Float review for Audio Visual Studio

Brad W.
Senior Graphic Designer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: With using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.

Pluspunten: As a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.

Minpunten: Sometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.

So Glad I Found this Software!

Beoordeeld op 5-8-2019
Jonathan K.
Training Manager
Vrije tijd, reizen en toerisme, 5.001-10.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Overall, it has been a value add to the way we do things. We were using Google Sheets to schedule and calculate bandwidth before and the limitations were severe. I'm thrilled that we now have an easier and more attractive way to plan work!

Pluspunten: I like the ease of use for bandwidth calculation. Before Float, it would be very difficult for us to understand Trainer occupancy, and it was also a challenge to schedule trainings far in advance over several regions. With Float, I can see what's coming up at a glance and provide accurate reports to stakeholders so that they know how busy we are and will be. At the end of the quarter, I can easily calculate and show how much time we spent, and on what.

Minpunten: For my specific use, access can be a challenge. I need something between "Project Manager" and "Member." For me, it would be ideal if there are a "Department Manager" role where people who had this level of access could modify the schedule for anyone in their department, but not see or edit the schedule of other departments.

Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups

Davy H.
Content Manager
Marketing en reclame, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Our company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.

Pluspunten: Easy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.

Minpunten: When creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)

Resource planning in big picture

Beoordeeld op 9-9-2019
Tomasz F.
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Float is great tool that helps us in three ways: 1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks to this we can easily know what specialist and when will have free time for some short maintenance or start new project. 2. Planning time off office days 3. Get statistics about how much time was spend in which project in wide perspective and quickly check who and when was working on what milestone off the project for client reports.

Pluspunten: How easy it is. To book resource or edit time range you only need a few clicks or drag and drop.

Minpunten: It will be nice to get notifications about not booked time of some resource and small tool for moving all booked resources for a given project in time.

Float Review

Christian D.
Scheduling & Material Manager
Telecommunicatie, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We used to use a HUGE white board and dry erase markers for our schedule. We thought that this was the best way for us to tackle our job scheduling and Float was met with a bit of resistance once the boss said we were going to try it.
WOW, were we wrong. I would never look back now that we are using Float. One of the best tools we ever used. We are scheduling anywhere from 18 to 26 techs on this program and I fully encourage anyone even thinking of possibly trying out a program for scheduling to do your self a favor and try out Float. I'd be shocked if your not impressed by it.

Pluspunten: Kudos to you guys! I love the newer faster Float! You are making my job much easier & faster. Love the faster navigating/scrolling and the changing of a task’s time by scrolling on the schedule up or down beats the hell out of having to open the task and do it from there.
Love the new feature that you can hover over the work task and the notes appear without having to open the task.
Great job, keep it up!

Minpunten: Would like to be able to move a task to the afternoon (or lower in the cell) for a day where it is not a full days worth of hours and there is nothing else for that employee that day. Example, I have a technician on a 4 hour training course and it is in the afternoon. He has nothing else scheduled that day but I can't move the task lower in the cell so it looks like it is scheduled for the morning. It would be nice if you could hover over the "Time off" cells and see the notes associated with it , like you can for a work task, without having to open the "time off" cell.

Great Visual Tool for Resource Management

Beoordeeld op 1-8-2019
E-learning, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We've been able to better project planning times for business needs coming in. When we know how long something takes via Float, we're able to give clearer milestones to our clients and we can manage our internal deadlines better. When you're able to take a quick peak at Float and see what someone is working on for the next few days, it's a more efficient way to manage resourcing expectations internally and across business units internally.

Pluspunten: With Float, I love that you can make instant decisions on capacity management. I can assign someone a scheduled task and easily move the task back and forth between two team members if needed. It's a great visual tool to see how long people are spending in a certain area and to help plan ahead for the future. It gives a full visual picture of capacity and resource management, which can be hard to do. I love that you're able to assign color coding and different notes to each project, so you can monitor the health of the project properly and understand how many people are actually touching it.

Minpunten: Sometimes, there are some small glitches that happen, where you make an update and it either disappears or adds additional time to someone's schedule (making them fully at capacity). There aren't many cons to this application other than that because sometimes it can just take a lot of refreshing and some rework because sometimes the refreshes can cause a loss in information inputted.

Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues

Beoordeeld op 9-9-2019
Joseph B.
Resource planning intern
Milieudiensten, 501-1.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Although I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don’t dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.

Pluspunten: Float is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.

Minpunten: The performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn’t something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of ‘splitting’ tasks that occur across multiple days. I have found that it often leaves blank gaps that give the illusion that a team member is working more hours per day than they actually are. There are a few features that I would like to see when going forward. Firstly, I think it would be good if there were different options when ‘resizing’ a task. Currently, the task can be resized independently across both axes (i.e. how many hours per day, and across how many days). I think it would be good if there were an option for these to affect each other – i.e. the total number of hours allocated to the project remains the same and could be allocated fewer hours across more days, or more hours across fewer days.

