Directus

Beoordeeld op 13-2-2020
Alejandro B.
Software Engineer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I have a very difficult multi-platform usecase involving languages from R/Python, reproducible data slicing, on the fly dataset creation all the way to front-end react, pregenerated app (gatsby) in a single build command. Directus is my sole source of truth, what I use to back this whole thing. This allows me to use the same translations and metadata for everything no matter if I am in R or Javascript consuming graphql, either on production client code or in static pregeneration stage in gatsby. There are other headless apis that can do this, but I cannot self host them and I need to be able to very quickly generate large datasets on the database as I research and tear them down in the same base as the CMS for the app. That is, I need this to run on my computer first. This is where directus knocked it out of the park for me. Also, docker setup is touch and go. Nothing needed. It is just great.

Pluspunten: This is Free and Open Source Software at its best. Directus has a great, well tended community, excellent developers, many options and lots of friendly answers to real questions. I have not found any other headless API I can self host in amazon or wherever I want. This makes for a local development cycle, short time to market, very easy to prototybe setup for example for react/gatsby apps.

Minpunten: The app where you manage the database still needs a bit more documentation. It does not lack features, but some features lack propper documentation. I hope to help on this in the future!

Great product that is still young

Brian M.
Senior Software Engineer
Consumentenelektronica, 5.001-10.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We had departments using many different CMS's. They ranged from extremely expensive to open source projects. While Directus is not perfect, it has proven to be better than all the others. We have actively tried to improve the product, and we find that the others in the community do the same.
Also, and this is a HUGE value, the response to questions and issues within the Directus-Slack channel is amazing! Actually, the communication and support from this organization is impeccable. Friendly, helpful, understanding. Just out of a sense of loyalty to such good people, I will want to stay with them.

Pluspunten: The interface is very friendly, and as the product matures, the installation is becoming better.

Minpunten: This is not an enterprise-level application, yet. It has a number of tiny gotchas that one has to learn about. One can still do most anything they desire.

One of the best open source Headless CMS alternatives

Goran C.
Architect
Detailhandel, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We use directus for rapid database management, and for API endpoints to the data. We are customizing the solution to better fit with our needs and it works great.

Pluspunten: 1. Documentation has been on point.
3. The easie in which it is to get started is excellent with multiple alternatives like docker, 1click digital ocean setup etc.
2. I love the "project" aspect that allows you to connect multiple database instances within the same Admin App.
3.The Admin App is written made in VUE . Its super easy to pull it locally and connect it to your existing api if you need to fiddle with it. It also has a very modern design which is appealing.
4. Easy to add custom extensions in both the API and Admin App.
5. Good code design. For example the Admin App makes use of the same API endpoints intended external use. Anything the Admin App can do you can replicate with your own API calls. I use this as a cheat sheet when i'm too lazy to look at the documentation.
6. New release come regularly, and it's really getting better all the time.
7. Can import databases that were not created within the CMS

Minpunten: 1. Support for only mysql. MongoDB support would have been magical. I have seen it in the roadmap, so let's hope it comes soon.
2. API response time. It's not bad, but its not great. I know they are working on it.

Fantastic concept, medium user experience

Davide L.
Front-end developer
Design en ontwerp, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Until now the experience is good: I like the idea and it works for the project that we started with Directus. We still need to resolve some issues, like how to properly manage pages and SEO data or how to overcome the lack of the repeater field, but it's working well. The experience with the support was fantastic. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was kind and friendly, in spite of my incompetence. I appreciate the enthusiasm and the open source spirit. Sometimes I experienced some limits for the reasons mentioned early, but I'm happy.

Pluspunten: I love the concept behind Directus: the idea to freely create a database in an easy way, organizing the content as you need or as you imagined it. I come from Kirby CM and Craft CMS and doing websites in which the custom design is the key, it's important to us to shape our content as we want. It's easy to install, the Slack support is friendly and helpful. In the search for the perfect headless CMS solution, it was my choice, also because it's open source and at the moment the pricing of others options is over budget for our clients. We were ok paying a fee for a license, but not a perpetual subscription.
Moreover, a key point in the decision to adopt it is the self-hosted solution: we wanted to avoid every possible lock-in.
Finally, the stack: working in a communication agency, we are not software engineers: PHP + Vue.js it's a perfect combination. React and node.js onthe server was a switch too big to take another leap.

