Among the best ecommerce solutions for growing businesses

Beoordeeld op 4-9-2019
Nathan K.
Marketing Manager
Sportartikelen, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We initially transitioned from Lightspeed eCom over to Bigcommerce because their platform offered greater scalability and entry-level features than what Lightspeed offered. Because we use Lightspeed POS, however, integrating product data between the systems was a challenge and a lengthy process. It also takes some effort to maintain the connection (via a third-party service using their API).

Pluspunten: Bigcommerce offers some of the most inclusive features in their entry-level product options, making them excellent for small businesses. Their level of customer support and transparency about service issues and new features in development are excellent and perhaps one of the main reasons why we've kept using Bigcommerce instead of switching to a platform that meets other essential features that we are still awaiting from Bigcommerce. The availability of third-party apps (including shipping and logistics integrations) has been great to work with so far.

Minpunten: Storefront development is currently very lackluster and it can be difficult to get a truly customized website without hiring a developer or investing in web development skills of your own. This is also true of their e-mail features. If you don't have more than a basic understanding of HTML, it will be next to impossible to customize their system e-mails without a third-party solution. Also, while their entry-level features are among the most plentiful in the industry, a few features (such as Google Reviews integrations and Abandoned Cart Recovery) are reserved only for higher-tier plans, which doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as their costs to support these features should be minimal.

Love it!

Beoordeeld op 22-8-2019
Jennifer H.
Front-end Developer
Gezondheid, wellness en fitness, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: We've been using Bigcommerce (or BC, for short) for about 4 years now, and we love it. It makes ecommerce easy and efficient.

Minpunten: There are some instances where the lack of control or access to the server has caused us to change some of our plans, but it's nothing I would call a dealbreaker.

Very good and reasonably priced

Beoordeeld op 5-9-2019
Amir B.
Company Director
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Very good site builder and systems. I woudln't go back to hosting our own site as you can get everything you want for a better price and with great support.

Pluspunten: Bigcommerce is a very good alternative to building your website, in fact probably better. It has a lot of features and different pricing bands which compared to other systems are a lot more fairer. Can integrate with a lot of multi-channel providers or integrate services into as well as specifically designed apps for you website.

Minpunten: Can be hard to change the template yourself to make it different other than purchasing different templates.

Big Commerce Review

Beoordeeld op 6-8-2018
Rob S.
Openbare veiligheid, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We realized we needed a larger, more stable platform for our 110,000+ customers and Big C was a perfect fit for our company.

Pluspunten: The Big Commerce platform is very easy to use and set up for your website. Very simple to set up shipping values and even payment systems. There is an app store within the back end that is FULL of additions you can add to your store. We use about 9 apps that range from SEO to live visitors on the website and analytics of where they are from and what pages / products they are looking at. I highly recommend Big Commerce mostly because of the ease of use and the 24/7 customer phone support you receive. Anytime I have had an issue or couldn't figure something out, I called them and they answered the question normally within 5 minutes.

Minpunten: The only con I have is the price may be a little high compared to other ecommerce platforms, but you get what you pay for and this is the best platform with ZERO down time and best support we have ever had in operating our business for the past 12 years.

Wish I Had Switched Earlier

Beoordeeld op 29-3-2019
Peter E.
Chief Technologist
Gezondheid, wellness en fitness, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: My Previous ECommerce Provider did NOT make the transition to SSL smoothly and caused me to lose numerous customers. Also their periodic billing at first worked, then failed and they were unable to fix it. Big Commerce is on top of it. They come out with new features. Up time is good. Questions and problems are dealt with speedily and with correctness.

Pluspunten: Ease of Use and Straight Forward. It works well.

Minpunten: I had GREAT difficultly replacing my billing credit card. My previous credit card had been compromised. I needed to replace it. My undergrad degree is in Electrical Engineering! It took me 1 hour and a call to Customer Service to replace my card number to bill me. There should also be a BACK UP credit card, in case the old credit card fails. But there is none. Sometimes my customers call me because they canNOT understand the check out OR their computer may have a virus that does not allow them to check out. Amazon does NOT have this problem. If Big Commerce can make a check out that is equal to Amazon's, I and my customers would be happier.

It's okay.

Beoordeeld op 7-1-2019
Bianca l. P.
Co-founder & CEO
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: We moved from Shopify to Bigcommerce because Shopify lacked features that Bigcommerce had out of the box such as proper product categories, saved payments, one-page checkout among others. These features have worked well and our conversion rates went from 3% to over 10%. Bigcommerce is great for more complicated product catalogs with lots of categories and skus whereas Shopify is great for simple catalogs.

