Gemiddelde scores

4,4 /5
  • Klantenservice
    4,4 /5

Over Squarespace

Squarespace is het alles-in-één platform om een aantrekkelijke website, online store of portfolio te creëren.

Meer informatie over Squarespace

1.972 reviews worden weergegeven

Jane R.
Owner and Big Kahuna
Publiceren, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 13-12-2019

"Great design, great features, great support"

Opmerkingen: I was first introduced to Squarespace when I hired someone to design the website for my business, and he showed me how to make changes myself. From there I started to play with it and ended up creating simple websites for several clients, many of whom were then able to take over their own upkeep and maintenance. And in the three years I've been working with Squarespace sites, the features and support have only improved. I also love that they're very attuned to what's trending in graphic design, so their templates never look dated.

Pluspunten: The aesthetic. Squarespace's design templates are fresh, current, and appealing to begin with, which provides a lot of options for customization.

Minpunten: It's not the most intuitive interface ever, but that said, they provide outstanding how-to articles and videos and infinitely patient customer support, so it's not hard to figure out how to do what you want to do, even if you have no coding experience.

• Beoordeeld op 13-12-2019
Mark N.
Executive Director
Management non-profit organisaties, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 31-3-2021

"Allowing my nonprofit's website to stay adaptive and relevant amidst an ever-changing web."

Opmerkingen: Squarespace won me over after years of thinking I could do a better job "designing it" on my own with free templates for WordPress. Time and time again I would spend days or weeks on the site, be happy with it, and then months later it would all be out of date, look old, and not function in the ways that information transfer had shifted by internet users. I decided that a professional, clean and easy to use Squarespace site, with robust back-end capabilities is what I needed, and I have not been disappointed.

Pluspunten: Squarespace really has their act together in offering a clean, easy to use , beautiful web building platform. I run a media and video production nonprofit, and the needs and functionality of my site have evolved almost yearly since 2013. The way that people engage with content on the internet is always changing, and I got caught up in the flow of trying to always evolve the website to keep up. I used GoDaddy and WordPress for too many years, and eventually migrated them all to Squarespace because it was all just so much more streamlined, modern, clean and simple. I now have the basic website I need, and know that there are many many ways to customize it if needed without messing up the whole site (as happened many times on WordPress) I changed my entire .com and .org from a WordPress template on GoDaddy, and could not be happier with the customer service I received from Squarespace, they were so helpful in getting everything aligned for the transition.

Minpunten: I wish there were maybe 15-20 more templates, and that a few of them were specifically meant for video galleries, as that is what my organization focuses on in our storytelling, videos. I would love a template tailor made for aggregating videos. For now I can use a photo gallery or blog and adapt it, which works fine, but my wish list would be a video focused and designed template.

• Beoordeeld op 31-3-2021
Andrea C.
Copywriter + Designer
Design en ontwerp, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 23-7-2019

"SquareSpace is a let-down. It's hard to use and is missing basic features. The marketing fooled me!"

Opmerkingen: Overall, I hated using SquareSpace and I was so disappointed because I switched away from WordPress + Divi to give SquareSpace a whirl based on SquareSpace's amazing marketing. What a let down. I will never use SquareSpace again. My client wanted both of his sites designed in SquareSpace because he was also duped by the ads. I made one site and it took forever because I was constantly googling how to do something with code to get the site how we wanted it. If you use SquareSpace be prepared to be frustrated or to hire a developer. Basic functionality is missing and you can't copy anything you've done to use elsewhere. I wanted to duplicate the first site and modify it for the second. You can't do that. I had to make both sites from scratch. Support was absolutely terrible. Zero help compared to the awesome Divi support staff that has made my designing life so great for so many years (I'm not an affiliate, just a fan). Oh! And SquareSpace is expensive! You have to pay for each and every site. With WordPress, you pay for hosting somewhere, like Siteground, and you can add as many sites to that account as you like no charge. Squarespace has pretty templates that you can't modify pretty much at all, and it's expensive with terrible support. Do not choose SquareSpace as your CMS unless you are a developer. Awful.

