Blackboard LMS for Business reviews

3,7 /5
  • Klantenservice
    3,8 /5

Over Blackboard LMS for Business

Via de innovatieve technologie en diensten helpt Blackboard for Business organisaties een strategisch voordeel te behalen met educatie.

Meer informatie over Blackboard LMS for Business

294 reviews worden weergegeven

Gabriela R.
Employee
Voedselproductie, 10.000+ werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 19-5-2020

"Blackboard LMS for Business Review"

Opmerkingen: My overall experience with Blackboard LMS Business is always amazing! It has helped and improved my grade so much because it lets me know ahead of time when assignments are due, which has helped be more organized as well. I love this software so much and I suggest everyone to use this!

Pluspunten: A feature that I love the most about this software is it allows teachers to upload assignments online to eliminate the use of paper. This software is such an easy to use software and really simple to change any settings for the liking of your choice. What I also love about this is that it is a good platform to take tests and quizzes, which is super amazing because it is not confusing at all. I absolutely love this and it has helped be more organized!

Minpunten: A feature that I would like to see in the future is the mobile app, it could use a little improvement and it is a bit slow, but the desktop version is amazing so it does not really bother me because I usually check and do everything through my desktop. I still absolutely love this software.

• Beoordeeld op 19-5-2020
Professor of Science
Hoger onderwijs, 501-1.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 7-10-2019

"A decent LMS, but there are better ones out there that have less workability issues"

Opmerkingen: I have used both Blackboard and Moodle in the past, and I found them very similar for what they offered. I would have been fine using Blackboard indefinitely had I not found out about Canvas, which is what we are using now and I am absolutely it's biggest fan!

Pluspunten: I used Blackboard for almost 10 years, and it was a decent LMS for my needs. When Blackboard Collaborate came out, it was even better because it added a new layer of possibilities (I could have several webinar/conversations going, merge conversations, and/or present to different groups at one time). However, there were always bugs in the system, even though we updated constantly. The Blackboard app was also very limited.

Minpunten: Too many bugs and freezes; many of my students had issues with accessing links when they used different internet browsers. Good for a small school or business, but not larger ones.

• Beoordeeld op 7-10-2019
Bethany S.
Librarian
Schoolleiding, 501-1.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 7-1-2021

"It's a good product"

Opmerkingen: We use this for submitting time sheets and various student interactions.

Pluspunten: If you have the support from your school's IT department, this software can be great. I've used it when working for different schools and used it as a student user. The options to personalize could be better. Some things I didn't find useful and couldn't remove from my viewing space.

Minpunten: Not being able to personalize options to my needs. If I don't want to see a feature on my home page I should be able to remove it completely, not just move it over.

• Beoordeeld op 7-1-2021
John C.
Professor
Hoger onderwijs, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 23-3-2016

"a Long Term User's Honest Experience"

Opmerkingen: Quick background, was in high tech sales and marketing for many years prior to teaching and heavily involved with custom Computer Graphics systems since Time Arts Lumena was around (predecessor to Photoshop). Check out my LinkedIn profile for more details. On to the product review -- I've been using Blackboard for *many* years, and have been teaching (and doing) Web Design and Development since 1993. I'm retiring shortly, so I can be absolutely frank and honest about my experience with this app without fear of upsetting IT folks or admins that I would have to work with in the future. Truthfully, the ONLY reason I use this app is because I have no alternative at the College where I teach and it gives the students easy access to information, but so would any LMS (Learning Management System). The UIX (User Interface Experience) is incredibly archaic and counter-intuitive. It's also painfully slow to use, as it does constant server requests (just paste the URL for a Blackboard connection into http://www.webpagetest.org/ for testing). Sometimes one single click every 15 seconds is all the system will react to when I'm using the grade book, etc. -- in the "real" world, without captive users, no one would ever return to a site with those response times. To be fair to Blackboard, part of that may (or may not) be our schools network or Blackboard interface setup. As far as usability, Blackboard needs to let the User Interface and UIX designers (if they even had any) direct the techs and coders. It's *very* obvious that it's been the reverse, . They should 'steal' some Apple UIX people and give them some *real* power to direct how the app works and what it looks like. I've just finished using Blackboard for 3 hours+ doing things that should have taken 1 hour or less had the interface been optimized and more thought out. For example, under the 'Assignments' and 'Course Documents' sections there is no easy way to reorder or batch select using something basic like check boxes or a multi-select hot keys. Also, any NEW assignment or document post goes to the BOTTOM (the absolute reverse of a Blog post) So I need to drag it back to the top (where it logically should go). However, even that is awkward, since when I drag to the top of the browser the window does not auto-scroll. I have to hold the left mouse button at the same time as I use my middle finger to roll the mouse wheel -- duh!!. There IS a small text window pop-up accessed via an archaic icon to reorder posts, however, that shows only 5 assignment titles at a time (no window resize function to show more than 5). I can reorder them there, but need to do a single mouse click each time it moves up one position, but again, with no way to see more than 5 and no way to multi-select. So, if I have 50 course documents and want to shift 5 new documents to the top (where they belong) that's almost 250 mouse clicks to re-position 5 documents to where they should be in the first place - duh!! In Gradebook it only shows 10 students listed by default. I can change the setting up to 50 but the next time I go back it's back or need to refresh something -- it's back to 10. It doesn't save defaults or give me a choice. This may seem to be nit-picking, but over the period of a 14 week semester that's a lot of wasted time time and clicks. I'm going to end my review here as I have more work to do, but when I saw a 4 star review for this LMS being the solo review I had to balance it out. Bottom line is, the concept is good -- many, many modules/tools in a LMS bundled package but the execution is absolutely awful. Just Google search 'Blackboard sucks' or 'I hate Blackboard' if you want real faculty and user opinions sans any marketing spin. Other telltale signs are when a company start to lose long-term clients. Ryerson University in Toronto just did a switch from Blackboard after "a multi-year consultation process". More on that process is here http://lms.blog.ryerson.ca/ Hopefully that last paragraph doesn't get censored, because that's the source of raw truth.

