Over Apache OpenOffice

Open productiviteitspakket waarmee gebruikers brieven, multimediapresentaties, diagrammen, 3D-illustraties en meer kunnen produceren.

Meer informatie over Apache OpenOffice

Its a large community that uses and supports OpenOffice. I have found solutions for everything I've needed.

I haven't found that any features are missing. This software meets our office needs.

Beoordelingen van Apache OpenOffice

4,0
Waar voor je geld

Apache OpenOffice heeft een totaalscore van 4.4 van 5 sterren op basis van 365 gebruikersreviews op Capterra.

Reviews filteren (365)

Productscore

Productscore

Gebruik

Sorteren op

Heb je Apache OpenOffice eerder gebruikt?

Halimatun Z.
Halimatun Z.
IT Manager in Maleisië
Administratie, 1.001-5.000 werknemers

Free office suite

5 3 maanden geleden

It is free and open-source, and it can accomplish some of the duties that other sophisticated software in its field can. Still, if you want stability and better performance, I would recommend using something else. I primarily use these for document creation and editor. However, it has more features in it. The document processing and spreadsheet modules can be easily converted to Microsoft Office products. OpenOffice can read Microsoft Word and Excel documents, which is very convenient. We've saved a lot of time because of this function.

You'll mostly run into issues on particular platforms, which might lead you to loose or disrupt your work. Other concerns with working in an open workplace might also influence your coworkers. To some, it may be adaptive, while to others, it may be a complete nightmare. If you are accustomed to Microsoft Office, don't expect to be able to transition simply; in fact, switching can be a significant challenge.

Nibaruta M.
technician in Pakistan
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 2-10 werknemers

Alternative to Microsoft office

5 10 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: I have had OpenOffice freeze in mid of work and the only way to solve the issue was to restart the pc. you can as well go to save and have the entire application shutdown automatically.

Free and open-source, it can do some of the tasks that are done by other professional software in its category but I would recommend choosing another if you want reliability and better performance.

Mostly on certain systems, you will encounter bugs that can cause you to lose or interrupt your work. The open office has other issues that can as well affect those you work with. It could be adaptable to some and absolute a nightmare to others. If you are familiar with Microsoft office don't think you will be able to use open office easily matter of fact it can be a very big problem to switch.

Claudio C.
Consulente informatico in Italië
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 2-10 werknemers

Suite per ufficio sostitutiva ad Office

4 2 maanden geleden Nieuw

Economico perchè già disponibile nella versione gratuita ricca di funzionalità pari alla suite concorrenti.

Se si devono aprire file di office ho riscontrato qualche problema di compatibilità e alcune funzionalità non subito subito intuitive.

Justin J.
Lead Client Care Representative in VS
Diergeneeskunde, 11-50 werknemers

Apache OpenOffice

3 2 maanden geleden Nieuw

Very easy to use, and extremely affordable.

Lacks many of the features that can be found with other more expensive options. Files do not always convert easily.

Luis M.
Writer in VS
Marketing en reclame, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Does what MS Office does, free

4 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: It does the job and it's free, what more can you say?

Apache OpenOffice is a replacement for Microsoft Office that is free. It has a suite of apps replacing Word, Excel, and more. It has the majority of features as well.

The equivalent to Word, Writer, can't save in .docx format, only .doc. Not a terrible problem but annoying.

Nakita G.
Customer Service Representative in VS
Detailhandel, 10.000+ werknemers

Could be better

4 vorig jaar

The thing I like most about this software is its free to use. It doesn't require you to purchase the product after a certain amount of days.

The application could be improved or updated. Last time I used the product it kept closing or not responding and when I would go to pull it back up and load my document, it would close again.

CEO in VS
Detailhandel, Zelfstandig ondernemer

A very Good Backup Utility to have

4 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I had Microsoft Office for many years, Due to business slowing down, we had to rely on another software, Apache OpenOffice was just as good a software as I had used.

I like this software, any documents made from another compatible software, will be able to export it to this cost efficient just as well.

lack of templates for useful documents to use for implementing a plan. I didn't see much of word art offers

Ryan L.
Director of Content Development in VS
Marketing en reclame, 2-10 werknemers

OpenOffice is a great free alternative to MS Office

5 2 maanden geleden Nieuw

Opmerkingen: Overall, it's great! In a nutshell, this is a free version of Microsoft Office, for most practical applications.