Pluspunten: SquareSpace has beautiful templates. They are truly gorgeous. SquareSpace also has an easy-to-use sidebar of options that puts everything that you can do on the left side. The interface is as clean as the templates. Hosting of your site is done through Squarespace. That's it when it comes to pros. There are a ton of Cons to using SquareSpace.

Minpunten: As a WordPress user (who has also designed with Wix), SquareSpace falls short almost everywhere. You can't import your brand font—essential. You have to use code or a back-door solution with AdobeFonts. If you want 5 items in a row, no can do. You get 4 or 6. You can't drag the amount of padding around items and sections. You must use spacer blocks (time consuming and such a bad way to do things). There's no media storage! If you upload your photo it isn't stored anywhere for easy selection later. You must upload the same image multiple times whenever you need it—frustrating. Changes can't be made on individual copy styles. Squarespace sets up its CMS as a global system so if you want to change the way your font looks in just one place, you need to insert code (markdown block). You should be able to select it and change the size or colour. But no. It's CRAZY! So time-consuming. Missing basic word-processing functionality. Squarespace has no plugin options. You can't duplicate a page of your site and you can't duplicate your site! Everything is done from scratch! In WordPress, you download a .JSON file and upload it somewhere else and you're flying. Not with SquareSpace. You can't make your overlays look different per section. Everything applies globally. You can't add borders to images. The biggest CON? There's no undo! No revision history. If you delete something accidentally, it's gone forever. Support is terrible. Every answer is "you can't do that" or "try to find code.

• Beoordeeld op 23-7-2019
Osman P.
Business Consultant
Financiële dienstverlening, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 23-3-2021

"Absolutely fine!"

Opmerkingen: I've used this software before and it really helped me with my website in the past. It has some good features and not difficult to use. You pretty much get what you pay for. Also, know that if you are aiming for really professional websites I wouldn't suggest you use Squarespace. But if you just want to set up a decent site in a short amount of time, I would definitely suggest you this software.

Pluspunten: First of all, it is extremely easy to set up websites in no time. It has some cool and modern-looking templates that you might want to consider. It is user-friendly and not much knowledge of coding is required which makes it a good choice for many companies and people. Even though I didn't struggle much with anything whilst using this software, support was always there to help.

Minpunten: The way that the client can't change a lot, implies that expert clients are restricted and don't have much freedom. Other than the lack of freedom when choosing templates and editing fonts or just the way the website looks, I don't see any other downsides to this software.

• Beoordeeld op 23-3-2021
Anne G.
Gezondheid, wellness en fitness, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 11-2-2021

"Easy and Elegant"

Opmerkingen: I love SquareSpace. I would really need to be wowed to switch to another company. This has everything I want (not just need) to create a great first impression

Pluspunten: I love how simple it is to create the aesthetic I want to share with the public. The customer support team was so helpful whenever I met a snag in implementation. That hardly ever happened though, because it is so straightforward to create my own website with gorgeous content thanks to SquareSpace and their templates

Minpunten: There have been a few times where links have broken on my website and it has been challenging to get them reinstated.

• Beoordeeld op 11-2-2021
Konisha H.
OWNER
Cosmetica, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 7-1-2021

"Squarespace Review"

Opmerkingen: Overall I love Squarespace. My site runs smoothly I have not had any complaints from customers of card sales not going through of the site not working properly. I do use this app on a daily bases updating inventory, changing images and checking analytics for my social post to see the increase of traffic.

Pluspunten: What I like most about Squarespace software is that it is very user friendly. It has up to date functions and accessibility for you to use other apps in combination with this app. I also like that there is a scheduling feature to take appointments. As a Cosmetologist this was very important to me as a buyer.

Minpunten: A feature that I like the least would be the shipping page on the features within the website. I feel that it could be more simplified or more automated to link with shipping rates based on the weight and measurements of the product. I figured it out eventually but honestly that part of setting up my site was a headache.

• Beoordeeld op 7-1-2021
Maya jade H.
Manager of Web Strategy & Operations
Openbaar beleid, 201-500 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 4-1-2021

"Squarespace is my "personal website" platform of choice"

Pluspunten: I'm from the old school, where websites were created from scratch using Dreamweaver, and I also built a custom (but poorly designed) site on Angelfire that I still have today.
Once Wordpress came along, things started to move in the direction of putting the control in editors' hands, so that knowledge of CSS and HTML were no longer necessary to get your content out there.
Today, I daresay that Wordpress has too much of a learning curve, and that Squarespace is taking the lead in "ease of use," as well as the most visually appealing back-end experience for the admin/editor. It's also super easy to set up and very affordable.