Pluspunten: 1. it's an LMS and something is better than nothing.
2. It's full of examples I can show my students on how not to do UI and UIX
3. Well established company is behind it
4. Modular front-end
5. Many bells and whistles

Minpunten: 1. Counter intuitive, clunky, awkard UI (User Interface) - improve it by hiring UI/UIX experts and giving them actual control over the app interface and functions.
2. Slow (even when on the same network node or high speed cable connection) - needs a code rewrite/optimization.
3. Ancient aesthetics (although some design elements are now "flat design-ish") - hire UI and UIX designers and actually allow them to direct the final interface.
4. Many glitches (I've a folder full of screen-shots, if you want proof) - again a code rewrite needed, or ideally a complete start-over with newer code philosophies and methods.

• Beoordeeld op 23-3-2016
Eugenio C.
Professor
Schoolleiding, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 15-12-2020

"How a big platform loose the ranking"

Opmerkingen: The mobolebapp is not functional, there is no gamification nor maestries.

Pluspunten: I like the advertisements they did in the past, everyone knew how expensive and famous it was.

Minpunten: They did not innovate, they both a lot of little competitors and lately they are selling them because that strategy has lost again more innovative platforms and cheaper.

• Beoordeeld op 15-12-2020
Kayla K.
Student
Biotechnologie, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 15-4-2020

"BlackBoard as a student"

Opmerkingen: It's super easy to navigate and find all your resources on. It's well organized and I love it.

Pluspunten: I really like using blackboard. It is a lot better than other programs I've had to learn for school. It is super easy to navigate. You can find all your assignments there. There's a calendar to make when assignments are due. My favorite part I think, is the fact that you can email another student through blackboard. So if you are doing a project and you've never met your partner, or don't have their information, you can email them through blackboard.

Minpunten: There really isn't anything that I don't like about it.

• Beoordeeld op 15-4-2020
Landon C.
Server
Levensmiddelen- en drankenindustrie, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 26-4-2020

"Blackboard analytics"

Opmerkingen: I have used Blackboard for over two years and I love everything about it, I really like the reminders for my work.

Pluspunten: I love how easy it is to use blackboard in my everyday life. This software has helped my stay on top of my assignments and work.

Minpunten: I don't like when blackboard goes under maintenance, because sometimes it can be difficult to get any assignments done or my work done with the website is down.

• Beoordeeld op 26-4-2020
Germaine K.
Program Assistant
Schoolleiding, 201-500 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 17-12-2020

"Learning on BB"

Opmerkingen: Overall, Blackboard Learn is a pretty good experience. Students are able to access many things.

Pluspunten: I liked how this software is very easy for students. Instructors can give assignments, show grades, and upload attachments. Changes are instantaneously.

Minpunten: I don't like how Blackboard constant go through changes and is often down or having technical issues that'll need to be passed onto customer service.

• Beoordeeld op 17-12-2020
Rahul R.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Schoolleiding, 5.001-10.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 29-9-2020

"Blackboard Review"

Opmerkingen: Good educational software with some great features but the server crashes are annoying.

Pluspunten: Blackboard is easy to use,exams are easy to deploy,announcements are very good and even the bullet-in board is a very handy feature.

Minpunten: The server crashes very often and this can be very annoying because if we are in the middle of something,the progress doesn't get saved automatically.

• Beoordeeld op 29-9-2020
Student Advisor Assistant intern
E-learning, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 30-11-2020

"Blackboard Review"

Opmerkingen: my overall experience with blackboard learning was very positive allowed for affective communication and learning among students and professors all around the country.

Pluspunten: what I liked most about the software was that it was user-friendly and allowed me to correspond with students and professors efficiently to address issues/concerns.

