Apache OpenOffice reviews

Over Apache OpenOffice

Open productiviteitspakket waarmee gebruikers brieven, multimediapresentaties, diagrammen, 3D-illustraties en meer kunnen produceren.

Meer informatie over Apache OpenOffice

Its a large community that uses and supports OpenOffice. I have found solutions for everything I've needed.

I haven't found that any features are missing. This software meets our office needs.

Beoordelingen van Apache OpenOffice

4,0
Waar voor je geld

Apache OpenOffice heeft een totaalscore van 4,4 van 5 sterren op basis van 379 gebruikersreviews op Capterra.

Heb je Apache OpenOffice eerder gebruikt?

Reviews filteren (379)

Shaunak P.
Shaunak P.
Cloud & Infrastructure Engineer in India
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 10.000+ werknemers

Free and opensource software that gives you quality management

5,0 3 weken geleden Nieuw

Opmerkingen: I strongly recommend this software just because it is freely available for use and extension. My company has been using this software since I joined them. I was new to any software like this. But the assimilation was excellent. From academics to my professional career, Apache OpenOffice is so easy to use that the actual understanding takes no time. No formal training was required by me.

I love the point that this whole suite of project management is available for free. This feature-loaded software can compete with any paid software. New startups do not have big requirements, for them, this is a good start. Instead of paying extra for other software, We can use all the apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. for free with it. I also marked that unlike other products it does not require much RAM space.

The design of this software is amazing and robust but the UI is very verbose and dull. Even with other skins, the UI is not much appealing. Users coming from Microsoft Office will face some problems with mouse gestures. Also, cloud-based editing is missing here.

Marketing Director/Front-End Web Developer in VS
Bouwmaterialen, 11-50 werknemers

Excellent MS Office Alternative - Minus Some Bells and Whistles

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: OpenOffice is hands down my favorite office application suite. Yes, it isn't the prettiest or the most feature-rich, but it offers everything probably 95% of today's workforce would need, minus real-time editing collaboration.

OpenOffice is excellent for a free and open-source office application suite. It offers all the essential core functionality of MS Office for the low low price of absolutely free! When I was a student and began my career I was using OpenOffice exclusively. If offers excellent capabilities right out of the box and is available even on Linux (my preferred operating system).

The lack of an online collaboration feature really is the only reason I had to switch away from this with my company. It's a much-needed feature, especially at this time, with everyone working remotely.

Journalist in Italië
Mediaproductie, 51-200 werknemers

Excel not very efficient, Word much better

2,0 2 weken geleden Nieuw

It is free software, so you have to start from this premise. If a person doesn't need to use Office every day for work, that's fine too. Using the word processor Word is also very good. A little less Excel, as it has significantly reduced functionality compared to Microsoft's product and it crashes on different operating systems, many functions are not clear and difficult to find

Surely the Excel spreadsheet program should be improved

Timothy B.
cfm in VS
Detailhandel, 2-10 werknemers

Free AND compatible

4,0 2 maanden geleden Nieuw

Opmerkingen: It is a great free alternative to Office and is good if you need to install on lots of machines.

It is able to be used to view and modify existing .doc files and .xml files. It is completely free and is easy to download use and distribute.

It is a pretty boring visual layout and the latest office product file formats do not always work.You must save the files locally.

Reece S.
Reece S.
Web Developer in VK
Computersoftware, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Best Office Software

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: Very reliable. Always works with any document from any office software. You will always be able to open a document from your colleague.

This is by far the best free office software. Being open source, it is built by passionate individuals who all want the same thing. No bloatware, no malware. Pure productivity goodness!

Sometimes feels a little unrefined compared to commercial options. The design is a little dated too.

Senior Software Engineer in India
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
Heeft de software gebruikt voor: Gratis proef

Open Source Application for your day to day work

4,0 2 maanden geleden Nieuw

Opmerkingen: Overall experience is very good while using this application. Needs some more features like high cost applications.

Open source is the one of the great benefit they are offering. Good option among other same category apps. Easy setup. Cost saving application

More templates to be added for each file type. It feels like something is missing as compared to other high cost applications. Rest all good for this application.