Minpunten: Bigcommerce continues to build out new features rather than fixing problems with current ones. Every week I hear about a new payment processor or some random feature that's built half-baked. I've been very, very frustrated at the lack of thought behind many features and their inability to fix simple problems. Their API's are a mess, with some of the API's passing all the data you need, and other's missing important data needed - so we're creating functions to call information that should be (and easily can be) included in the objects returned by the API. There is NO mobile application, even to check simple things like orders, which is the most ridiculous thing given we're in 2019.

An excellent hosting e-commerce platform with almost all enterprise features

Beoordeeld op 13-2-2019
Chief Operations Officer
Computersoftware, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We have migrated our Magento 1 site to BigCommerce after ongoing frustration with Magento 2.3 extension quality and caching issues. We've achieved a lot in a 2 week period and launched in a month.

Pluspunten: The stability of it is great. The admin UI is very easy to use and intuitive. It has advanced pricing controls and other B2B features. The templates are great and we really saved a lot of time with a customization. If you have strong e-commerce skills in house, I honestly believe you can be live in a month or two. We found ourselves solving lots of problems that we'd normally require a developer for. It's very robust if you can stay on its rails. There are a lot of plug-ins, although some are expensive with monthly subscriptions.

Minpunten: The standard shipping features are very lacking and basic, and the solution is to use a plug-in. Although a free account with the plug-in is provided, it's inadequate and a subscription ended up costing us hundreds of dollars a month. The shipping system is even inadequate for basic stores. It's also lacking some functionality like product priority within categories, and limits faceted filters to 12 which required us to re-jig a bit of stuff and remove some filters. So the merchandising can be limiting at times. We could also do with native support for SVG images, and a static block CMS. Support is slow and you can be waiting 2 days for a reply. So although it is easy to use, if you do hit a wall, you need to wait a while for support. However, even with these caveats, we still found it to be a better solution to what we were using.

BigCommerce Support can't be beat

Beoordeeld op 26-3-2019
Public relations en communicatie, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: BigCommerce support and the platform has been easy to use and I would recommend this over some of the other sites that my client use.

Pluspunten: I have built several eCommerce stores on BigCommerce for my clients and I continue to be impressed with the support that BigCommerce provides. In this day when you very rarely get to talk to a human, it is greatly appreciated. I build sites that the product requires a lot of custom options and the staff is always coming up with ways to help me figure out the best way to build these options.

Minpunten: There is little not to like. With the new Stencil themes it is not as easy to edit templates for someone like me who is not a developer.

Easy to make basic sites, difficult to do more

Beoordeeld op 18-11-2018
Chad W.
Front-End Developer
Internet, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: It does the basics well, but there are plenty of e-commerce platforms out there that outperform BigCommerce. In my experience Shopify is better than BigCommerce is every way. I even prefer WordPress with WooCommerce to this.

Pluspunten: BigCommerce does make it easy to list and sell products online. The product manager is pretty comprehensive, and most of the pages are made for you - including the home page. It includes several SEO features out of the box, which encourages users to make higher quality listings that will sell easier. There are many custom themes for Bigcommerce, and most of them look great. The interface has gotten a much needed facelift in the past few years.

Minpunten: If you're trying to do more than the basics, Bigcommerce (BC) is difficult to work with. App extensions are present, but nowhere close to the breadth and depth of functionality available to WordPress. They do have a theme editor, but it requires tricky setup and command-line actions to update. Compared to Shopify's theme editor which is all in-browser, the BC theme editor is lacking. Documentation is available, but I found myself scrounging around on forums for many basic features not listed in the docs. The in-browser theme editor is buggy and unreliable. For editing static pages, BC's WYSIWYG editor is meager and unnecessarily strict. The linter strips out perfectly valid code (like blank divs), and there's no way to include CSS on a page – meaning that any @media queries or breakpoints have to clutter up the main CSS file. There are very limited options editing your home page, and almost no options to edit your shop pages. And maybe it's just the theme we started using, but the pages load VERY slowly. It takes several seconds to asynchronously load the page content, so javascript running on a product page may not run for 3-4 seconds after the user lands! Not ideal The email editor is painful. We found ourselves designing in mailchimp and copy/pasting into BC when done. There's no way to send a test email either, do you have to complete an order each time you want to see that updated order email. I mentioned the interface is better, but it's still quite buggy.