Minpunten: I built two completely different websites using Squarespace (one for personal use and one for someone else's business), and I did not encounter any cons.

• Beoordeeld op 4-1-2021
Eli S.
Public relations en communicatie, 11-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 30-1-2021

"Website development made easy"

Opmerkingen: When needing to get landing pages that look professional up quickly, Squarespace is a great option.

Pluspunten: Easily and quickly launch customizable website that had all of the capabilities I needed for simple landing page, as well as more sophisticated embedded tools.

Minpunten: Sometimes the squares can be difficult to move around and can change the entire look and layout of the landing page if accidentally moved in the wrong way.

• Beoordeeld op 30-1-2021
Vervoer/over de weg/per spoor, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 25-2-2021

"It's... okay"

Opmerkingen: I like it. It's easy to just setup and go. But there isn't enough customization opportunity without good code knowledge. And while there are great tutorials and videos to guide you along, I am a visual designer so it felt slow and clunky.

Pluspunten: If you just want to load up and pick a template and replace the words and photos with your own content and be live within an hour or two it's great.

Minpunten: It's highly customizable, and you can use code to write in your own css to do things that you want. But, if you do not have good code understanding it can be a bit much. And every template is pretty much exactly the same, so your finished product looks fantastic, but it's very dull overall.

• Beoordeeld op 25-2-2021
Financial Services Professional
Financiële dienstverlening, 10.000+ werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 21-3-2021

"Simply the best website builder out there"

Opmerkingen: Amazing product overall. I wish there was a way to talk to customer service on the phone.

Pluspunten: Far and away the easiest and best looking website builder on the market. Not even close. They follows the rules of design so you can't mess up your website. Because they have some restrictions when you are designing your site, you won't be able to place a random box or logo anywhere on the page. This means you won't make it look horrible by design.

Minpunten: Because they have some restrictions when you are designing your site, you won't be able to place a random box or logo anywhere on the page. This is a huge positive but can be a negative if you really want to get super creative. Aesthetics are maintained at the cost of some minor limitations in creativity.

• Beoordeeld op 21-3-2021
Amy S.
Partner & Brand Director
Marketing en reclame, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 30-3-2021

"Easy drag-and-drop alternative to other web platforms"

Opmerkingen: I'm a copywriter, designer and brand/marketing consultant. I've built multiple small sites myself, and on a handful of others have directed freelance designers and developers on site build-out. First Squarespace site I did was in 2016. We build websites for clients on Wordpress, Shopify and Bigcommerce as well. And tend to direct clients to Squarespace if their content will be visually-driven, perhaps a little lighter on the e-commerce side, and when they'll benefit from the ability to create new pages -- especially marketing landing pages under their own domain -- without the need to call in extra developer/programmer assistance.

Pluspunten: Squarespace's drag-and-drop platform makes it really easy to create a great-looking, full-functioning website... that can be organically changed, added to and otherwise modified over time. If we have clients who need to create marketing landing pages under their own URL, Squarespace is the one website platform that offers this natively and elegantly. We find ourselves needing to call in programmer/developers far less often when creating or modifying a web site on Squarespace. The ability to add forms, email captures, slide shows, etc., is all native to the platform, without needing to add a bunch of plugins. Your editing window is the actual page, so you can see what your dragging, writing, and otherwise placing on the page in a completely visual editor view. If you are someone who doesn't do coding... and likes the ability to drag sections and elements, set your own colors, padding, etc., Squarespace is really quite flexible and easy to use.

Minpunten: It doesn't do a perfect job of scaling photography from desktop to mobile views. It certainly does it, but sometimes requires a little creativity to set the image focal point and/or scale the original image so that it looks good in desktop and doesn't look too big in mobile. This is less of an issue with large banner-width images than with smaller inset images. Takes a little getting used to. The only other issue we've run into is that the interface is so easy to use that we've had a client go in and make color and photo changes we'd have preferred he didn't. Easy enough to correct. But, generally, our clients are too intimidated by other platforms to get in and change things, so just something to think about and create a plan/process around on a Squarespace site.

