Contentful is useful and wonderful

Beoordeeld op 12-12-2018
Brandon Z.
Java Software Developer
Vertalingen en lokalisatie, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I'd like to recommand contentful as it is easy to use, and easy to config store data for develop a project.

Pluspunten: stable, friendly configuration, data structure is clear, and have api auto configuration

Minpunten: navigation is a little bit tricky, like when duplicate an entity, it lost the original entity's position, so have to go back and track the entity again

Contentful is an agile 'CMS' and overall easy to work with

Beoordeeld op 13-6-2019
Benjamin M.
Web Developer and Designer
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I can create a small site without bothering with a traditional CMS and allow the client to access important text copy and the same content could be repurposed for another platform, which is good to know for the future.

Pluspunten: I should clarify that I am speaking from the perspective of a developer so I can't vouch for the experiences of a content contributor. As a developer, I really appreciate being pointed in the right direction with their Gatsby starter kit and Netlify. This has been a great intro into the trend of static react based sites and I love it so far. I will try to stay focused on Contentful though. As someone very familiar with the traditional LAMP stack CMS world, I appreciate that they try to keep CMS best practices and dispense with the countless technical issues plaguing the old school approach. I have only used it for a small site though, but I am psyched to try it out with a larger project to really use it to its best potential.

Minpunten: I was going to say that it is totally painless, but there are some adaptation pains involved. If, like me, you just jump right in with a Gatsby Starter Kit, you may do some newbie things here and there. But I never really got stuck or blocked, and always learned when going back to improve something. Like I said, I haven't dug deep enough to have had a real issue. The worst negative could be that there are some cross sale situations where you may feel obliged to purchase a plugin to work with your content. I don't know if I can really fault a business on this though. Depending on your dev skills, you can always figure out a way to get your Contentful content to work without necessarily buying a shortcut from a third party.

A great CMS

Beoordeeld op 6-12-2019
Kevin C.
Business Operations
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 501-1.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Overall, Contenful is a great content management system that's easy to use, secure, and scalable.

Pluspunten: - Contentful is exceptionally easy to use for engineers and non-engineers alike.
- Contenful is a headless CMS, which comes with endless benefits.

Minpunten: Previewing content prior to publication is limited. It's also less flexible for the non-engineer than other Content Management Systems (though this is probably a good thing).

Taken a load off our team

Beoordeeld op 30-9-2019
Ash M.
Product Manager
Musea en instituten, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We switched to Contentful as a way of consolidating our CMS from three to one. Development is currently ongoing, but I am over the moon with how effective it has been for us to work with Contentful. We're planning a significant relaunch of our product later this year with all curated experiences powered by Contentful.

Pluspunten: The ability to flexibly model content according to what our output needs are, rather than being constrained by a pre-defined model. The ease of adding translations. The customer service we have received.

Minpunten: Only that the way that the pages are represented could be a little more visual when relating elements together. But it's a very minor thing.

Very inflexible when it comes to styling changes, use only if you have plenty of engineers

Beoordeeld op 1-4-2017
Chief Marketing Officer & Co-Founder UK
Financiële dienstverlening, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: It is impossible for users to create elements that are totally out of line with the corporate design. Contentful also loads faster than many other CMS.

Minpunten: There isn't much I like about Contentful. It is impossible to copy entire pages without a lot of effort, which makes it very time-consuming to create new pages. While you can re-use existing elements, the problem is that if you change them, they are changed everywhere, and there is no way to just copy an element in order to use it as a new element (i.e., changes you make to it don't affect the element you copied). As others have mentioned before, it sometimes takes a quarter of an hour for changes you made to appear on the preview pages, which is just painful (Wordpress is pretty much instant). But by far the biggest pain is that there is no way for the user to simply access the CSS. We have to go back to our engineering team for every little tweak we want, even if it is just the padding of an element or the alignment of a certain style of text. Another issue I have is that it is hard to figure out where on a new page you are while you are editing it. Unlike Wordpress, where you can see the overall structure of your page elements clearly on an overview page, you can only see the rows of the page on the overview in Contentful - you have no idea what the structure inside each row looks like until you click on it. That means you're getting disorientated quite quickly as to where you need to click to edit element X of the page. Overall, I find Contentful terrible to use. It has a few benefits, but at least from a content management user experience those don't outweigh the significant downsides at all.

The best option for a headless CMS

Beoordeeld op 3-4-2018
John M.
Technical Architect
Design en ontwerp, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: It is truly cloud-first for a headless approach. You can build your content model and control your input with easy validation (min/max/regex) and even dependencies on other models. It is truly headless and integration with node, react, asp.net, and php have all been relatively easy. Node was definitely the easiest integration.

Minpunten: I would have said migration between environments, but they recently released a solution for that. I haven't verified it but I'm excited about it. I think the other thing is dealing with deleted fields, it makes it a bit challenging that you have to remove it from view and then delete it to make sure it won't break the existing model. I also get frustrated when I make an existing field that is required and there is no notification that the content doesn't match the new criteria.

