Alpha Anywhere reviews

4,5 /5
  • Klantenservice
    4,7 /5

Over Alpha Anywhere

Een geïntegreerde ontwikkel- en implementatieomgeving voor mobiele en web-apps met afzonderlijke componenten zonder code en met weinig code.

Meer informatie over Alpha Anywhere

45 reviews worden weergegeven

Philip S.
President/Lead Consultant
  • Beoordeeld op 14-2-2017

"THE Application Development Platform for Web and Mobile"

Opmerkingen: First, a confession: I'm a former MS Access developer (please don't judge me!). I converted to Access from DOS-based dBase IV. I discovered Alpha 5, several years ago, from an e-mail ad (that's what it used to be called... it became "Alpha Anywhere" a couple of years ago in order to highlight its ability to develop on multiple platforms). The offered a free trial, so I decided to give it a try. Well, after 2 weeks, I was hooked. The applications I develop now dwarf those I'd developed previously. I'm doing things that would never be possible in Access... and giving my customers "cloud" access to their apps. If you're a serious business application developer, you should certainly give it a try! Here are some things you should know (the good and the not-so-good): As an Access developer, I loved that could use the back-end tables and queries in Alpha. That made the transition much faster. Now, most of my new applications, use SQL Server (added security, reliability and scalability), but I wouldn't fault anyone who stuck with Access tables (they're easier to create). Alpha lets you use almost any SQL-based application (MySQL, Access, SQL Server, Oracle, etc.) for your data set and even includes its own "dbf" format. They advertise Alpha as "codeless" development. Well, that's a bit misleading. YES, you can develop basic applications with little or no coding, but I've found that you'll need to learn some javascript and XBasic, if you need your application to do more than rudimentary data entry and retrieval. That was my biggest struggle. With Access, I really needed only VBA. XBasic and javascript are more powerful and more complex. Even now, I feel like I have a lot to learn about javascript. Alpha still needs to work on its documentation (their new documentation site is much improved), but their "message board" is great and the Alpha community is a terrific resource to help you get ideas and resolve issues. I've fully installed more than a dozen full-scale applications (on public servers and my own servers) and I couldn't be more satisfied with the experience. I'd recommend Alpha Anywhere to any developer that's in it "for the long haul." It will grow as you do.

Pluspunten: Flexibility in choosing the platform and destination and flexibility in choosing the back-end data set. I love how much you can do, without having to resort to writing code

Minpunten: I wish there was a place I could call, when I ran into an obstacle. If I can't get an answer to my problem, I have to hire an independent consultant on an hourly basis. I'd rather pay a fee to get access to a phone line that could help me.

van Alpha Software op 14-2-2017

Thanks for your feedback, Philip!

• Beoordeeld op 14-2-2017
Richard M.
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 8-1-2017

"Great WEB and Mobile Rapid Application Development software"

Opmerkingen: I have no formal programing training other than self taught knowledge. I was using Delphi to create desktop applications for tracking to progress of building permit through the review and inspection process. I was hoping to move from a desktop application to a web based application and was looking for a easy to use platform to develop Web based application.
At some point I discovered Alpha software and downloaded the trial version. I was able to build a fully functional permit tracking application in a very short time, with very little coding in the background. Alpha's development environment was similar to Borland Dephi (using Visual Pascal), i.e., it is an object oriented, event driven, rapid development environment that allows the user to set properties to control desired results.
Initially, I used an Alpha mentor to help with some of the coding in XBasic and JavaScript. Now I need little support to work in Alpha Anywhere.
More recently, I have been developing mobile based applications using tools included in Alpha Anywhere. The most difficult element of building mobile applications using Alpha Anywhere and Phone Gap has been getting through Apple Developer requirements for publishing.
I would recommend Alpha Anywhere to develop web based, client server applications, for developers at any level of programing experience. For those like me, with only self taught knowledge, it works great. For developers with a strong programing background, the application is flexible enough to allow customization.

Pluspunten: The ability to develop very robust web based an mobile applications with little coding. The applications I have developed are very stable in use.

Minpunten: The development platform has a tendency to be unstable. It is not unusual for the software to lock up during use. I have used the software on a number of machines with similar results, it can just lock up with no recovery at any time. I would recommend saving work often.
The platform uses a number of programing languages such as, HTML, JavaScript, Jason, and Xbasic. Each is a little different and can get frustrating when coding.