Minpunten: Above all, the bugs: being open source and free it's normal, but it is frustrating in the measure we decided to use it for clients works. Second: the lack of documentation for the interfaces or for the detailed use of the JS SDK. Moreover, sometimes I felt overwhelmed by the technical details of the interface. I don't have competence in relational databases and to me too much things doesn't have a meaning. But I'm mainly a front-end developer that try to be "independent", so I think that it's normal. Finally: the lack of a good repeater. At the moment it's impossible to use a file field in it, or to repeat a group of field. For us it's almost a strict requirement for clients projects.

Directus: A Rapid, Hands-Off-Your-Data, Headless CMS

Riley R.
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Directus is fantastic for both building out databases without the tedious headaches of old, and for allowing end-users to manage and post content. There's a field for pretty much every scenario, and if there isn't one, the platform is built in a way that's extensible. The bonus on top of everything is the built-in API, which allows me to get projects up and running and cut out basically two thirds of application development. With Directus, I only have to worry about building the front-end—it's nice to know that I have the backing of an entire system as the other half of my team!

Pluspunten: I am impressed with the continuous development of Directus and the commitment to deploying frequently. There are always new features and fixes and the team releases at a pace that would make a commercial team sweat, let alone an Open-Source team.

Minpunten: The only challenge I faced while setting up Directus was a little confusion about the config of setting up multiple projects on the same install. However, the documentation was thorough and the Slack talkative, and I was soon up and running with a shared instance that eliminates the maintenance of multiple instances.

Directus, your friend and your first backend services (headless cms)

Rémi W.
Developper
Afdrukken en drukwerk, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We build our api with the minimum technical ressources. Since I'm the only dev, it allow me to stay focus on the main product. A must have for starting projects.

Pluspunten: Directus will allow you to create instant database with all security layers you may need for an api (auth, ...)

Minpunten: The data ownership by users is quite a pain (e.g : You want to create an item through a webhook and attribute it to a specific user) and user registration through api require some custom code to follow your expectation.

Best headless open source CMS

Ignacio G.
Head of Delivery
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We're creating a completely custom web in which you can reuse components.

Pluspunten: It's community support, open-source, and features. Nothing to envy from really expensive proprietary CMS.

Minpunten: Breaking changes in updates, lack of Many to Any support on App, failures updating large datasets with relationships, lack of a tool to perform migrations between environments and long URLs to consume. All of which are getting addressed at the moment :)

Great headless CMS

frontend developer
Vrije tijd, reizen en toerisme, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: You can manage your collections and content through good looking administration, you create (even complex) relationships between the collections, there is a support to manage localized content. Your content is served through REST or GraphQL API that is simple learn. Good support of roles and permissions who can consume the content through API. There is a good extensions support for both APP and API. Easy deployement with Docker.

Minpunten: Performance of API calls for more complex data (relation) can be a bit sluggish, but it can be solved by setting up cache. There are bugs that take a long time to solve. GraphQL API has still lacking features compared to REST API.

Exceptional Product

Shea L.
Web Developer
Computersoftware, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Both my clients and I update our content through Directus and we find it very easy to do so!

Pluspunten: Directus is Open-Source and provides an easy-to-use interface that allows myself and my users to navigate the system and update data and content as needed. The Rest API is well-documented making integration into any system very easy! I love being able to get setup with a new project in minutes rather than hours.

Minpunten: There's nothing I don't love about Directus, there's always something that could be added to make the product better, but it all requires financing and I can't complain when it's free

Cool but not ready to use, at least for me

Alberto A.
Software Developer
Internet, 13-50 werknemers

Opmerkingen: 7/10

Pluspunten: Easy of use, the dashboard is done really well, i think one of the best i’ve seen in a Headless CMS.