CMS Contender

Beoordeeld op 17-8-2019
Nick W.
Email Marketing Specialist
Marketing en reclame, 201-500 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Compared to other CMS platforms out there, this one isn't a bad option to have.

Pluspunten: If properly set up, it's easy to find and navigate sections and areas of your site you'd like to edit.

Minpunten: You can get lost if you don't know what you're doing.

So long, WordPress! Welcome to the future of nimble web development!

Beoordeeld op 18-9-2018
Andrew F.
Lead Designer
Design en ontwerp, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: The free developer plan is amazing, and overall Contentful has made my life SO MUCH BETTER. I no longer have to worry about updates, databases, or clients breaking their sites.

Pluspunten: The UI of Contentful is superb in its own right, but especially when compared to other similar CMS interfaces. Everything is laid out neatly, and it's easy to sort and edit your content. When paired with a static site generator like Gatsby, Contentful is WAY more safe, dependable, and low-maintenance than WordPress (which I'm sad to say, after being a WP dev for years, is a complete mess).

Minpunten: Modeling content can be tricky at first, especially since you can't have differing fields within a content type. But once you understand the general concept of "referencing," it becomes quite easy and even enjoyable to structure nested and/or complex data.

Good for scalability, advanced validation would be a great next feature.

Beoordeeld op 16-10-2019
Andy B.
Chief Technology Officer
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Easily got content libraries up and running, good API for pulling content into other platforms. Customisation doesn't feel the easiest and advanced validation would be good to be built in. We have been able to scale as we add additional partners easily.

Pluspunten: Easy API Integration, good search and filter with customisable columns, comments from other users, different content models rollback and version ability.

Minpunten: Custom Validation didn't allow us to cross compare fields, different user levels is only available on higher plans.

Make new pages for your custom front end, without being a developer

Beoordeeld op 29-7-2019
Ben B.
Management non-profit organisaties, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Content makes me feel like a web developer without knowing how to code.

Pluspunten: First, let me say I am not a web developer. With that said, Contentful makes me feel like one, as it allows me to create new pages for my company website easily, without infringing our standardized UI and UX. The biggest benefit of Contentful for my team is that it has allowed our web developer to focus on larger initiatives, while handing the power to create high-quality, visually-appealing web pages. He created the parameters, effects, buttons, etc inside Contentful, and now it's a sandbox my team can use to create new pages without bugging him. This saves a tremendous amount of time, and multiplies our effectiveness as a team. If we need a new landing page for an event, we can do that all on our own.

Minpunten: The only negative I can think about with Contentful is the learning curve for the team. Because it is a sandbox type environment, it may take a few meetings for everyone to get on the same page with what can and cannot be done. That said, it makes our lives so much easier now that we have it.

CMS solution that lets you publish content simply and easily

Beoordeeld op 9-8-2018
Courtney H.
Content Producer
Verzekeringen, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Contentful is a content management system solution which has a great API focus and allows us to develop our own data relationships and data structure. It provides us complete flexibility within projects and gives us the capacity to distribute to different types of platforms with less hassle. The user interface is straightforward and really simplifies the process for our backend system.

Minpunten: When used in Firefox browser, there are some occasional glitches. However, it works perfectly well in Chrome and Safari, so it’s not really a big problem. When I contacted support, they reviewed and tested it but they said it might just be a plugin issue.

All about Contentful

Beoordeeld op 9-2-2019
Mohamd E.
Mohamed
Design en ontwerp, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I like to recommend you to use Contentful, because it is user friendly, and more professional in developing your projects.

Pluspunten: The user interface of Contentful is great in comparison to the other sites.
The user interface is easy to use.
It is very easy to locate content.
Best API capabilities.

Minpunten: I'm really satisfied with Contentful, but the interface can be improved to the best.

Great for developers, great for non-developers

Beoordeeld op 14-2-2018
Jj F.
Creative Designer
Design en ontwerp, 2-10 werknemers
Waar voor je geld

Pluspunten: I love the ability to completely customize the content types so that the editors are only able to edit exactly what you allow them to.

Minpunten: I would love more customizable paid plans. Since I use JAMStack static site generation I don't need a ton of API calls per month, however I would love to add users, locales and per-user permissions.

Takes some time to get working with it

Beoordeeld op 24-2-2019
Head of Strategy & Strategic Planning
Internet, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We use Contentful to manage content on more than 10 websites in multiple languages.

Pluspunten: The layout is clean. It helps us managing content in many different languages in one place.

Minpunten: It took me quite some time to figure out how Contentful works with all kind of layers in translations, products, pages and attributes. Sometimes you lose track of where you are in all those layers. Another thing is that it sometimes takes a long time for updates to go through the publishing queue. Especially when more people are working on it at the same time.

Content Management done right.

Beoordeeld op 15-7-2014
Jan P.
Internet
Waar voor je geld

Opmerkingen: After deciding to integrate an offline experience to our mobile shopping app Cash to Code I started looking at syncing solutions for mobile. Shouldn't be too hard to find something, many apps have to have this problem - or so I thought. Well, not that easy as it turned out. What was out there at that time was unfinished, limited or just broken. By accident I found Contentful and their API focused CMS. Now some months later we are live in the app stores and I couldn't be happier how it all turned out. Yes, back then we couldn't just drop in a SDK an get all the sync functionality out of the box (I hear this is different now), but we just wrote it ourselves based on the great API documentation and the sync endpoint. We use the API to create our content on Contentful directly from our backend system, then it just gets synced to all the clients out there.