A Poor Man's Shopify Plus---Easier to Use/Maintain than Magento But Lagging Behind Shopify

Beoordeeld op 28-10-2018
Ivan R.
Partner
Kleding en mode, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We moved from Magneto Go, to Magento CE, and then to Bigcommerce over the course of several years in business. Moving from Magento, Bigcommerce was an obvious and needed upgrade for us. Our store was more reliable, and significantly easier to manage day to day. A lot of things that had kept me up as a sysadmin were no longer an issue and we saw very little loss in functionality all things considered. We used Bigcommerce for roughly a year and a half, leaving the platform entirely in early 2018 for Shopify Plus. In terms of the software itself, I do not regret this transition at all. If you can afford Plus I would advise you to go for it. The product is more mature than it was even a year ago, and is now a clear industry leader over Bigcommerce, OpenCart, Magento etc.

Pluspunten: Cloud based, more-reliable-than-magento hosting, decent discount rules engine, compatible with most major "Shipping Manager" softwares like Shipstation etc No overly-restrictive terms of use, suitable platform for sellers of "high-risk" items. Better than Magneto in practice for 85% of small to medium businesses.

Minpunten: Poor optimization for speed, poor user-facing checkout experience, tepid app ecosystem, objectively inferior automation and reporting tools, admin UI is clunky, customization of themes is difficult and costly, new features/product launches are paywalled and often incomplete, didn't stop billing us when we canceled service to switch to Shopify, experienced a glitch which inexplicably hid paid orders... Out of the box Shopify does practically everything better while minimizing the potential for errors during setup, configuration, optimization, and daily use of your store. In almost every metric and use case Shopify dominates Bigcommerce. Bigcommerce is playing catchup, and it's obvious from the back end of the software their team is struggling to stay competitive. While we were on the platform some updates appeared to suffer from "Microsoft syndrome" in that they looked pretty but had minimal depth or practical utility (think 3D paint or the latest version of windows media player). Bigcommerce only comes out ahead in pricing, terms of service, and a few configuration edge cases (which can mostly be solved by Apps in Shopify.)

Small Commerce

Beoordeeld op 15-3-2019
CFO
Fabricage van elektrische/elektronische producten, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: BigCommerce has allowed us to have an online store, but the manual processes related to it make the cost of having the site higher than expected. Simple things like a minimum order have to be coded in. If you are a midsize company, you might want to consider another platform.

Pluspunten: Ability to have an online presence cheaply and easily.

Minpunten: Big Commerce doesn't allow for (and isn't even familiar with) level 3 processing for credit cards. The site also does not have a setting to establish the minimum amount of an order. Editing information about products is cumbersome; unless you are willing to export the entire contents of the site and feel comfortable importing it without problems.

Great for getting started.

Beoordeeld op 12-12-2018
Director Web Technology
Marketing en reclame, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I have used BigCommerce personally for many years and have never been offline or had any technical issues. I have also set up stores for clients and was happy to see that they could learn to use the system with minimal training.

Pluspunten: Launching a new store on BigCommerce couldn't be easier. They have an onramp that is very smooth. They also have excellent integrations with third-party software like MailChimp.

Minpunten: BigCommerce email hosting is just OK, and really not well supported. They actually recommend hosting email elsewhere.

Love the shopping cart

Beoordeeld op 9-10-2018
Marcella S.
Detailhandel, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I like the ease of use and the 24/7 customer service.

Minpunten: I think it is expensive for what you get. Also when I purchased it I was told that the tech team would understand that I needed assistance hooking up my affiliate panel to the system. They had no idea what I was talking about and I had to figure it out myself, which meant I paid for the system way before I could use it.

One of the Best CRM Options for Small Businesses

Beoordeeld op 1-3-2018
Brian B.
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: BigCommerce may at first feel like a splurge with its price, but it backs quite a punch with all that the software can offer. It offers some of the best web integrations that I have seen, and makes it incredibly seamless to create a website and manage orders, shipments, and customer profiles and communication. It's well-worth the sticker price! Customer service is also top-notch and quick to answer questions or problems.

Minpunten: The price is higher than a lot of comparable software systems, which can be a drawback, but it is worth building the price into the system.

They cover up a lot of their functionality by offering 3rd party apps

Beoordeeld op 15-3-2019
Justin L.
Vice President
Marketing en reclame, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: We're stuck in their system pretty deep

Pluspunten: The shopping cart works and the inventory and checkout process are generally useable

Minpunten: Improving sitespeed and optimizing are out of your hands and basically impossible, even at enterprise level

Easy to Use - but Costly and Limited

Beoordeeld op 29-10-2018
Independent Contract Attorney at Epiq Legal
Juridische dienstverlening, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: It isn't self hosted and there's a lot of associated costs. This is good and bad: you aren't entirely on your own but you'll pay for that. If you're willing to accept the costs and limitations, you can really lean into the things Big Commerce does well.