• Beoordeeld op 8-1-2017
Randy P.
president
Bouw, 11-50 werknemers
    Zonder beoordeling
  • Beoordeeld op 8-1-2020

"Decent software"

Pluspunten: The software makes it easy to create a quick and dirty application in little time as long as it is a simple application

Minpunten: Complicated applications require a very advanced understanding of javascript and xbasic. The annual cost that Alpha Software charges increases a lot every time that I renew the licence.

van Alpha Software op 15-1-2020

Hi, Randy -
We appreciate your review of Alpha Software. Thank you!

Re: Complexity - Consider Alpha Mentoring for help you with any challenges you run into. Or consider our no-code product Alpha TransForm, https://www.alphasoftware.com/alpha-transform-overview-and-free-trial

Re: Pricing - Historically, we've kept our prices extremely low and have slowly increased price to reflect advanced and industry-first features we're adding to the platform (robust offline, on-device data storage, Alpha Cloud, etc.). I think you'll find we have extremely competitive pricing vs. what you see for other low-code products. We publish our prices online:

If you have further questions please contact [email protected]

Thanks again for your business and for the review!

• Beoordeeld op 8-1-2020
Stephen G.
Ziekenhuis- en gezondheidszorgbranche, 10.000+ werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 28-8-2016

"Professional Caliber Rapid Development Software"

Opmerkingen: Have been using Alpha Anywhere for a few years. It has allowed me to build and deploy a completely custom web application with a SQL database backend complete with administration tools, inventory lists, purchasing, email notifications and full featured reporting.

Pluspunten: Development with this software is extremely rapid. I really like that Alpha Anywhere does the heavy lifting in terms of taking care of all the behind the scene coding. Yet at the same time you are completely free to customize any and all code to your hearts content. In that regard it is the perfect software for both the novice and seasoned pro. Alpha is continually moving forward with new and exciting capabilities. Support is great and the online Forum community is vibrant, active and willing to help when needed.

Minpunten: Maybe a little expensive for non-corporate customers.

• Beoordeeld op 28-8-2016
Michael C.
  • Beoordeeld op 29-8-2016

"Easy to use yet powerful"

Opmerkingen: Developed multiple products over a period of 5 years. They all run in the browser so suitable for Intranet and Internet. My applications are always heavy in data. I need tools to connect to databases and tools to visualise the data. Alpha allows custom HTML, CSS and Javascript there is nearly no restriction on using 3rd party libraries.

Pluspunten: Simple to build complex security.
Connects seamlessly to multiple data sources.
No restriction on how many database connections per page.
The message board is well supported.
There are 1,000 plus short videos that explain most features.
You can always add to the basic structure whether it is Bootstrap or AngularJS

Minpunten: Sometimes if you are determined to use your own CSS and Html within a component then there is a little work to neutralise the base Alpha page setup.

• Beoordeeld op 29-8-2016
Scott M.
Co-Founder and President
2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 21-10-2016

"A powerful tool that is easy to integrate with external services"

Opmerkingen: Alpha Anywhere allows you to build powerful web applications (both mobile and desktop) at a fraction of the cost/time vs. using open source tools. One thing that has really improved in the last few years is they have made it very easy to integrate Alpha Anywhere with external services like Stripe, PhoneGap, Mandrill, Amazon etc. and if you want you can easily roll your own integration with their easy to use Node.js tools. End users (at least in my case) expect to be able to integrate their data with the popular sites they use and Alpha Anywhere makes this possible. The ability to code where you want and drag and drop at other times also makes the development environment a pleasure to work with.

Pluspunten: -Includes numerous built-in-features such as mapping integration, calendar, PhoneGap.
-Speed to develop.
-Supportive User Community
-Reasonable price

Minpunten: None

Scott L.
Computersoftware, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 13-12-2016

"Alpha Anywhere is a great development tool."

Opmerkingen: I've been using Alpha Anywhere for over 8 years and have developed a plethora of commercial applications for a wide range of industries. I've been strictly a web developer with recent mobile applications development.
I cannot say enough good things about Alpha Anywhere and the team behind it. The software is always being enriched with new capabilities and functionality. There is a terrific support team that responds quickly to any request. And there is a community of developers that is always willing to help.
I recommend Alpha to every developer and enterprise that has a goal of developing high quality web and mobile applications.

Pluspunten: Full featured and constantly improving.

Minpunten: There is so much to this product that at times it is difficult to find the functionality that I'm looking for.