Beautifully simple and easy to use

Beoordeeld op 26-1-2019
Aidan D.
Chief Product Officer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Float is a product I like using, and I wish some of its features and UX elements were in the other software that I use! We use Synergist for job and project management, but Float for scheduling because it UX is so much better than Synergist's scheduler tool.

Pluspunten: Float's user interface and logic are inspirational. They have made the activity of coordinating multiple resources on multiple projects about as easy as it can be. They have paid a lot of attention to usability, efficient use of screen real estate and simple navigation. However the killer feature is the intuitive yet clever way that searching and data navigation work. All searching and filtering is done using a single search field, which offers indexed word search on pretty much everything including tags. There is also a well-worked out protocol for handling union and intersect searches.

Minpunten: The only real bugbear is that any user that can enter data into the system can define new values for any field. It isn't possible to centrally control lists such as task names, clients, job descriptions etc. This means that if you have more than one person using the system, very quickly you get different versions of the same thing being defined (e.g. job roles being slightly different) which makes it difficult to analyse across records. Not a dealbreaker, but I do think it should be possible to lock down lists of values. Also it would be good if you could zoom out the view a little more - if you're dealing with more than a dozen resources/projects.

Program Manager using Float

Beoordeeld op 11-2-2019
Program Manager
Internet, 201-500 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We are using Float in our organization to manage resource allocation and we have been using it for the last 3 years. It has been mostly great and enhanced our resource allocation amazingly and provided great visibility into resourcing across different programs and into the future. We use Float to track Holidays and vacation across all regions (worldwide), we use it to forecast allocation and revenue across the team per each project. Permissions are straightforward and allow us to control what we want. We can keep projects as tentative while awaiting for the contract and still allocate people to provide visibility into anticipated resourcing load. Overall Float has been great for us and I would recommend it to any organization providing services and focused around resourcing their team. Float has been constantly evolving and you can notice the difference and improvements rolled out weekly if not daily. Thank you for your work Float team!

Pluspunten: - Easy of use
- Performance
- Interface
- Good visibility into my resources and their load

Minpunten: - There were couple glitches and numerous updates in January but that is resolved now
- Previously performance was not great, but there are great improvements recently on that part
- Adding holidays could be easier
- When grouped by project I'd like Float to show all assigned project for people, not only specified project

Multi disciplinary studio management

Beoordeeld op 22-1-2019
Heather M.
Senior Creative Project Planner
Design en ontwerp, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Currently managing a team of 9 designers in a multi disciplinary team with 30+ different jobs daily. Tool has worked perfectly well for top line management of workflow and constant changing priorities. Visually easy to understand. Since the recent update the software has performed so much better then expected and has made a massive difference to usability.

Pluspunten: The simple usability of the software. How quick it is to add jobs, extend and move jobs around to different people. Flexible scrolling through the weeks. So easy to set someone up and get started with very minimal training. Report system very useful for monthly reports. For top line project management this is the perfect tool.

Minpunten: The search bar sometimes doesnt work or show particular jobs on occasion. Search seems to only work within the month you are viewing, rather then showing a job from a previous month. This is intermittent and sometimes works to find what you are looking for when refreshed. Still need to test this after the software update to see if it has been resolved. Doesn't refresh for designers, so we have updated and moved jobs around and they aren't aware as their float has remained the same, unless they manually refresh the window. Would be great to see more in depth project management potential, such as uploading briefs, designs and signing them off all on this software.

Finally -- time management that works for project managers and visual designers

Sara D.
Partner + Brand Strategy
Design en ontwerp, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We needed a way to easily plan and then communicate on our respective tasks for the week. With Basecamp (what we use for project management currently), we could pull to-do lists, but we didn't have a macro view on the week or the month with the time that it would take to complete those tasks. My designer felt like he couldn't really "'visualize" his week and couldn't communicate easily what tasks were taking more or less time than needed. Float has proved to be invaluable for time management and communication.

Pluspunten: I like that I (as a project manager) can manage time easily for our team of two, but can easily add contract workers, and that visually it works for my designer as well -- he struggled with really seeing how his week needed to flow when just using tasklists, like Basecamp.

Minpunten: Anything I haven't liked has been added (e.g. ability to do recurring tasks, reordering tasks). It's a small thing, but we also spend way too much time trying to figure out colors for all of our projects after using the default ones. I would love to be able to add a project from the schedule interface -- like when I go to schedule time and I type in a project, it tries to find it; if it's not there, it would be nice to just have "add this project" without having to exit out of the scheduling box and go into Project.