• Beoordeeld op 30-3-2021
IT Specialist
Internet, 11-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 20-2-2021

"When minimalism was a luxury"

Opmerkingen: I trully believe SS is being hold hostage by its once glorious minimalist phyloshophy and streamlined way of doing things. Their templates all look the same now.

Pluspunten: Squarespace helped us develop good looking and fuctional website in no time, with outstanding streamlined interface and ease of use with minimalism in mind. + Premium fonts.

Minpunten: In my personal opinion, I think SS is lost with its minimalist phyloshopy and streamlined way of doing things. It was good a couple of years back when it was the only kid in town but websites have developed so much that the need for robust features and fuctionality is more a necessity than a commodity now. They just released their extension feature but it consist of no more than a few addons.

• Beoordeeld op 20-2-2021
April H.
Owner/Artist
Beeldende kunst, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 8-1-2021

"Great for Artist E-Commerce"

Opmerkingen: Without Squarespace, this pandemic would have had a much bigger impact on my business than it already has had. I am grateful that I have an attractive, easy to use website, especially now when more and more of my customers are buying online instead of in person. Squarespace allowed me to create my own very professional looking web presence without requiring that I have a degree in software engineering or computer programming to do so.

Pluspunten: I've been using Squarespace for many years now, after trying at least three other website hosting platforms, and Squarespace is by far the best, most versatile, and modern one. It was difficult to find a platform that caters to artists who are also businesspeople...Artist-oriented websites didn't work well for e-commerce, and e-commerce websites didn't work well for art. With multiple pricing options, the platform is perfect for my small, handmade jewelry business. With myriad website "themes" you can customize your website to really tell your story and present unique, one-of-a-kind products. They have an app so that I can easily edit inventory from my phone. Squarespace is easy to use and has all the options that I need for running a business.

Minpunten: Sometimes the product photos do not show up in the right order, instead of displaying in the order that I arrange, they display in the order in which they were uploaded. Also, I have been using Squarespace for so long that I use an old template, but from what I can tell, I can't transfer my products and images into a new template. I would have to start all over with creating products, pages, and adding photos.

• Beoordeeld op 8-1-2021
Whitney D.
Director of Advancement
Schoolleiding, 11-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 16-12-2020

"Easy to Use, High Quality In-House Website Design"

Opmerkingen: We researched and previewed a number of website development platforms before selecting Squarespace, and we've been very happy with our choice. It is very user-friendly and easy to learn how to customize and brand our pages. It is a great, cost-effective option that we recommend to other schools looking for a tool to manage their website in-house.

Pluspunten: Squarespace is a very user-friendly and cost-effective product that allows us to create, maintain and adapt our school website in-house. Clean, professional templates are easily customizable and provide us the functionality we need to maintain an active web presence. The phone app also provides a good amount of flexibility to make quick edits and adjustments to our site on the go. The ability to create forms that can be directly linked into Google Drives has been one notable positive for us. It gives us the option to quickly customize and create forms that can then be shared and track responses for us. The website analytics function is very helpful in providing us with real-time insights and date on web traffic and usage.

Minpunten: There are some natural limitations to the ability to customize pages that will come with any basic website development platform. For example, in order to upload video, it must already be hosted on another platform (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.).

• Beoordeeld op 16-12-2020
Student
Fabricage van elektrische/elektronische producten, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 30-11-2020

"Extremely easy to use but expensive"

Pluspunten: 1) We can easily select the fonts and colors of the site from the side menu so that when you select the h1 or h2 it directly applies that heading structure and design. 2) Very clean. By this I meant to say that every option is properly differentiated and well defined. 3) The easy integration of the site with Google Drive creating a google sheet is very much appreciated. 4) The website is by default responsive and that is really helpful when you are just starting out building a website. 5) I have never ran into a problem where I need to get contacted with the customer care as the options on the site are pretty much self explanatory. 6) There are no pop ups or any things that distracts you while creating the website. 7) I have started learning the website building when there was some offer to use the premium feature for 15 days. I thought that after 15 days I will leave the site and will check out another website building services but I stuck to this site after that as the ease of use is too good and the features are easy to understand. 8) There are no hidden charges unless you yourself purchase any add on premium services and everything goes smooth.