The best thing is the price, as it's free to download and use the full suite of functionality! However, that wouldn't matter if the software was poor. The good news is that it's not, and OpenOffice gives me virtually every feature from MS Office that I regularly use. I don't doubt that MS Office has a leg-up in certain areas if you need deeper, more obscure features, but for day-to-day document creation, Open Office is great.

Two things: 1) I can't seem to find a way to save a document as a .docx. That might be proprietary to MS Word. 2) I'd like to be able to see more than just the last 10 documents I opened. It'd be nice to be able to choose an item at the bottom of the list such as "Show more" that would open up expanded document history.

Michele M.
Project Manager in Italië
Computersoftware, 2-10 werknemers

Ottimo prodotto open source alternativo a Microsoft Office

5 vorige maand Nieuw

Opmerkingen: Ottima suite da utilizzare in caso servano delle funzioni Word o Excel sostitutive a quelle originali.

Ottimo prodotto open source per sostituire gratuitamente tutta la suite Microsoft Office. Affidabile e facilmente utilizzabile

Alcune funzionalità non sono perfettamente compatibili con la suite Microsoft e ogni tanto si possono generare dei problemi con alcuni utenti.

Yaniv Y.
Software Engineer in Zweden
Defensie en ruimtevaart, 10.000+ werknemers

A good backup to have

5 3 dagen geleden Nieuw

The lack of any payment involved makes Apache OpenOffice a great backup option to Microsoft Office .The programs are similar enough to MS ,so you'll figure out what you are doing fairly quickly . The installation process is quick and you get a good variety of options and features .

The templates for the presentation tool have an archaic feel to them and can hardly be use .The spreadsheet tool can also benefit from the addition of extra formulae options .Those two factors make me prefer using Microsoft Office when I can .

Nicholas K.
President in VS
Consumentengoederen, 2-10 werknemers

Apache Open Office Business and Individual User Friendly

5 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: We found OpenOffice years ago when we were first starting out and needed an alternative to spending thousands of dollars on Microsoft Excel. We use this daily for in house use and when working on projects for customers. Because so many people use Excel we simply work on OpenOffice and reload to Excel with very few changes necessary. This software saves us time and money and to continue interacting with other businesses seamlessly.

This software is very user friendly and meets the word processing and spreadsheet needs of our company. We use it daily for word processing, article construction, publication writing, and all of our spreadsheets. To say it is amazing does not do this software justice, I mainly use these two features but know it does far more, such as Drawing, Presentations, Calculator and Illustration. Co-workers use some of those other included features, but my work keeps me occupied otherwise. The word processing and spreadsheet program sections can be converter to Microsoft Office products with minimal effort. Especially nice is that Microsoft Word and Excel products can be opened by OpenOffice. This feature has saved us so much time. If we make changes to those documents they may be saved to either OpenOffice or Microsoft formats. The program is updated frequently at no cost or loss of information.

There has not been a single complaint from my staff. I personally have a problem printing envelopes, but I think that is because I rarely do so.

Sharon N.
Writer in VK
Tekstschrijvers, Zelfstandig ondernemer

If you can't afford MS Office...

4 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I've used it on numerous occasions to rescue and reformat corrupted files (particularly in its Word version), earning major kudos from students and clients in full panic mode that the CV or project they've put their heart into has been lost forever. Not so! Open Office rescued it. It loads quickly, can save in many different formats (more than MS Office) and is more adaptable. The portable copy has proved a lifesaver when out and about. I can plug it into any Windows computer and get to work immediately.

Open Office reminds me of the old MS Office, with a similar layout and ease of use. It's not as big a resource hog as MS Office and for basic use it's excellent. Being free certainly doesn't hurt! While I do have MS Office as well, I write first drafts in Open Office and then copy it across. Seeing the subtly different layout allows me to see errors that I missed before and since Open Office can be got as a portable app, I can take it anywhere on a memory stick, plug it in and get going. It saves to MS Office formats as well as its own proprietary ones, and you can set it to default to MS Office format if you want. It can often open files MS Office struggles with, allowing you to rescue corrupted documents and put them back into a format MS Office can read, so even if you have the expensive software having this as a backup is worth it for when things go wrong.

Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of MS Office and sometimes you want to do something that in MS Office would be a breeze (like inserting page numbers) and in Open Office is a little more tricky, but there are tons of searchable help files and advice pages which means you can usually find a way.

Rex B.
Rex B.
Author in Canada
Tekstschrijvers, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Novels in Open Office

5 8 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: I write good business letters; often for other people; sometimes a printed letter gets more attention than an email. The envelopes, formatted and printed in Open Office, are proper business envelopes. At a time when we are working more from home more, Open Office is a sensible alternative to expensive word processing, and spreadsheet programs. I do my company books with an Open Office spreadsheet that I designed myself. It calculates income, expenses, sales and income taxes etc. as I go. When it's time to do taxes, the numbers are all there at the bottom.

I use Open Office for at least three hours every day—usually six. It is my go to word processor. I've written two novels and a collection of short stories with it. I was easily able to format and style the layout for the paperback and eBook files, so they conformed perfectly to Amazon's publishing requirements. Most folks don't know this is possible so they farm it out and pay dearly. I didn't rate the support category above because I have never had to use it. Open Office works fine all the time. It's totally reliable and at a cost 100% less than MS Word.

Figuring out how to do headers and footers on alternating pages was a bit of a brain buster, but I got it. I'm sure it could be more intuitive.

Marketing Director/Front-End Web Developer in VS
Bouwmaterialen, 11-50 werknemers

Excellent MS Office Alternative - Minus Some Bells and Whistles

5 11 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: OpenOffice is hands down my favorite office application suite. Yes, it isn't the prettiest or the most feature-rich, but it offers everything probably 95% of today's workforce would need, minus real-time editing collaboration.

OpenOffice is excellent for a free and open-source office application suite. It offers all the essential core functionality of MS Office for the low low price of absolutely free! When I was a student and began my career I was using OpenOffice exclusively. If offers excellent capabilities right out of the box and is available even on Linux (my preferred operating system).

The lack of an online collaboration feature really is the only reason I had to switch away from this with my company. It's a much-needed feature, especially at this time, with everyone working remotely.

Munema I.
Customer Trainer in Zwitserland
Computersoftware, 501-1.000 werknemers

If you don't need all the bells and whistles, go for this

4 6 maanden geleden

I remember coming across OpenOffice several years ago and thought I would give it a try as it seemed a valuable "agnostic" solution that worked on Mac, PC, and Linux machines alike and it was free to download, install and use. Generally, what I liked about OpenOffice was the fact that it provided most of the main features of the various Word, Excel, etc. True, the user interface may not have been as good as that of such tools but, overall, OpenOffice met its goals of letting users leverage the core features needed for writing, creating tables, etc. I would say that if you don't need advanced features but mainly the basics, OpenOffice could be the one "digital office tool" for you.

There are a few things I am not a fan of when it comes to OpenOffice. The firsts one is the fact that, unlike some of the other tools, it doesn't have a mobile app. This means that you will always be dependent on working from your computer, always. Next is the fact that it does come with a "ceiling" meaning that you might find yourself in need of something else at some point in the future because you may feel as if you have outgrown OpenOffice as a platform. Also, keep in mind that it has been discontinued so you may find versions still available for you to use but may be outdated.

Amy S.
Artist/designer in VS
Kunst en nijverheid, 2-10 werknemers

Apache OpenOffice, you're my main squeeze.

5 4 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: Absolutely phenomenal software. I don't know where I'd be without it. It is not at all dramatic to admit this software changed my life.

I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've been using (did I say using? I mean in love with) this software for over 12 years. You can create ANYTHING with it. I've landed jobs from creating resumes with this app, wowed fellow creators with artistic documents, made myself calendars and fitness goals lists with all the fancy fonts and borders, and even one classy and sassy resignation letter to a former employer of questionable morals. This software has been the backbone of my progress for so long. Tons of features, easy to navigate, and doesn't slow down your system. Standing Ovation.

