at all with this software. If I had to change one thing, I would extend the documentation for many of the extra features which can be added on. Most of the documentation is super however sometimes I have to figure some thing out on my own. However ModX is so flexible, i'm willing to do so to keep the freedom that comes with it. There is also an active community in which one can join.

• Beoordeeld op 29-5-2019
Ricky R.
Graphic Designer & Illustrator
Kleding en mode, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 31-3-2020

"Perfect CMS for designers and those with limited web coding experience"

Opmerkingen: Overall my experience with the modx content management system has being completely perfect. Because of its easy to use theming setup and syntax I can easy create a website design on my computer and by using simple html & css, easily implinent it into the modx ecosystem.

Pluspunten: What I like most about this software is its easy to use custom themeing syntax. While other content management systems require you to know actual programming languages such as PHP (hypertext preprocessor) or the Ajax programming langauge just to create and modify custom themes intended for their system, modx however does not. Modx only requires you to understand basic coding languages such as html,css,and sometimes javascript to create beautiful themes that rival the ones seen on its competitors sites.

Minpunten: What I like least about this software has nothing necessarily to do with the software itself. In my opinion this content management system is a perfect solution and alternative to more complex systems out there. My only gripe is its lack of adoption among designers and developers alike. By having a easy to use themeing system you would think this package would be more prevelant among its competitors but thats simply not the case.

• Beoordeeld op 31-3-2020
Gerben V.
CTO
  • Beoordeeld op 1-4-2019

"MODX is the most user- and SEO friendly CMS i know!"

Opmerkingen: We at Census develop all our websites based on MODX. This flexible CMS gives us the possibility to create simple and low-budget websites, but also gives us the framework for major websites and/or webshops. We love it, and our clients love it!

Pluspunten: + Open-source
+ Great Community
+ Secure
+ Flexable
+ SEO Friendly
+ UX Friendly
+ Manager available in almost all common languages.

Minpunten: - Some parts are DB based instead of file-based (only con for developers)
- ExtJS based manager (only con for developers)

Amanda M.
Middle School Teacher
Basis- en voortgezet onderwijs, 501-1.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 28-11-2019

"Works with any templates"

Pluspunten: I really like that CMS MODX is not limited to any number of templates. You can download any html-template from the Internet to the platform and it will work. This greatly simplified my work on creating a site.

Minpunten: The file manager is often inaccessible, to download files, you have to connect to the server directly. This is probably the only drawback that I found in 3 years of use.

• Beoordeeld op 28-11-2019
Zack W.
Freelance Web Developer
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 1-4-2019

"A great tool for anything from small utilities and APIs to larger multi-language communities"

Opmerkingen: I've used it for projects for at least 6 years or so. Anything from a single-page utility to standard websites with custom coded features. There are so many abilities and features that get way more advanced than I've ever needed, with the intense security permissions system to multi-context/multi-domain sites, and more. I have an appreciation for the product and want to see it continue to succeed, and the core people and community that keep it going are some of the best folks around!

Pluspunten: Their slogan "creative freedom" means you are not saddled with a ton of auto-magical output that you don't have control over. You can be in charge of every bit of code and markup that your site produces. MODX is better described as a Content Management Framework (CMF) rather than a CMS. It is better suited for developers to use in creating fully custom designs, rather than out-of-the-box templates.
If I need to build something fully custom and want to build from scratch, I choose MODX.

Minpunten: As of this writing, MODX 3 has not been released, but it will address almost anything I could put here.
The biggest problem for a lot of people is being stuck on an older version of ExtJS. Updating that library would break a lot of 3rd party plugins, and there is debate about whether to keep using it anyway.
Also it can be daunting to build custom backend admin pages, but there is work to make this easier, it's also partially due to the learning curve of ExtJS.
It doesn't yet have a built-in core feature for self-updating. There are 3rd party tools to help update though so this is a minor thing.
The addon library is not massive, and there are certainly some older and outdated, or even abandoned plugins. This is not a huge issue due to the fact that plugins are little more than some PHP functions or a class or two, they tend to be super robust and long-lived by their nature, not having to rely on constant changing theme frameworks and other foundational issues.

Nicolay K.
Web developer
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 1-4-2019

"Simple operation and openness"

Pluspunten: By developing the site you do not always know what features may be needed in the future. This system allows you to add blog or online store capabilities to landing page if necessary. Plugin code and page snippets are easily changed from the manager panel. You can add your own variables to any html page.

Minpunten: You may need some level of knowledge of programming languages. Snippets from add-ons have a large set of functions, so you need to study the documentation if you need to make difficult selection conditions.

Aleksandr L.
Head of tech support
Schoolleiding, 13-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 7-11-2018

"Excellent customization options"

Pluspunten: I used MODX for a long time. This CMS most of all I liked the opportunity to create my own design for any menu using HTML. Later our company transferred some client sites to another CMS, but I only had positive impressions about MODX.

Minpunten: I have not found any serious flaws. But for those who are thinking of starting to use CMS MODX, I will say: this engine has its own terminology to which you need to get used. This can be an obstacle if you have been using another CMS for a long time.

• Beoordeeld op 7-11-2018
Alex K.
SMM-manager
  • Beoordeeld op 20-2-2018

"Ideal for services"

Pluspunten: Our company is engaged in providing services. Clients are found through the Internet. Therefore, the issue of choosing a CMS was not. Uniquely stopped at MODX and not lost. It just suited us perfectly. To place information conveniently, the system was originally commercially grounded and has a friendly interface.

Minpunten: This CMS is concentrated only on the commercial segment. Make some information project will be difficult.