Minpunten: what I like least about blackboard was that it did at sometimes have IT issues in which they did incorporate their own that would be able to handle any problems that we encountered.

• Beoordeeld op 30-11-2020
Brian C.
Sr. Health data analyst
Medische praktijk, 10.000+ werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 7-11-2017

"Great way to manage several classes with great flexibility to match personal style"

Opmerkingen: Overall it’s an improvement over just 20 years ago when a syllabus and careful listening were the only way to connect with students. Also, I’ve had great success sharing ideas with colleagues. Of course, faculty can be just irritating as the abovementioned students. I’d say an “ignore” buttons would make this score go from a 7 to a 9.

Pluspunten: I love the ability to reach all of my students or any subgroup in multiple ways. For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized l.

Minpunten: The law of unintended consequences applies directly to blackboard. The same convenient and varied options that make the product great also give students more access (and wildly unrealistic expectations) to their professors. This is great for the 5% of students who have helpful and legitimate questions, but obnoxious for those who expect instant responses, midnight submissions, and A grades for D papers because “they clearly are trying. Just look at their blackboard logs and see!”

• Beoordeeld op 7-11-2017
Hannah D.
Clerical Assistant
Schoolleiding, 501-1.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 5-8-2019

"Needs some work for organization"

Opmerkingen: Not great. If I were to choose, I would go with canvas, which my university will be switching to in the next four years.

Pluspunten: Probably my favorite thing about this software is how you can link videos, external links, and also professors can create quizzes, assignments, and tests on the platform and select various settings for their individual assignment/assessment. I LOVE taking tests on here because they are straight forward.

Minpunten: They really need to add a "flag" feature to the tests that are made and administered through the program. There have been many times when I am taking a long multiple-choice test and am not sure of the answer but then remember it 20 questions later, but by that time I can't find the original question that I remembered the answer for. The organization of this information system is, however, trash. Navigating around the site between classes and tabs within each class is annoying and not very intuitive. The way the site is made reminds me of someone trying to make a sign with a lot of diverse information, but everything on the sign is 12pt time new roman font - there's little differentiation between different ideas and concepts.

• Beoordeeld op 5-8-2019
Consultant
Hoger onderwijs, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 23-2-2016

"Well established platform"

Opmerkingen: I am consulting for two institutions - the one a large higher education institution - 45 000+ Blackboard users - self hosted and the other - smaller business school - 1000+ Blackboard users - hosted. I present training and support to the faculty on how to use the LMS. Although one can discover a lot for yourself using the Blackboard help site, there are a few tips and tricks that make life a lot easier which is not always that intuitive. Problems that we are trying to solve: changing the faculty's teaching philosophy from traditional lecture based teaching to a more active learning environment. Blackboard certainly address that well - as long as you plan your activities properly, you can get excellent feedback for example let the students read or view a video on a specific concept and then let them write a pre-test before they come to the lecture. This will help you to identify where the gaps still exist which you can address then in class. Also using a flipped class room approach - Blackboard can be used to assist you in flipping your class room where you can also monitor and track which of your students engaged beforehand. I have been using WebCT and then Blackboard.

Pluspunten: Everything is in one space - lots of tools - the sky is really the limit.
I also like the Best Practice parts of the help site - it helps you to get ideas of how you can use the tools.

Minpunten: In terms of support from Blackboard, sometimes the person who receives the inquiry do not read properly or English is a second language because we often have to explain again and again before they understand - that is the only frustration I currently have with the support. It is unfortunately a very expensive product since the institutions are not based in the USA and therefore we are subjected to the exchange rate.

• Beoordeeld op 23-2-2016
Joel thomas B.
Teacher
Schoolleiding, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 24-11-2018

"As both a teacher and a student - Blackboard works for me"

Opmerkingen: Make sure you explore the user guides and options, blackboard can be a powerful tool but some of it's features are less than obvious!

Pluspunten: As a instructor blackboard lets me integrate a lot of different types of media through Kaltura, structure time released content ,vary assessments, and deliver individualized learning opportunities. All of these elements are crucial to my instruction. As a student, I get mobile access and notifications about grades, announcements, and course changes that help me manage my learning.

Minpunten: While the features are wonderful, they are somewhat convoluted to properly utilize, requiring more steps than I would like, and can sometimes be "hidden" in such ways that I have to refer back to user guides because it's not a very intuitive integration. Therefore, as a student, I find many of my professors do not fully take advantage of the learning management system because they have limited knowledge.

• Beoordeeld op 24-11-2018
Juliano carlos D.
Network Administrator
Schoolleiding, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 7-6-2019

"Great and Powerful LMS - Blackboard."

Pluspunten: The way we can review the documents; The better way to report plans localized to the group. I can gauge what matters more simple and directely. I like all the information, the trend is in one space, graphed automatically and an easy way of collaboration and track deliverables.

Minpunten: We don't have any major issues using Blackboard. It is a really good service for us!

• Beoordeeld op 7-6-2019