Minpunten: A lot of bugs:
- the main problem are sql queries, there was a lot of bugs when tried to create/update data or fields
- if you enable cache (via redis for example) login is broken
- when you choose the size of the fields there isn’t a grid for 3 fields

Headless CMS, easy to use and administrate

Lionel B.
Sr Director, Tech Partnerships
Internet, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: It's a central piece of our organization, with thousands of DB items that are exported through multiple JSON feeds, so that they are consumed by several clients on a daily basis. Very happy with Directus, it's an upgrade over the solutions we used before that.

Pluspunten: I like that Directus is free and open source, with an active community over Slack and that the software evolves very quickly. I also *love* the fact that you can access the whole SQL DB schema besson Directus.

Minpunten: New versions sometimes introduce critical bugs. The Directus team is responsive on GitHub and Slack, but it needs some time to validate new versions before upgrading production DBs.

Slick looking and easy to start with

Vladimir M.
Director of Technology
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Overall impression (on our initial evaluation) was that someone really invested lot of time and thought into it.

Pluspunten: CMS looks very mature, with lots of functionality already there. No need for installing tons of plugins, modules, extensions... Open source and i18n were our main perks when we chose Directus over others.

Minpunten: We've pinpointed bad time to start with it. Directus Team just started rolling out v8 where available documentation was for v7. Some small issues were visible, but quickly ironed out with swift releases. On the other hand - Slack support + Git issue tracking worked for us very well.

Only one important thing is missing

Fabian S.
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Using it to manage users of a plattform that offers handmade image-editing via a software.

Pluspunten: + Minimalistic interface
+ Cool features (e.g. to create those individual "views" on tables in the interface)
+ JS SDK that makes authorization in vue-apps a breeze
+ Token-refreshing
+ Fast
+ Easy to setup
+ "Readable" SQL-structure
+ Extensive roles & rights management

Minpunten: - There is no relation-type, that can handle relations between items of multiple collections (This is my most wanted feature, and for others too as i saw in the slack-workspace)
- sometimes things happened (i dunno exactly when) that made the DB or tables crashed (maybe referred to a faulty operation from my side)

Beginning with Directus

John K.
Software Architect
Recreatieve faciliteiten en diensten, 201-500 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: The best thing about Directus is the community. It is great to be able to ask questions and get a real person to walk you through a solution.

Minpunten: Difficult to get started. Documentation is a bit lacking / confusing.

Free headless CMS that does everything you need it to

Steve C.
Web developer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I'm using it on several websites as the backend CMS. I also have writers using it who are not hugely computer literate and they have no problems with it at all.
It allows me to build the front end of the site without having to worry about fitting in with the framework of another system.

Pluspunten: The flexibility in that it can be used with our without the api

Minpunten: It very occasionally has bugs, but the support is fantastic and very quick to listen to users and out things right

Directus works fine

Adrian N.
Frontend Developer
Programmaontwikkeling, 10.001+ werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Directus covers almost entirely the needs of the project. Many improvements are currently being developed that help make things easier, in addition to new features

Minpunten: There is a lack of regression tests that validate when new features are developed, that everything is still working correctly. Sometimes some new developments break previous ones.

Using Directus since v6.x

Kevin T.
Web developer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: we needed an headless CMS which we can self host and Directus was perfectly for this part. Easy to install and to set it up.
Specially the translation part was necessary for our first project and even without it we're still using Directus.
Version 7 was great and now we're about to upgrade some of our projects to Version 8 (the demo looks awesome so far)

Pluspunten: I really liked the headless aspect and how easy it is to build up the overall construct for your data. The API is nice documented and easy to understand.

Minpunten: In version 6 the API is really slow when your database is quite huge. The issue was reported but couldn't be solved in this version so we had to upgrade the whole project (loading time for a site was 6s+...)