Pluspunten: Big Commerce makes it very easy to get an online shopping platform up and running. It's very quick and the platform will make it easy to handle shopping carts, merchant providers, taxes, shipping - you name it. It's a turnkey solution and it does that very well.

Minpunten: You're completely limited with Big Commerce - this isn't a self hosted solution, so you're paying for everything. And everything is an extra - shop themes to redesign your user experience, revenue tracking, it really feels like the entire experience is designed to funnel you toward paying more money. To be fair, there aren't really "hidden costs" here - but the finer points of managing your shop are behind additional paywalls.

A+ ecommerce platform for your business

Beoordeeld op 18-10-2018
Co-Owner
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I love everything about BigCommerce! After migrating from another ecommerce platform, we were stunned by the level of control we have over our site. Our previous provider did not allow its users to access the robots.txt file and wouldn't allow us fix our amp pages but BigCommerce gives you full control of those features.

Minpunten: I wish I could arrange the links on the admin page because I find it's hard to find what I'm looking for while using the drop-down menus.

Amazing E commerce software

Beoordeeld op 17-10-2018
Janak C.
E commerce Manager
Fabricage van elektrische/elektronische producten, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Overall i can say its excellent for big and middle size business as we can add thousands of products easily.

Pluspunten: Backend of bigcommerce is very user friendly and easy to understand

Minpunten: i dont think i dislike anything about bigcommerce

Great for sub retailers

Beoordeeld op 12-3-2019
Team Leader, Research & Marketing Campaign Sales
Papier- en bosbouwproducten, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I liked the price and overall template model, it lent well to my retail business

Minpunten: I used this 6 years ago, so I’m sure the product has improved but at the time it was a very chunky user experience

Must have!

Beoordeeld op 28-9-2018
Brittany W.
Reception and Administration
Machine- en installatiebouw, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I use it multiple times a day and makes me job much easier and more productive.

Pluspunten: Easy, convenient, accurate and organized.

Minpunten: The settlement period for monetary modifictions is too long.

Chose another platform in the end

Beoordeeld op 14-12-2018
Jennifer J.
Detailhandel, 2-10 werknemers
Heeft de software gebruikt voor: Gratis proefversie
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Big Commerce has a strong technical stack and it seems to be able to host the websites and webstores and ecommerce solutions for some massive players. Great reporting and high level support for customization and as I understand it, it hosts for some very large retail/webstore companies.

Minpunten: However! For the money, it was not a good solution for my small company - and I wouldn't recommend it for small companies who do not have large funds to support programmers and high levels of customization.
I did not find the BigCommerce platform to be very intuitive or easy to use and in the end I found that to really get what I needed out of the software I would have to hire a programmer - which I do not have the resources to do. After giving Bigcommerce a month trial, we went with a "better value for your money" and easier to use software platform.

Big Commerce - Lots of Features

Beoordeeld op 18-9-2018
Kevin K.
Web Marketing Specialist
Telecommunicatie, 201-500 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Overall a good system to sell online. If it fits your budget, it's a solid choice.

Pluspunten: Very customizable. Can add lost of detail, photos, etc. Can use as main website rather than just a plugin. Simplifies the site build.

Minpunten: Adding products with swatches and other rules is kind of tedious.

Great software

Beoordeeld op 8-1-2019
Owner / Operator
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I like the ease of use and the compatibility with other 3rd party software. Moving from an open source ecommerce platform that was self hosted, I also don't have to worry about version upgrades and monitoring the servers. This was a huge plus for me.

Minpunten: There are some functions, actually a lot, that were available in my previous ecommerce software that aren't available here (or an expensive app needs to be purchased). I also don't like that basically every app has a monthly fee, instead of just a one time fee like most open source ecommerce software.

Big Commerce lacks integration

Beoordeeld op 5-3-2019
Michael S.
Operations Manager
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: It was a solid program to start our retail website from, but it has not aged well compared to newer platforms that are now available. The price for the services provided by Big Commerce has gone up while the number and quality of those features has gone down.

Pluspunten: Simple platform that is easy to setup. Tons of options to choose form to get the look you want for your website.

Minpunten: Lack of new integrations that platforms like Shopify and the like now offer making it hard to add additional selling networks.

Solid web store platform for new and experienced users

Beoordeeld op 18-12-2018
Justin C.
IT Manager
Textiel, 51-200 werknemers

Pluspunten: - Short time to live on a new store
- Solid toolset for creating a store for nearly any product
- Tons of themes to get your store "just right"
- Advanced customization of themes and site styles
- Easy Customer and Order management
- An app marketplace to add functionality as you need it

Minpunten: Stores are better suited to "off the shelf" products with limited customization options