Minpunten: 1) There is not smart alignment feature in this website building engine. 2) The price of the basic website is too much in comparison of the other website building engines. 3) Here one needs to have the structure ready before hand designing the website as it goes step by step as changing the site fonts and color will be challenging if not decided earlier. 4) The premium email with the G-Suite feature is too expensive then other service providers. Also the advanced analytics are not provided in the personal plan.

• Beoordeeld op 30-11-2020
Bridget C.
Sales
Bouw, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 1-12-2020

"You get what you pay for"

Opmerkingen: After trying multiple free website building options, I finally relented and tried out the demo version on Squarespace to see what the learning curve would be like, and if it would be worthwhile ot go the paid route for a website. The answer was a resounding yes, and I've subsequently built 3 more sites with them since our first one. I tell every new business owner starting out, check out squarespace, save yourself the headace of the free platforms that limit creativity, and watch your business grow by the day.

Pluspunten: Ease of use
Easing learning curve
layout options
customizations options
sleek templates
quick onboarding

Minpunten: Towards the beginning of my experience with Squarespace, I needed some customer sesrvice and the process to find where I could go for help was not easy. This was back in 2017 however, so I'm not sure if that process has improved since then (I'd like to think so!)

• Beoordeeld op 1-12-2020
Alyssa P.
Founder & Creative Director
Design en ontwerp, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 4-10-2020

"Squarespace is my favorite web design platform as a boutique web designer"

Opmerkingen: I love Squarespace. I've been using it for over 3 years and have been able to quickly produce several websites with it. I'm a little disappointed by how much Squarespace is limited on design, but the tradeoff is worth it with how easy their platform integrates e-commerce, email marketing, scheduling, and inventory management all-in-one.

Pluspunten: Squarespace is clean, sophisticated, modern, easy to use, and has built-in features such as domain purchasing, email marketing, scheduling, and e-commerce that make it easy to run a business. With Squarespace, I can trust that my clients will be able to manage their website 100% by themselves once I finish designing it for them. With other platforms (like Wordpress), I cannot guarantee the same. I also like how transparent Squarespace's pricing and plans are. It's so easy to upgrade or downgrade as your needs change. In Squarespace, I can design a high-quality website extremely fast and share the draft with my clients easily.

Minpunten: Squarespace is the least flexible of all the web design platforms that I work with in terms of design customization. There are a lot of different types of widgets and ways to display content that simply aren't available on Squarespace because the platform limits what you can change in the design (probably to prevent websites from turning out bad). I've also noticed that Squarespace websites typically load slower than some of the websites I've built on other platforms like Webflow and Duda.

• Beoordeeld op 4-10-2020
Mimi M.
Integrated Producer
Marketing en reclame, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 14-4-2020

"Allows anyone to be a professional, easily"

Opmerkingen: Overall, I am pleased with Squarespace. I think it is the most professional website builder out there. However, its price point and its inconsistencies hinder it from getting a 10/10 on my end.

Pluspunten: I like how easy to customize and use Squarespace is and always has been. Especially with their latest version release, site building has become more customizable than ever. Their templates also serve as awesome inspiration. Customer service is also quick, friendly, and efficient.

Minpunten: There are some inconsistencies across templates and versions. Things like adding a caption to galleries or password protecting a portfolio page - which you'd think would be options, based on previous templates or other modules/page types, are not available across the board. This is frustrating when you're building a site with a specific vision in mind, but you can't achieve those results. CX associates have also told me that there are 'bugs' that are being sent to tech teams, however they can't provide updates on ETA's for fixes. It has been a month since I was told that, still no fix. It's not a good look to have such a tech-forward company fail on promises or updates to users on bugs, or elements that are prohibiting from utilizing the platform in the ways expected. Squarespace is also quite pricey compared to its competitors.

• Beoordeeld op 14-4-2020
Kim B.
Tekstschrijvers, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 21-1-2020

"Top quality website and easy to create!"