Steven D.
Steven D.
Pastor in VS
Religieuze instellingen, 2-10 werknemers

Open source office suite

4,0 vorige maand Nieuw

Opmerkingen: It's great for things that don't require collaboration or exact document formatting.

It comes with a good variety of office programs. There's an online community that helps in figuring out how to get the most out of the features.

Going between Open Office and Microsoft Word can lead to major formatting issues.

Javier G.
Javier G.
Front-End Developer in Mexico
Internet, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Good Alternative to MS Office

5,0 3 weken geleden Nieuw

Being Open Source, you can use it without worrying about licence management

MS Office compatibility it's hit or miss

Waldo M.
Waldo M.
Director of Media Services in VS
Telecommunicatie, 51-200 werknemers

OpenOffice - Professional Functionality

5,0 2 maanden geleden Nieuw

Opmerkingen: OpenOffice does exceptionally well what it sets out to do, I.e. give the user an office suite with full functionality. The user interface is friendly and intuitive, and can be used by personnel at all skill levels.

The fact that OpenOffice is open source is a great motivator for usage; add to that the exceptional cross-platform document handling, and you have an office environment that can function well and efficiently.

At the time of use I cannot really identify a "least-liked" option.

Amber H.
Amber H.
President/CEO/Consultant/Speaker in VS
Professionele training en coaching, Zelfstandig ondernemer

The Best Free Alternative To The Microsoft Office Suite

5,0 4 weken geleden Nieuw

This was before everything changed to Office 365, M 365, etc. I stumbled on this software by accident. There are a few features that benefitted me, including creating .pdf files. This software additionally has some stock photos that are great. You'll find some commands that are different in Apache, but overall it's a wonderful suite to use when there are times you're on a budget.

Depending on which software program related to the Microsoft Office Suite you use, be ready to a lot of re-formatting. It can be time consuming, but make sure to as much as possible save your files in .pdf format.

Nicholas K.
President in VS
Consumentengoederen, 2-10 werknemers

Apache Open Office Business and Individual User Friendly

5,0 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: We found OpenOffice years ago when we were first starting out and needed an alternative to spending thousands of dollars on Microsoft Excel. We use this daily for in house use and when working on projects for customers. Because so many people use Excel we simply work on OpenOffice and reload to Excel with very few changes necessary. This software saves us time and money and to continue interacting with other businesses seamlessly.

This software is very user friendly and meets the word processing and spreadsheet needs of our company. We use it daily for word processing, article construction, publication writing, and all of our spreadsheets. To say it is amazing does not do this software justice, I mainly use these two features but know it does far more, such as Drawing, Presentations, Calculator and Illustration. Co-workers use some of those other included features, but my work keeps me occupied otherwise. The word processing and spreadsheet program sections can be converter to Microsoft Office products with minimal effort. Especially nice is that Microsoft Word and Excel products can be opened by OpenOffice. This feature has saved us so much time. If we make changes to those documents they may be saved to either OpenOffice or Microsoft formats. The program is updated frequently at no cost or loss of information.

There has not been a single complaint from my staff. I personally have a problem printing envelopes, but I think that is because I rarely do so.

Sharon N.
Writer in VK
Tekstschrijvers, Zelfstandig ondernemer

If you can't afford MS Office...

4,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I've used it on numerous occasions to rescue and reformat corrupted files (particularly in its Word version), earning major kudos from students and clients in full panic mode that the CV or project they've put their heart into has been lost forever. Not so! Open Office rescued it. It loads quickly, can save in many different formats (more than MS Office) and is more adaptable. The portable copy has proved a lifesaver when out and about. I can plug it into any Windows computer and get to work immediately.

Open Office reminds me of the old MS Office, with a similar layout and ease of use. It's not as big a resource hog as MS Office and for basic use it's excellent. Being free certainly doesn't hurt! While I do have MS Office as well, I write first drafts in Open Office and then copy it across. Seeing the subtly different layout allows me to see errors that I missed before and since Open Office can be got as a portable app, I can take it anywhere on a memory stick, plug it in and get going. It saves to MS Office formats as well as its own proprietary ones, and you can set it to default to MS Office format if you want. It can often open files MS Office struggles with, allowing you to rescue corrupted documents and put them back into a format MS Office can read, so even if you have the expensive software having this as a backup is worth it for when things go wrong.

Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of MS Office and sometimes you want to do something that in MS Office would be a breeze (like inserting page numbers) and in Open Office is a little more tricky, but there are tons of searchable help files and advice pages which means you can usually find a way.

Rex B.
Rex B.
Author in Canada
Tekstschrijvers, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Novels in Open Office

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: I write good business letters; often for other people; sometimes a printed letter gets more attention than an email. The envelopes, formatted and printed in Open Office, are proper business envelopes. At a time when we are working more from home more, Open Office is a sensible alternative to expensive word processing, and spreadsheet programs. I do my company books with an Open Office spreadsheet that I designed myself. It calculates income, expenses, sales and income taxes etc. as I go. When it's time to do taxes, the numbers are all there at the bottom.

I use Open Office for at least three hours every day—usually six. It is my go to word processor. I've written two novels and a collection of short stories with it. I was easily able to format and style the layout for the paperback and eBook files, so they conformed perfectly to Amazon's publishing requirements. Most folks don't know this is possible so they farm it out and pay dearly. I didn't rate the support category above because I have never had to use it. Open Office works fine all the time. It's totally reliable and at a cost 100% less than MS Word.

Figuring out how to do headers and footers on alternating pages was a bit of a brain buster, but I got it. I'm sure it could be more intuitive.

Halimatun Z.
Halimatun Z.
IT Manager in Maleisië
Administratie, 1.001-5.000 werknemers

Free office suite

5,0 8 maanden geleden

It is free and open-source, and it can accomplish some of the duties that other sophisticated software in its field can. Still, if you want stability and better performance, I would recommend using something else. I primarily use these for document creation and editor. However, it has more features in it. The document processing and spreadsheet modules can be easily converted to Microsoft Office products. OpenOffice can read Microsoft Word and Excel documents, which is very convenient. We've saved a lot of time because of this function.

You'll mostly run into issues on particular platforms, which might lead you to loose or disrupt your work. Other concerns with working in an open workplace might also influence your coworkers. To some, it may be adaptive, while to others, it may be a complete nightmare. If you are accustomed to Microsoft Office, don't expect to be able to transition simply; in fact, switching can be a significant challenge.

Munema I.
Customer Trainer in Zwitserland
Computersoftware, 501-1.000 werknemers

If you don't need all the bells and whistles, go for this

4,0 11 maanden geleden

I remember coming across OpenOffice several years ago and thought I would give it a try as it seemed a valuable "agnostic" solution that worked on Mac, PC, and Linux machines alike and it was free to download, install and use. Generally, what I liked about OpenOffice was the fact that it provided most of the main features of the various Word, Excel, etc. True, the user interface may not have been as good as that of such tools but, overall, OpenOffice met its goals of letting users leverage the core features needed for writing, creating tables, etc. I would say that if you don't need advanced features but mainly the basics, OpenOffice could be the one "digital office tool" for you.

There are a few things I am not a fan of when it comes to OpenOffice. The firsts one is the fact that, unlike some of the other tools, it doesn't have a mobile app. This means that you will always be dependent on working from your computer, always. Next is the fact that it does come with a "ceiling" meaning that you might find yourself in need of something else at some point in the future because you may feel as if you have outgrown OpenOffice as a platform. Also, keep in mind that it has been discontinued so you may find versions still available for you to use but may be outdated.

Ryan L.
Director of Content Development in VS
Marketing en reclame, 2-10 werknemers

OpenOffice is a great free alternative to MS Office

5,0 7 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: Overall, it's great! In a nutshell, this is a free version of Microsoft Office, for most practical applications.

The best thing is the price, as it's free to download and use the full suite of functionality! However, that wouldn't matter if the software was poor. The good news is that it's not, and OpenOffice gives me virtually every feature from MS Office that I regularly use. I don't doubt that MS Office has a leg-up in certain areas if you need deeper, more obscure features, but for day-to-day document creation, Open Office is great.

Two things: 1) I can't seem to find a way to save a document as a .docx. That might be proprietary to MS Word. 2) I'd like to be able to see more than just the last 10 documents I opened. It'd be nice to be able to choose an item at the bottom of the list such as "Show more" that would open up expanded document history.