The word con has no place with OpenOffice. This software is incredible. I do wish it would not let microsoft word open up my unfinished-and-saved-for-later documents, which I know is just an issue with my PC and not Open Office. Still, it would be great to see it push Microsoft out of the way just once and make it known which one I'm loyal to.

Amit G.
Amit G.
Founder in India
Schoolleiding, 2-10 werknemers

Best Productivity Application and Alternate to Micrososoft

5 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Apache OpenOffice is really helping me in my business. It is saving us from everyday licensing issues of microsoft. This software is really complete peace of mind.

I liked OpenOffice software because it fulfills all aspects of productivity applications. This is free of cost software provided by Apache foundation. Apache have provided software setup so that this software is easily getting installed on PC/Laptop. The software is compatible with microsoft office files and you can easily open/edit files microsoft files. OpenOffice is complete suite of office application which includes spreadsheet, word-processor, slides presentation applications and other important tools also. I liked its interoperability feature so that its files are easily supported across various platforms. I appreciate Apache Foundation for making such hassle free software which is giving benefits to masses.

I am using Microsoft Office applications since a long so i am habitual to save files in Microsoft format like .docx,doc, .xlsx,xls, .pptx.ptt etc but while i save files in open-office, it b defaullt takes .ods/.ots/.odp format which sometime creates confusion and i have to save them in microsoft format so that while sharing to others they can easily understand that.

Ivis coromoto H.
Analista de Planificaciòn, Presupuesto y Organizaciòn in Venezuela

I use it in my office every work day to write information or do calculations among other things

4 4 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: There are many benefits among which we can mention that it is a free software that can be downloaded directly from the Internet, it can be installed in other operating systems that are not Linux, it takes few resources from the team in terms of memory and space in disk unlike other programs that exist in the market, it is easily installed and has the same structure as Microsoft Office.

I installed it on my home computer when I started using it to learn it and I was amazed that it was too fast to run, since this computer has very low performance and when loading other similar applications it takes a long time. What I like the most is that you do not need a large capacity to run in addition to being able to download it for free because it is not licensed.

What I do not like is that it does not have all the advantages of functionality as far as tools are concerned and that it is not 100 percent compatible with Microsoft Office, which is a limitation when exchanging information between both programs. For example, with open office calc and excel lack many tools so that office calc is a hundred percent compatible with the case of macros that are made in excel. If a document made with macros in Microsoft excel is tried to load in open office would not be compatible.

Composer in Duitsland
Muziek, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Actually it has all of the features you should need

4 11 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: Since my student-subscription ran out i was not willing to renew my subscription with the full paid version of Microsofts Office. So i switched to Apache and - honestly - was not disappointed.
Since my last time using it, it gained a lot of functions and especially stepped up in overall appearance of the userinterface and in accessability.
I would definitely recommend checking it out, before spending loads of money on commercial competitors!

It's astonishing, that Apache OpenOffice is still a freeware, if you keep in mind the incredible amount of functions it features. The "similarity" to Microsoft Office makes it very easy to switch between those products. The same goes for interchangeability of data. With Apache OpenOffice you can edit data from Microsoft Office without any loss in format and layout.

While it features a lot of features, there might be some very advanced functions, that are not availible in OpenOffice. That might not be a problem for the bigger part of users, because one might not even know about those. But for commercial usage it might fall short at parts.

Ross H.
Ross H.
Assistant lecturer, Graduate Assistant, PhD student in Nieuw-Zeeland
Hoger onderwijs, 1.001-5.000 werknemers

A decent alternative to Microsoft if required

4 3 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I like it. I tend to use Office myself but that's mostly because it is what is provided. I use OpenOffice occasionally just to keep me up to date with it so I can help students that are using it but this has meant that, with familiarity, I've reached the point where if I were paying the bill myself, I would absolutely look into deploying OpenOffice in my workplace.

The thing I like most about this product is probably the price. It's free and works well. Outside of this though I really like the development that has gone into OpenOffice. When it started out it was hideous, limited and buggy. More importantly compatibility with Office programs (e.g. Word and Excel) was incredibly iffy and lagged behind each update. There was very little reason to use OpenOffice aside from the price. Nowadays it still doesn't look great (it's better though!) but it's such an improved experience in terms of the rest of those issues. For example Writer does everything most will want from Word and I actually prefer the way that it handles pasting images and formatting tables. There are now legitimate reasons to choose OpenOffice in terms of the programs on offer, and if opensource is appealing then I'd recommend it as the default work-suite.