Opmerkingen: So far all my experiences are incredible! They get back to me right away whenever I have a question or issue. Fast to resolve.

Pluspunten: Top quality website! Very easy to create a professional looking website all by myself. The templates are wonderful and suitable for all different types of programs. Absolutely love it!

Minpunten: The monthly subscription program is pricey but a less expensive option then what I've used before.

• Beoordeeld op 21-1-2020
Alanna W.
Photographer
Fotografie, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 17-1-2020

"Love hate relationship."

Opmerkingen: It’s a good option for the price, but as soon as I can afford more, I’m personally going to move on to a better website builder with more customization ability.

Pluspunten: I love that it looks classy even if you’re not familiar with how to use website designing softwares. This is mostly due to the fact that they only allow certain liberties to the user unless the user knows code. In other words, they do not allow the user to make major changes to their templates, because they had professional designers put the templates together so they’d look great! And why let the user mess with a professionally designed look?

Minpunten: The fact that the user cannot change much means that intermediate users are out of luck. In my case, I am very familiar with how to make an appealing design, and I am also familiar with website builders in general, BUT I do not know coding so I can’t change details that way. Because I know more than a beginner, I get very frustrated at the limitations in design that I am dealt by Squarespace. For instance, they only allow 3 font styles throughout the site, which I understand is a great design approach, but sometimes a different font size or color is NEEDED. Just saying! (Particular afternoon campaign you might want to feature on a particular page, a slight color variation so it shows up better on a photo, etc.)

• Beoordeeld op 17-1-2020
Entrepreneur
Schoolleiding, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 15-1-2020

"A beautiful website, tailored to you"

Opmerkingen: I have a beautiful, functional website to direct clients to. It has a blog, a shop where they can purchase items and much more. The site allows me to capture visitor information, make sales and create first interactions with me and my services. It allows me to have a "home base" from which I launch all of my projects and ideas. I have had Squarespace for several years now and never plan to change--it's really that good! I have experimented with other providers but never found anything so well crafted and easy to use.

Pluspunten: Squarespace allows you to select a plan that fits your needs. You can choose plans with unlimited pages, commerce options and much more. I love that it's made to be user friendly and there is no coding required (you can code as an advanced option but it's really not at all needed since they offer you everything). You can add all kinds of features to webpages, like forms, surveys, images and much more just by adding elements they call "blocks". This makes it very easy to customize the website to look, feel and operate just like you would like. If you previously couldn't realize your website dreams due to a lack of technical know-how, you can use Squarespace to design like a pro.

Minpunten: Sometimes it can be slightly unintuitive as to where to find something, so it takes me a few extra minutes to find out where I can tweak a specific setting. Customer support is excellent and fast to respond but only by email or chat, not by phone. You do have to upgrade to a higher plan for some features, like abandoned cart recovery at checkout, for example; however, for the value they offer, I think all the upgrades are worth the cost.

• Beoordeeld op 15-1-2020
Ian B.
Director of Marketing
Marketing en reclame, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 11-12-2019

"A website-builder following the K.I.S.S. mantra"

Opmerkingen: Squarespace can't do everything you might want from a website. Or... well... it probably nearly can. The devil is in "how" it accomplishes things. Essentially the whole product keeps you "on rails" as you roll out a website. Every element within the builder has maybe one or two customization options, but the rest is hidden behind an impenetrable interface. But, Squarespace isn't just keeping functionality out of your hands to be cruel, it is often saving you from yourself. By limiting the options available to you, they also limit the potential outcomes of your foray into web design / ecommerce / etc into mostly desirable ones. Sometimes, rules/restrictions can be good! In this way, I'd say they are kind of like the "apple" of website-building platforms.

Pluspunten: At one time, Squarespace's slogan was "build it beautiful." They take this mantra seriously, as the platform makes it almost impossible to NOT make a beautiful website. Can it be restrictive? Yes. But in limiting the user's options, it often is doing them a service. If you absolutely must have functionality or an type of implementation Squarespace doesn't support, then you probably need the help of an expert (either a dev agency or a marketing/design agency) or you are yourself an expert – in which case, you probably should have started with a more sophisticated tool.