Flexible, collaborative scheduling

Beoordeeld op 18-3-2019
Lead Developer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: It's been a learning experience for us as a team, and myself as an individual. We now push all work in as soon as we even believe it will happen and mark it as tentative. We can add milestones and deliverables so everyone collaborating on the schedule can see how much work there is and how likely it is they'll be able to add more in. A great tool that's got us away from the horror of scheduling in excel.

Pluspunten: Can easily see the whole stream of work. We were using excel, not ideal, especially when it came to needing to change it and others had it open. We'd done this for years, not great. This tool means we can react faster to the needs of our busy studio. Adding milestones has been invaluable because we can easily see where pinch points will happen. Handling employee leave and work hours is now super seamless as float deals with it for you using the 'time off' feature.

Minpunten: It can be fiddly to arrange work in the correct order if you're doing less than half a day block at a time. Fortunately, this doesn't typically affect us, as we deal almost exclusively with long term, large projects.

Unbeatable task and team manager

Beoordeeld op 30-7-2019
Marco F.
Administration, Finance and Control Plant Manager
Farmaceutica, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Easy, Easy, Easy! Uncluttered and extremely intuitive user interface. Basically no learning curve, even for unexperienced users. Despite its clean and tidy interface, Float is still ideal for enterprise use. It sports a very powerful team manager platform, perfect to assign and follow tasks, instantly spreading any update with team members. Automatic reports allow to keep under control time consumption.

Minpunten: Float run in cloud, there's no possibility to implement a self hosted solution.

Float is great

Beoordeeld op 13-2-2019
Allysa J.
Marketing en reclame, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: It's really really REALLY easy to use with a very intuitive interface. Float is continuously tweaking features for the better to further improve upon the UI/UX. My project management team did a lot of research on resource management tools and Float was the only one that allowed for such a granular view (i.e., instead of planning sprints in 2 weeks, it's day by day). We needed that for our business as we are run day-to-day with sometimes very small tasks (0.5-1hr) and Float was the only one allowing us to get that granular. Further, whenever we've had an issue the Support team is very quick and responsive to helping us!

Minpunten: The Reporting tools aren't as great and well-organized as our Finance/Billing team would like. But the front-end is superior to the other tools my team considered so we are still using on that front.

Great tool for day to day business!

Rick D.
Developer
Internet, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Float is very easy to use and makes you activities for the day very insight-full. As project manager it is possible to see all the activities for the team in a blink of an eye. The sorting functions are great; by project, by team and more. Also adding repetitive tasks and scheduled items is very easy. This tool improved our daily workflow greatly!

Minpunten: For now we really don't have any dislikes at all. All our requirements for good planning/team management software are met in Float.

Flexible and responsive

Ben C.
Deployment Manager
Telecommunicatie, 10.001+ werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Float has given me the ability to schedule resources from a regional perspective and utilise cross project multi skilled resources.
I can easily search a resource skill and view their availability !

Pluspunten: Being able to make changes and have those changes reflect live on my teams phones is a HUGE benefit!

Minpunten: responsiveness of the website. Would be great to have local instance for a faster response when making changes

Great software

Rachel S.
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Float allows the entire studio to understand what they're booked on and gives the managers a greater understanding of when tasks are completed.

Pluspunten: Float is a really helpful piece of software, especially for running studio resourcing. The flexibility of being able to move jobs between different resources is great. Definitely one of the easiest resourcing tools i've used.

Minpunten: After doing a a few resource moves the system gets a bit buggy and you have to refresh or sometimes log out and log back in again to see the changes you've made.

Scheduling application for groups

Beoordeeld op 15-11-2019
Brian D.
Senior Consultant
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I needed a place to make calendar entries and schedules visible to PMs and consultants without having to set and manage permissions in other popular email and calendaring applications. Float fits the bill giving my entire team access to their tasks and view others. It allows the PMs to see this information as well. It also provides mobile access through a dedicated appm

Pluspunten: I like the ability to see and control the schedules of my consultants at a glance. It's simple to use and create new entries for others. I can see where my resources are scheduled and their availability to be scheduled for additional tasks and projects. I like that I can move tasks around easily.

Minpunten: I don't like that I have to create a new project and task for each entry. Mostly they are the same types of tasks, but one offs can be irksome at times. It's a small inconvenience since the application meets all of my other needs.

A great solution for a small team with room to grow

Gordon w H.
Digital Project Manager
Design en ontwerp, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Not having to rely on tools that weren't built for this purpose to achieve the desired output is fantastic. Excel is for numbers and spreadsheets, not managing project.

Pluspunten: I love that this is an affordable, web-based, easy to configure and use tool that is extremely flexible. There's a lot of power in only asking for as much information as is needed in order to be useful. It's a great visual way to manage projects and people and to get a sense of how people's workload is at any given moment. As an end user, it's great to be able to see how my week is looking at the start so that anything that comes up can be managed and it's a burden to try and juggle it all.