Amy S.
Artist/designer in VS
Kunst en nijverheid, 2-10 werknemers

Apache OpenOffice, you're my main squeeze.

5,0 10 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: Absolutely phenomenal software. I don't know where I'd be without it. It is not at all dramatic to admit this software changed my life.

I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've been using (did I say using? I mean in love with) this software for over 12 years. You can create ANYTHING with it. I've landed jobs from creating resumes with this app, wowed fellow creators with artistic documents, made myself calendars and fitness goals lists with all the fancy fonts and borders, and even one classy and sassy resignation letter to a former employer of questionable morals. This software has been the backbone of my progress for so long. Tons of features, easy to navigate, and doesn't slow down your system. Standing Ovation.

The word con has no place with OpenOffice. This software is incredible. I do wish it would not let microsoft word open up my unfinished-and-saved-for-later documents, which I know is just an issue with my PC and not Open Office. Still, it would be great to see it push Microsoft out of the way just once and make it known which one I'm loyal to.

Amit G.
Amit G.
Founder in India
Schoolleiding, 2-10 werknemers

Best Productivity Application and Alternate to Micrososoft

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Apache OpenOffice is really helping me in my business. It is saving us from everyday licensing issues of microsoft. This software is really complete peace of mind.

I liked OpenOffice software because it fulfills all aspects of productivity applications. This is free of cost software provided by Apache foundation. Apache have provided software setup so that this software is easily getting installed on PC/Laptop. The software is compatible with microsoft office files and you can easily open/edit files microsoft files. OpenOffice is complete suite of office application which includes spreadsheet, word-processor, slides presentation applications and other important tools also. I liked its interoperability feature so that its files are easily supported across various platforms. I appreciate Apache Foundation for making such hassle free software which is giving benefits to masses.

I am using Microsoft Office applications since a long so i am habitual to save files in Microsoft format like .docx,doc, .xlsx,xls, .pptx.ptt etc but while i save files in open-office, it b defaullt takes .ods/.ots/.odp format which sometime creates confusion and i have to save them in microsoft format so that while sharing to others they can easily understand that.

Ivis coromoto H.
Analista de Planificaciòn, Presupuesto y Organizaciòn in Venezuela

I use it in my office every work day to write information or do calculations among other things

4,0 4 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: There are many benefits among which we can mention that it is a free software that can be downloaded directly from the Internet, it can be installed in other operating systems that are not Linux, it takes few resources from the team in terms of memory and space in disk unlike other programs that exist in the market, it is easily installed and has the same structure as Microsoft Office.

I installed it on my home computer when I started using it to learn it and I was amazed that it was too fast to run, since this computer has very low performance and when loading other similar applications it takes a long time. What I like the most is that you do not need a large capacity to run in addition to being able to download it for free because it is not licensed.

What I do not like is that it does not have all the advantages of functionality as far as tools are concerned and that it is not 100 percent compatible with Microsoft Office, which is a limitation when exchanging information between both programs. For example, with open office calc and excel lack many tools so that office calc is a hundred percent compatible with the case of macros that are made in excel. If a document made with macros in Microsoft excel is tried to load in open office would not be compatible.

Composer in Duitsland
Muziek, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Actually it has all of the features you should need

4,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: Since my student-subscription ran out i was not willing to renew my subscription with the full paid version of Microsofts Office. So i switched to Apache and - honestly - was not disappointed.
Since my last time using it, it gained a lot of functions and especially stepped up in overall appearance of the userinterface and in accessability.
I would definitely recommend checking it out, before spending loads of money on commercial competitors!

It's astonishing, that Apache OpenOffice is still a freeware, if you keep in mind the incredible amount of functions it features. The "similarity" to Microsoft Office makes it very easy to switch between those products. The same goes for interchangeability of data. With Apache OpenOffice you can edit data from Microsoft Office without any loss in format and layout.

While it features a lot of features, there might be some very advanced functions, that are not availible in OpenOffice. That might not be a problem for the bigger part of users, because one might not even know about those. But for commercial usage it might fall short at parts.