Feature-Rich Admin panel

Beoordeeld op 28-6-2019
Lazer P.
Rising Software Developer
Computersoftware, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I have created a headless API that serves JSON metadata about podcasts, including a link to the MP3 file (in an S3 bucket), the name of the presenter, the series of talks to which it belongs, and a boolean isPrivate. I have created related collections in the Admin panel, and now the 1 or 2 admins who add new recorded alks can add a series easily, add a speaker easily, add a category easily, and then add a lecture - using a dropdown to select which speaker, topic, category, and series this lecture belongs to. Now the management of organizing these assets can be handled by anyone who knows how to use a web browser!

Pluspunten: The admin panel has an intuitive interface for managing database relationships (collections), users, fields for your data types. I feel excited to present my non-technical media producers with a way to add their media files, tag them appropriately by creator, relate them to 'topics' stored another table, and be able to update and add new topics with no technical expertise.

Minpunten: I had some challenges in setup that came down to outdated or incomplete documentation, but that may also be lack of experience on my side. Perhaps some things that were not explicit were actually expected knowledge that I was lacking.

Fast, simple and easy to setup.

Nils T.
Computer Sience Student
Computersoftware, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Getting started with Directus is pretty easy because the documentation is very beginner friendly.
Due to its simplistic style, it's easy to understand, but not restricting in any way. Its easily expandable and customizable and can be used anywhere.

Minpunten: There are only a few people working on the project so progress can be slow sometimes.

Great Potential

Vincenzo L.
DevOps Developer
Internet, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I'm currently using Directus and working on customizations, sometimes it appears hard to add custom modules or to work on the already existing architecture but I'd say that I'm generally positive about Directus.

Pluspunten: Directus is quite impressive about the potentials it have from a business point of view.
The software is easy to configure and the community is very active continously improving the available functionalities and solving known issues

Minpunten: Some features are still not fully working (i.e. forgot password and reset password needs some work)
PHP in my opinion is not very flexible for developer, so it require lots of components to be added

THe first headless CMS that truly can claim the name headless CMS

Beoordeeld op 19-11-2019
Benjamin K.
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I love having the ability to create EXACTLY my Interface in the Backend as i needed. I can easily extend it, and if i got problems the Team is made up of really great people. I would not ever think about using any other CMS currently as this is, as a Developer, a real heaven.

Pluspunten: - Data is 1:1 mirrored for the End User and you can implement DD interfaces as a dev yourself.
- JSON REST API
- User and Groups

Minpunten: - There are still some rare bugs. (But the team will squish them afap as soon as it is reported)

Very lightweight Open-Source headless CMS

Artem B.
Computersoftware, 2-10 werknemers

Pluspunten: - Open-Source
- Lightweight
- On-Premise Version available
- Great support

Minpunten: - Sometimes too breaking changes in the minor versions
- Support mostly only for the last main version

Directus: Best Open Source Headless CMS Out There.

Derek W.
Software Engineering Consultant
Computersoftware, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Overall Directus has been great.

Pluspunten: Pretty Easy to setup.
Conceptually it's easy to understand, just a wrapper on mySQL.
Very powerful API
Very easy to use admin interface.

Minpunten: There's a considerable number of bugs, and some features just flat out don't work anymore (caching).
The documentation for docker wasn't great, but it is getting better!
PHP isn't that fast, I haven't been able to get sub 100ms response times.
PHP isn't a well loved language anymore, and fewer developers know it each year.

A fair customizable CMS

Damien L.
User Experience Designer, Ergonome
Design en ontwerp, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Directus allowed me to quickly build up a multilingual CMS for various client projects. It was not so complicated to setup although the overall UX could be improved, especially for the newcomers.

Pluspunten: I really appreciated the potentialities to adapt the CMS to many various environments and contexts.

Minpunten: It it sometimes cumbersome to understand the logic when discovering Directus. It lacks a comprehensive support for beginners, for usual and advanced use scenarios.

Love how easy it is to start creating APIs

Alex M.
Detailhandel, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: The documentation was really good and I found it easy to figure things out without needing to contact the support guys all the time

Minpunten: Not having available plugins to use out of the box and having to build them.