OpenOffice suffers the same issues as most opensource software. It is written by people that have a very good understanding of coding and perhaps are not as good at UI or understanding how to ease relatively new users into an experience that differs to Word. OpenOffice generally works on the function over form approach and so the best that can be said of most of the offerings within is that they are "not hideous anymore" The UI is both stark in aesthetic and a little merciless for newcomers though; options are packed in and occasionally something requires a little more "under the hood" work to get going (e.g. getting the default list of recent documents to be longer can be a bit of a chore)

Writer in VS
Entertainment, Zelfstandig ondernemer

I Love OpenOffice!

5 2 jaar geleden

I've used OpenOffice for YEARS now. There are so many things I love about it, it's hard to indicate just a few in one review. As a writer, I need a word processing software that, put simply, simple! OpenOffice has the capacity to do a LOT of complex things for other industries--like graphics, spreadsheets, presentations--and it can do everything Microsoft Office does, but I think the standout thing about OpenOffice is it never glitches on me (except maybe visually when I'm scrolling through an 500-page document) and it doesn't take up a lot of space on my computer so it always opens right away--as opposed to Microsoft Word which always takes forever to open and crashes on my Macbook Pro frequently. Also, OpenOffice is free.

I don't have any complaints. Sometimes when I'm working with a 500/800 page document, the text sometimes glitches visually, but all I do is scroll up and down a bit and that fixes it.

Paul Z.
Senior ICT Specialist in Roemenië
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Fast, easy and free* office suite

5 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: Since the day office became more expensive, I started to search for an alternative which I found via a website which offered alternatives for paid software packages, I even started to implement this software is other non profit companies and they had to learn a bit but never regret it!

It does exactly the same as any other paid version of office, as a really small company we need to look at every euro, since we switched, we never looked back, because we don't need more than this office suite is giving!

Its not perfect with writing to xlsx or docx, but who needs this? You normally export to PDF and you don't need these more compressed file types anyway.

Ed P.
owner in VS
E-learning, Zelfstandig ondernemer

Does everything and for free

5 2 jaar geleden

Opmerkingen: I depend on it daily for writing and spreadsheets and am not disappointed! Cannot beat the free price.

It does everything -- i mainly use word processing and spreadsheets -- without getting wrapped up in Microsoft's intrusive and expensive software. I can open and save as Word, can open CVS, etc. Easy and effective

What's not to like, except they leave phone apps to private developers and i do wish i could search and replace tabs and other formatting symbols, but nobody's asked this since Microsoft Works in the 1990s!

Mohammad iqbal K.
Mohammad iqbal K.
Project Manager in Pakistan
Computersoftware, 11-50 werknemers

The best free office suite

5 vorig jaar

Opmerkingen: My overall experience of using Apache OpenOffice was great. It saves license cost. It is fast. I am having more benefit by using operating system of my choice.

Apache Open office is a free and powerful alternative to all popular office suites. It offers all basic and advance possibilities which other office suites are offering. It is available for all popular operating systems like Windows, Linux, Android, etc. It is comparatively small in size. It is fast to run. It supports all popular file formats.

The only thing I don't like is no support for DOCx, XLSx and PPTx file formats.

Goran S.
Owner in Kroatië
Vrije tijd, reizen en toerisme, 2-10 werknemers

A great alternative

5 9 maanden geleden

Opmerkingen: I switched from MS Office to OpenOffice and I must admit, I feel no difference. It is a good thing, though, as Microsoft Office is rather expensive, while OpenOffice is completely free! I would expect a significant quality drop between the two, but I have not found one. I can only recommend everyone to switch over as it has saved me hundreds of dollars so far.

It is good at doing what it advertises. It is a full on suite of programs on par with the mainstream alternatives. I was especially surprised with how easy it was to switch from Microsoft products to OpenOffice and how little difficulty there was.

Sometimes it lags a bit. It feels like it has some optimization issues. Larger actions make my computer lag more than it ever happened with MS Office suite. I also noticed some issues with layouts and formatting - it just won't behave as I would expect it to.