Minpunten: The one area where customization is often necessary is in CSS. A bit of custom CSS goes a long way toward making a site look less like a template. Just as having a clean crisp UI/UX is the bread and butter that makes Squarespace sites so attractive to small businesses, having a "one-of-a-kind" look can go a long way toward making those businesses look more credible. It is a delicate balancing act, which Squarespace usually nails quite well... but the lack of documentation on how the site treats custom CSS is a shortcoming. I basically end up anding "Important!" to everything, because it is impossible to tell what elements of my CSS Squarespace is going to arbitrarily overwrite with no explanation.

Kinsey V.
Photographer
Fotografie, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 11-12-2019

"Web Design, but make it fun."

Opmerkingen: I first started using Squarespace under another Photographer, whom I was managing their studio and day to day "to-do's". I took over her website maintenance and blog, to which was surprisingly easy to navigate. I loved how I was able to read analytics and see what content was working and what was not. The sleek layouts made a few easy clicks look like I spent 4 years in web design. So it was really a no brainer when I decided to start my own business; I knew I would be showing my work to the world through Squarespace. There is just something about the designs of these Squarespace websites that look stunningly polished and exceptionally functional.

Pluspunten: As a former user of Wordpress, I found Squarespace to be a breath of fresh air. I've be using it since 2014 and have never looked back. It actually made designing my website and grabbing analytics fun! When navigating the software, it felt like I had been here before. It was so easy to find the tools and customize the fonts and sizing to my preferences. Adding pictures in where I need them is easy and the layouts they offer display my work in such a beautiful fashion that even I'm blown away. All in all, I love this software because it offers so many different themes and customizations without being confusing. It's actually fun and I love that a blog is included with my site. It's like a whole other site to customize and tweak to your taste. I was never a blogger before but now I don't have a choice, Squarespace makes it too easy to make excuses now.

Minpunten: There are very few things that come to mind when talking about disliking this software. I do wish there was a larger library of fonts readily available for each area of customization, across all themes.

Kael K.
Website Creator
Milieudiensten, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 31-10-2019

"The best website builder for lightweight needs and support"

Opmerkingen: Overall, Squarespace has saved me a great deal of time managing the website and keeping it updated and current. It hasn't been without its headaches but it's definitely nice to be able to leave it sit for a period of time without worrying about technical difficulties. I used WordPress in the past and it's much, much easier. The major downside is your site will look Squarespace-y. All Squarespace sites have a certain modern styling and it's difficult to give it a unique look but that's the price we pay for simplicity.

Pluspunten: The ease of creating and managing the website are its strongest suite. There is definitely a learning curve and not everything is intuitive out of the box. However, once you get through the quirks it can save substantial amounts of time creating content and maintaining the site into the future. It takes a lot of complexity out of website creation. It's a major relief to not have to worry about updating plugins and hoping something doesn't break. It's mobile friendly out of the box and much easier to handle things like image galleries or even selling products.

Minpunten: Every website must be on its own plan. No bundles or creating multiple websites on the same server. Choosing a template upfront can be tricky because it's hard to foresee what capabilities you'll need down the line and each template has its own abilities and quirks. You can always change the template but that often requires substantial reworking of the content. Also, you must work with the confines of what Squarespace can do. If you're trying to do something relatively complicated you're likely to run into roadblocks and limitations and you'll be stuck doing it the "Squarespace way" or not at all.

• Beoordeeld op 31-10-2019
Meghan H.
Director of Operations
Restaurants, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 30-9-2019

"The Best Website Builder for Simple Sites"

Opmerkingen: I genuinely love this tool for creating websites. It is easy to use, cost efficient, and turns out a great end product. I have used it to make websites for photographers, restaurants, and sales businesses alike. It is so versatile and every site visitor thinks it's professionally done.

Pluspunten: This software is easy to use, intuitive, and when you can't figure something out Support is right there for you. They have tons of how to videos and instructions that make everything pretty easy to figure out.

Minpunten: I dislike the spacer feature - it gets pretty annoying to use those instead of being able to snap an object to a grid and align that way. It works much like Microsoft Word in the sense that if you try to resize or adjust something, sometimes everything on the page moves.

• Beoordeeld op 30-9-2019