• Beoordeeld op 20-2-2018
Thomas A.
VICE-PRESIDENT CREATION
Computergames, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 1-1-2019

"Simple CMS for site management"

Pluspunten: When creating small sites we use CMS MODX. The platform provides a large selection of templates. There is a built-in visual editor to create a unique design. You can extend the basic functionality with the help of third-party plug-ins.

Minpunten: Among the shortcomings of CMS MODX, I want to note the lack of a function for importing and exporting files. Also, you can not connect popular payment systems for quick payment.

• Beoordeeld op 1-1-2019
Bjørn erik S.
Webdesigner
Internet, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 10-11-2017

"Super control of your code and templates. Allot of functionallity built in the system."

Opmerkingen: Total control.

Pluspunten: Total control of the templates. Easy to get functionality without hundreds of extras. But there is also allot of good extras to get extended functionality if you need it. The overall strength is the templateing system, where you have total controll over all of your code.

Minpunten: You have to know php to get advanced functions. And the API is a little hard to get into if you don't know PHP.

• Beoordeeld op 10-11-2017
Jamison M.
Computersoftware, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 6-2-2019

"THE hands down best CMS on the market"

Opmerkingen: Been using MODX since around 2012, LOVE IT

Pluspunten: MODX is customizable for any level of website developer. It's simple enough for a new programmer to be able to do some fun things, and advanced enough to be used for web applications and even native apps.

Minpunten: Nothing, its awesome. The flexibility of the platform, and support from the community makes it wonderful to use.

• Beoordeeld op 6-2-2019
Jürgen R.
Software Application Architect
Medische apparatuur, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 11-10-2019

"Professional management system"

Pluspunten: Many years ago, we transferred one of our work projects to MODX. It was not difficult to do this, the assistance of third-party programmers was not needed. For several years, we have been using this platform and we were quite pleased with it.

Minpunten: We recently moved the site to another platform again because CMS MODX is not well indexed by search engines.

• Beoordeeld op 11-10-2019
Polina M.
Senior Web-programmer
  • Beoordeeld op 14-2-2018

"Not all modules work correctly"

Pluspunten: MODx is very suitable for sites that are planned to be seriously promoted in the search engines. It is also good to do websites where there are many non-standard design elements, for which it is difficult to find ready-made module templates in other CMS.

Minpunten: Not everyone who has a site likes to dig through codes by default, even if they are easier than code written in some programming language. Not everyone will be happy every time to call to change the settings to developers (especially if they charge him for these changes). I think most people do not like and do not rejoice. And these moments, too, must be taken into account when making a website for someone.

• Beoordeeld op 14-2-2018
Grigoriy M.
Back-End Developer
Schoolleiding, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 19-11-2018

"Flexible CMS for sites"

Pluspunten: When creating websites I use open source CMS MODX. The system automatically creates backup copies of projects, so you can not worry about the safety of personal data. Large selection of site templates and plug-ins to extend the basic functionality. There is a visual editor that allows you to change the design of the finished site template.

Minpunten: CMS MODX does not have enough detailed site statistics in your account. There is no possibility to connect popular payment systems and organize a full-fledged online store based on CMS.

• Beoordeeld op 19-11-2018
Karina R.
Executive Assistant to CEO
  • Beoordeeld op 9-2-2018

"Excellent system for creating complex sites"

Pluspunten: I've been building websites for a long time, I've tried many control systems (Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal) and I always realized that it's not very convenient for me to work with them, they are basically created either to quickly make a simple site, or they are complex and uncomfortable. In general, I stopped on MODX and now basically work on it, I can say that it is very convenient for me.

Minpunten: Minus only one: a simple user without knowledge of programming (at least the basics) will not be able to create a site on this system.

• Beoordeeld op 9-2-2018
Eugene O.
Business Development Manager
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 13-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 19-4-2019

"Simply sites editing"

Pluspunten: With the help of the system it is easy to edit made sites. This is facilitated by an excellent admin panel. In addition, it is worth mentioning the SEO module - it is easier to carry out internal and external resource optimization through it.

Minpunten: There are very few ready-made templates - if you need a unique website, it is better to look for a team of designers. If a question arises regarding the functions of MODX, it is unlikely that the answer will be found in the official documentation - we didn’t work at its compilation.

• Beoordeeld op 19-4-2019
Roman K.
E-learning, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 4-11-2018

"CMS attracts many flexible settings"

Pluspunten: I have been using this CMS for 3 years now. Most of all I like that you can customize it for yourself with the help of a huge number of modules, most of which are free. Here you can also create your own template for any element using HTML and placeholders.

Minpunten: This is a great CMS, for all the time of use I have not found significant flaws. The only thing is that it would be possible to speed up the operation of the control panel so that the folders open faster.

• Beoordeeld op 4-11-2018
Milana R.
Team lead
  • Beoordeeld op 17-2-2018

"Thanks to the developers for the functional solution"

Pluspunten: The MODx admin panel is made in such a way that the block with the structure of the site pages can be seen almost from any of its sections - it is on the left. Thus, for example, you can easily see the id of the material when it is needed.

Minpunten: In many modules of the system there are errors and the most sad is that to find another, correct extension with similar functionality is unlikely to work, you will either have to put up with bugs, or learn programming and fix them.

• Beoordeeld op 17-2-2018
Yana G.
Deputy Head of PPC and PPA
Marketing en reclame, 501-1.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 31-7-2019

"Difficult but powerful CMS"

Pluspunten: In CMS MODX, I like the presence of an integrated SEO module. On many CMS it needs to be connected separately. I also liked the convenient administrative panel and the ability to connect any Html-template.

Minpunten: CMS has its own tag syntax. Because of this, I could not quickly master the platform and begin to fully work with the code. In addition, modules need to be developed independently, almost no ready-made solutions.

• Beoordeeld op 31-7-2019