Minpunten: Float very much purpose-built to schedule work, but there are a number of features that are present in more project-focused solutions which are lacking-- namely time tracking and dependencies. However, adding some of these features might sacrifice that which makes Float great at what it does, simplicity.

Float Review - Digital Agency

Alice T.
Project manager
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I love how simple the interface is. Everything is clear and on one page, useful reports, labels and additional features such as tentitive work or team views make resourcing much easier. I really like using this tool, I use it everyday at my work. It is easy to manage the pipeline and resolve clashes easily.

Minpunten: I love how simple the interface is. Everything is clear and on one page, useful reports, labels and additional features such as tentitive work or team views make resourcing much easier. I really like using this tool, I use it everyday at my work. It is easy to manage the pipeline and resolve clashes easily. It works well for a lower amount of people. As the buisness grows it is more effort to maintain. However for companies with less than 100 people this is a great solution. One negative is they removed the alt click drag to copy fundtion which I really found useful. Genreally it is a great tool!

Great Concept with Some Server issues

Chris N.
Integrated Producer
Marketing en reclame, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Float helps us accurately manage our project life cycles and also individual workloads to ascertain useful information about performance rates and also account health.

Pluspunten: Float is visually very easy to read and allows users to be succinct but detailed at the same time.

Minpunten: Float tends to not register all our changes and tends to not be completely "LIVE" as it requires multiple refreshes at times to attain the most updated information. This is mainly happens when there are multiple project managers. The export report is not as detailed as I would like it to be. It would be more beneficial to have monthly exports with breakdowns per job, per person and per week. I need to use the raw data more often than referring to the online report so it would be good to see some improvements on this.

Review after 3 years as an Software Company to follow our client's project

Beoordeeld op 12-8-2019
Project Director
Computersoftware, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We choose Float because it doesn't do a lot of things but what it does it do it well

Pluspunten: Easy to use
Collaborative
Efficient for each project manager

Minpunten: Difficulties to follow each budget for every project we deploy
Smartphone apply very limited

First impressions after a couple of weeks

Matthias B.
Co-founder & CEO
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Float works as expected but has a couple of UI glitches. It's a bit hard to get real overview as soon as you have more than ~5 people or want to get a long-term view. The tool has a lot of potential and definitely works better than an Excel sheet ;-)

Pluspunten: It allows for very transparent capacity planning within the company. Every employee can see their own and co-workers schedule in advance and make changes to it. Also it forces project managers to do capacity planning since this is our “single source of truth” for planned work. We also like the focus of Float to solve only one business problem.

Minpunten: There are a couple of things that we discovered in the past weeks: - Milestone tooltips are buggy – they sometimes don't disappear
- Horizontal scrolling with a classic mouse does not work as expected (SHIFT + scroll)
- It would be nice to have an iCal address for team members to see all “time off” entries in Google Calendar or other calendar apps
- Working with recurring tasks is a real pain (Rescheduling within weeks, splitting etc.). We chose to not use this feature alltogether.
- It would be nice to have a sync with GitLab to be able to select GitLab issues instead of defining “tasks” in Float all over again.
- It would be nice to automatically sync “time off” and G Suite's “Out of office” functionality
- Due to the horizontal view it's quite difficult to get a long-term view of capacity. It's only great for short-term (~1 month) planning.

Quick and Easy!

Bryan T.
A/V Field Technician
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: It's still quick and easy even with its very few flaws. my coworkers and I are all scattered around the country so its nice to be able to quickly look at an upcoming job then find out who is on it with me without having to call them all and find out who I'm working with!

Pluspunten: I've only been using it for about 6 months but I love how clean and to the point it is. I find my name and find out what my duties are for that day. I travel a lot so its really nice to be able to look at a week and see where in the country I may be. It allows me to start planning my travel and some sightseeing with plenty of time to spare so that once the time comes, I just get on a plane and go to work!

Minpunten: There's no Android app. That's a big turn off but I manage. I'd really appreciate this functionality in the future. I'm not sure if its just me but when I log in on my computer, each area takes up the whole screen. its quite strange. I have to scroll to the next person even though they should be smaller boxes. on my phone they are almost too squished to read and I haven't found a way manually size the boxes.

Key resource management tool

Beoordeeld op 19-8-2019
Hannelie V.
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Very easy to use, great dashboards and continuous enhancements to the product.

Pluspunten: Easy to navigate and setup.
Integration with Outlook.
Out of office functionality.
Administration module to access invoices etc.
Team setups

Minpunten: More fluent way of connecting to JIRA.
Financial management and time tracking would be great.