Pluspunten: API.
Sync endpoint.
People.

I've used Contentful to develop the project of a corporate website.

Beoordeeld op 4-7-2018
Directeur
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: A fast, rich and 100% reliable development experience.

Pluspunten: Contentful offers number of useful features and it's incredibly smart and simple to use.
I also appreciated the great discussion I had with one of Contentful main programmer on Github : it helped me to go way beyond my expectations for a CMS.

Minpunten: There could be one more step in pricing for small projects like the one I often deal with. I can't really find any reproach.

Contentful is so easy to use and integrate. I had my website up and running in no time!

Beoordeeld op 13-6-2018
Ketan M.
Design Consultant
Waar voor je geld

Pluspunten: The ease of use and functionality, paired with a great user interface. The fact you can create your own data structure and data relationships is so useful and enables complete flexibility within projects.

Minpunten: That it hasn't got anything that really annoys me :-) But, it could do with a better dashboard or something rather than the current "Space home" page.

Contentful localization is the bomb!

Beoordeeld op 15-9-2017
Keith M.
Software Engineer
Computersoftware, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Contentful makes it so easy to localize content and to have a fallback when a translation doesn't exist. We're using this extensively to globalize our content and it's fantastic.

Minpunten: It would be helpful if Contentful provided a means of accessing rendered pages through a proxy. We had to stand up a separate application for this functionality.

The perfect solution if you're looking for a flexibel CMS for your projects

Beoordeeld op 21-7-2015
Job W.
Technical Lead
Waar voor je geld

Opmerkingen: We choose Contentful for our project after comparing many other CMS solutions , whom all seemed to make the process more complicated rather than easier. Contentful on the other hand is a very flexible, straightforward and easy to implement backend system. It serves your data back in JSON which makes it perfect to connect any kind of frontend, without being limited by any predifined layout or formatting.
The CMS interface itself is also very easy to manage. You define your content-types, lay them out exactly how you want them, and, in our case, let the client do the rest.
All in all a perfect solution if you're looking for a flexibel and easy to use CMS system, and even more so when working with multiple platforms.

Contentful...

Beoordeeld op 12-10-2016
Jean-hugues B.
Computernetwerken, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: WYSIWYG interface is ok, but nothing crazy. Uploading images is a real pain and can only be done effectively (seo) by adding images one by one. How and when content appears when published is still a mystery to us. Technical limitations not mentioned, poor support.

Minpunten: Support says it all: "we only commit to offering community support in your current subscription plan". Even when you find-out your plan does not work. Check this post if you want to know more: http://bit.ly/2dWl5by

Content providing for the 21st century

Beoordeeld op 18-9-2019
Walter o. A.
Senior Chief IO
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: DAU proof of servicing content; GraphQL -> Gatsby & Contentful: just great to work with, maintenance a breeze; quick prototyping; webhooks!

Pluspunten: Ease of use; interconnectibility -> Netlify, Gatsby, GraphQL, etc.

Minpunten: Please re-think monetization for spaces. For small companies....

A greate headless CMS

Beoordeeld op 26-11-2019
Júlio S.
Developer
Computergames, 13-50 werknemers
Heeft de software gebruikt voor: Gratis proef
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We've tried Contentful as a alternative to our custom backends. We ended up going with an open source alternative that was enough for our needs.

Pluspunten: Contentful is a very easy to use solution for managing your content without having to develop a custom backend. It has many moderns features and a nice access control for your data

Minpunten: Compared to other solutions, it has a poor support for translations and the entry price is too high.

Easy to use and fills all our needs

Beoordeeld op 12-4-2019
Email Marketing Specialist
Computersoftware, 201-500 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Once you get the building blocks and templates in place then anyone can make a landing page.

Minpunten: I don't have any complaints, they have met all our needs.

Great as a mobile backend for our apps.

Beoordeeld op 25-3-2015
Christian S.

Opmerkingen: Pro:
+ great API capabilities
+ cool features for mobile network constrained app experience
+ fast
Con:
- Editor could be prettier
- App has sometimes glitches in Firefox (Chrome and Safari work fine)

Antwoord van de leverancier

van Contentful op 26-3-2015

The web app/UI is currently undergoing a big revision, so stay tuned for a great UX and task completion oriented edior.

We will review the Firefox issues. Though our testing so far has shown nothing. MIght also be a plugin issue.

CMS for all

Beoordeeld op 15-12-2019
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 5.001-10.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: For now I almost use Contentful for small and static projet and Contentful provide me the best solution i needed for it.

Pluspunten: Once your projet is set up, all is easy to use and allow user to contribute without IT knowledge. All contents provided are really good for all type of projet.

Minpunten: I advice to follow some tuto to discover all functionnality because you can get easily lost at the beginning (in term of project creation). Once all is set all become easy.