Ross H.
Ross H.
Assistant lecturer, Graduate Assistant, PhD student in Nieuw-Zeeland
Hoger onderwijs, 1.001-5.000 werknemers

A decent alternative to Microsoft if required

4,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I like it. I tend to use Office myself but that's mostly because it is what is provided. I use OpenOffice occasionally just to keep me up to date with it so I can help students that are using it but this has meant that, with familiarity, I've reached the point where if I were paying the bill myself, I would absolutely look into deploying OpenOffice in my workplace.

The thing I like most about this product is probably the price. It's free and works well. Outside of this though I really like the development that has gone into OpenOffice. When it started out it was hideous, limited and buggy. More importantly compatibility with Office programs (e.g. Word and Excel) was incredibly iffy and lagged behind each update. There was very little reason to use OpenOffice aside from the price. Nowadays it still doesn't look great (it's better though!) but it's such an improved experience in terms of the rest of those issues. For example Writer does everything most will want from Word and I actually prefer the way that it handles pasting images and formatting tables. There are now legitimate reasons to choose OpenOffice in terms of the programs on offer, and if opensource is appealing then I'd recommend it as the default work-suite.

OpenOffice suffers the same issues as most opensource software. It is written by people that have a very good understanding of coding and perhaps are not as good at UI or understanding how to ease relatively new users into an experience that differs to Word. OpenOffice generally works on the function over form approach and so the best that can be said of most of the offerings within is that they are "not hideous anymore" The UI is both stark in aesthetic and a little merciless for newcomers though; options are packed in and occasionally something requires a little more "under the hood" work to get going (e.g. getting the default list of recent documents to be longer can be a bit of a chore)

Writer in VS
Entertainment, Zelfstandig ondernemer

I Love OpenOffice!

5,0 3 jaar geleden

I've used OpenOffice for YEARS now. There are so many things I love about it, it's hard to indicate just a few in one review. As a writer, I need a word processing software that, put simply, simple! OpenOffice has the capacity to do a LOT of complex things for other industries--like graphics, spreadsheets, presentations--and it can do everything Microsoft Office does, but I think the standout thing about OpenOffice is it never glitches on me (except maybe visually when I'm scrolling through an 500-page document) and it doesn't take up a lot of space on my computer so it always opens right away--as opposed to Microsoft Word which always takes forever to open and crashes on my Macbook Pro frequently. Also, OpenOffice is free.

I don't have any complaints. Sometimes when I'm working with a 500/800 page document, the text sometimes glitches visually, but all I do is scroll up and down a bit and that fixes it.

Nibaruta M.
technician in Pakistan
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 2-10 werknemers

Alternative to Microsoft office

5,0 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: I have had OpenOffice freeze in mid of work and the only way to solve the issue was to restart the pc. you can as well go to save and have the entire application shutdown automatically.

Free and open-source, it can do some of the tasks that are done by other professional software in its category but I would recommend choosing another if you want reliability and better performance.

Mostly on certain systems, you will encounter bugs that can cause you to lose or interrupt your work. The open office has other issues that can as well affect those you work with. It could be adaptable to some and absolute a nightmare to others. If you are familiar with Microsoft office don't think you will be able to use open office easily matter of fact it can be a very big problem to switch.

Paul Z.
Senior ICT Specialist in Roemenië
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Fast, easy and free* office suite

5,0 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Since the day office became more expensive, I started to search for an alternative which I found via a website which offered alternatives for paid software packages, I even started to implement this software is other non profit companies and they had to learn a bit but never regret it!

It does exactly the same as any other paid version of office, as a really small company we need to look at every euro, since we switched, we never looked back, because we don't need more than this office suite is giving!

Its not perfect with writing to xlsx or docx, but who needs this? You normally export to PDF and you don't need these more compressed file types anyway.

Ed P.
owner in VS
E-learning, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Overwogen alternatieven:

Does everything and for free

5,0 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I depend on it daily for writing and spreadsheets and am not disappointed! Cannot beat the free price.

It does everything -- i mainly use word processing and spreadsheets -- without getting wrapped up in Microsoft's intrusive and expensive software. I can open and save as Word, can open CVS, etc. Easy and effective

What's not to like, except they leave phone apps to private developers and i do wish i could search and replace tabs and other formatting symbols, but nobody's asked this since Microsoft Works in the 1990s!