James T.
Company owner
Computersoftware, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 13-12-2016

"Alpha user for over 20 years"

Opmerkingen: I have used Alpha Software in its various forms since 1993, starting with the DOS version, then moving to the Windows version, and now the web and mobile version. We use it exclusively in this office to create custom applications for businesses. We are a two person shop and tie this RAD product to MS SQL Server for the back-end database.
What keeps us using Alpha is its constant innovation in the product and its response to developers' requests. On at least two occasions, I have requested minor changes to the interface and those requests have been implemented within 24 hours.
Keep up the good work, Alpha Software.

Pluspunten: Ease of use, wide variety of features, how it ties into SQL and javascript

Minpunten: Not widely known and often have to explain to clients who Alpha Software is

Robin B.
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 11-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 21-10-2016

"Unbeatable multi-platform development environment"

Opmerkingen: We use Alpha Anywhere in our development shops in the UK and Indonesia having switched from Microsoft products back in 2012. The move to Alpha has meant that we can build systems more quickly, for more platforms (including mobile and apps) and using a wider range of "standard" technologies than we previously had access to via MS development tools. Highly recommended both to software houses and in-house corporate developers.

Pluspunten: great support from developers, multi-platform, "does everything"

Minpunten: the systems and apps developed sometimes need a visual "polish" (the built-in templates/designs are being refreshed I believe)

Frank W.
Senior Software Engineer
Computersoftware, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 22-11-2018

"Alpha Anywhere - flexible, powerful, affordable"

Opmerkingen: We use Alpha Anywhere to quickly build very solid apps for clients. This solution ensures speed, flexible and reliability, thus enhancing productivity and leading to happy and satisfied clients.

Pluspunten: The thing I like best about Alpha Anywhere is how incredibly easy it is use it, even for users that aren't experienced.
Another thing is that's, considering the features it's packed with, it's really quite affordable. Most other solutions with similar features are far more expensive than Alpha Anywhere.
I also love the support I get from the team behind this software. They're great to work with, knowledgeable and constantly improving the product.

Minpunten: The only thing I can complain about is the rather limited documentation, though it's not really a big problem as the software is very easy to use and they have great support if one ever needs them.

van Alpha Software op 26-11-2018

Thanks for the review, Frank. We're pleased to hear you enjoy the product. We are continually working to improve our documentation and appreciate the feedback.

• Beoordeeld op 22-11-2018
Spencer C.
Technology Director
Schoolleiding, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 13-7-2017

"It is powerful, but it is not as easy as they would claim it to be."

Opmerkingen: Easy application development.

Pluspunten: It is a powerful solution for highly customized applications. It allows creating web pages with dynamic data quickly with little code. It has a lot to offer to developers who need to get information from users and display that information to other users. It connects to many if not all external servers. It allows for a complex security system that gives the access to those that need it and restricts it to those that don't need or shouldn't have it.

Minpunten: It gets pretty complicated and the pricing just doubled. The application uses a lot of resources, so make sure your computer can handle it when you are dealing with a lot of data and controls. Ther server is stable, but I do need to restart it when I get a lot of users, maybe a once a week, I hope an update will fix that.

• Beoordeeld op 13-7-2017
Mark W.
Admin
    Zonder beoordeling
  • Beoordeeld op 18-1-2018

"Great and Fastest App Development App"

Pluspunten: I have been using Alpha Software more than 10 years in various settings (from nonprofit to commercials). It requires very little knowledge to develop an app. The more you create DB apps, the better you get. The best part I like about alpha five is how interactive and less coding the development environment is.

Minpunten: Which X-basic was more interaction. Sometime I ran into issue with the builtin PDF printer on windows 2012 server. It does not work correctly. Also, I wish the web app development was as simple as creating desktop app.

• Beoordeeld op 18-1-2018
Frank Z.
  • Beoordeeld op 13-12-2016

"MS Access to Alpha Anywhere Transition"

Opmerkingen: I am an old MS Access dog and wanted to learn web/mobile development quickly. I tried many other tools but always ran into a wall. Alpha Anywhere is flexible and easy to get things done. As I learn more, I see many other features under the hood that allow me to refine and customize my apps. I believe I can accomplish any function with Alpha Anywhere without running into a wall. My first mobile development application for a schedule check in/out function for 50+ users has worked as intended. I continually improve and refine features as I learn more. I have also developed several dashboard applications using Google charts embedded in my Alpha Anywhere project. I highly recommend Alpha Anywhere.

Pluspunten: Easy and flexibility

Minpunten: Documentation and finding the syntax for uncommon features.