Gemiddelde scores

• In totaal
  • Klantenservice

Over CANVAS

Het meest bruikbare, aanpasbare en betrouwbare leerplatform (met 99,9% uptime) voor universiteiten en K-12-scholen.

Meer informatie over CANVAS

2.095 reviews worden weergegeven

Magali S.
(Bioscoop)films, 1.001-5.000 werknemers
  • Bron: GetApp
  • Beoordeeld op 6-3-2019

"Learn and teach comfortably with Canvas"

Opmerkingen: You can start using this platform for your academic purposes with confidence. In spite of all the above-mentioned disadvantages, generally, the platform works without any serious problem. I’m confident that students who prefer distant learning and the teachers who like online teaching will really appreciate Canvas LMS.

Pluspunten: The platform is very easy and flexible to navigate so, you can be sure that you’ll never be lost while searching for the material you need. Besides, you can add text, upload pictures and videos without difficulty. In addition to this if you know how to work with HTML code you can have the design you like. The next thing that I like about Canvas is that you can communicate with your teacher and fellow students easily. You can send an email to your teacher or start a chat with your classmates. Canvas is used by educational institutions for two purposes: either for creating courses that are taught exceptionally online or for blending the traditional way of teaching with online one. This platform is especially useful for students who always need to find all the material on their course online, including the textbooks, lectures, homework, individual works and of course, their grades and attendance. Canvas makes collaboration between teachers and students more effective and fruitful.

Minpunten: It is fascinating to know that the Canvas app is available on mobile devices. However, the app needs some improvements because some features are still not available there and notifications sometimes don’t pop up.
The platform successfully cooperates and works with third-party vendors. However, I should mention that some programs do not work well and obviously they need to get improvements.
And finally, there sometimes some glitches may occur but I wish the platform could work more smoothly.

• Bron: GetApp
  • Beoordeeld op 6-3-2019
  • Beoordeeld op 27-8-2019

"Finally, a student portal that makes you want to learn!"

Opmerkingen: Overall, I'm highly satisfied to have a student portal that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. The developers clearly did a lot of research and user testing into finding out what features students need, as it still astounds me how complete of an experience the app is. Just about the only major issue with it is that some instructors don't make the most out of its functionality, but that's not really an issue with Canvas itself.

Pluspunten: As a student who used to use Blackboard, I immediately saw Canvas' UI and overall look-and-feel as a huge upgrade. I like that it's based on modern UI design patterns, with features like the sidebar and the single flush column of content. It makes the web app inviting and fun to use for young students like me who are on their phone for most of the day. One relatively minor feature that I greatly appreciate is the in-app PDF previewer, which saves me from wasting time having to download the file or opening it in a new tab and cluttering my workspace. Just this feature alone was enough to show me that Canvas' developers really had the end-user in mind. One last big net positive I want to mention is the integration with the mobile app. It's great! Notifications show up on time and don't duplicate or perform other wonky stuff. Having a seamless experience between desktop and mobile goes a long towards making students like feel in control of their learning.

Minpunten: While there's a lot to like about the UI, I do have some minor grievances with it in a few places. The one thing that really stands out is how some blue links are clickable but don't actually do anything. For example, discussion threads have a clickable subtitle that shows which Lecture Section they're intended for. If it's for "All Sections", then clicking on it does absolutely nothing. I know this is a minor nitpick, but you would not believe how many times I've ended up accidentally clicking on that link intending to go the discussion board.

• Beoordeeld op 27-8-2019
EY Performance Improvement Intern
Financiële dienstverlening, 10.000+ werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 28-8-2019

"A Fantastic Platform for Team/Class Oriented Organization"

Opmerkingen: Canvas has been a great platform in my career as a student and as an employee. From being able to take quizzes directly on the platform, to getting involved in very thoughtful discussions, Canvas has been something that has facilitated my learning experiences, inside the classroom and in the office. The digitalization of coursework, readings, and writings, has made a positive impact on the environment, and also allows its users to take their work with them wherever they go- as everything is accessible via the mobile app, or through the website on their laptop. This has made the experience absolutely positive for me and those who I have studied and worked with over the years.

Pluspunten: Canvas is a software that I have been using for multiple years now, having used it originally in school, and now in college at Georgetown University while also making use of the software's organizational benefits as an Intern at EY. There are a few aspects of this program that stand out to me as being significantly beneficial. Firstly, Canvas, as a platform, is used for connecting users in an organization (class, work project, team, etc.) under one platform. The administrator (boss, professor, team leader) can then publish documents, quizzes, links, and other files so that its users can all view them, without the need for the administrator to send these files to each user individually. Perhaps the largest pro of a software like Canvas is that, on the same platform where files are published and shared with others, users can also engage in blog posts, discussions, Zoom conferences, and more features; all of which allow them to communicate with and learn from each other while also becoming familiar with any material posted by their boss, team leader, or professor. This synergy is what makes canvas special and unique; it is a one-stop-shop for individuals in an organization to parttake in multiple means of learning, all in the same location.

Minpunten: Despite being a phenomenal software platform, perhaps one of its downfalls is that, when using CANVAS in school or in college, the dashboard can get relatively messy. When enrolled in many different classes across different semesters, older classes tend to stay on your dashboard and this can make it difficult to keep your new classes a priority at first glance. While this is easy to edit in your Canvas settings, I personally believe this should be something that the user can edit from the homepage. In addition, it would be a large plus to the aspect of organization if users could customize the menu bar on the left side of the website, to only show the tabs they want to see for each class or project (files, modules, pages, discussions, announcements, grades, etc.)

• Beoordeeld op 28-8-2019
David Y.
Marketing Manager
Ziekenhuis- en gezondheidszorgbranche, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 21-11-2019

"Canvas is the clear winner"

Opmerkingen: My overall experience with CANVAS has been terrific. It's made me feel more confident as a student, and has saved me valuable time because I can always find exactly what I need for my weekly assignments thanks to its modern-style dashboard and advanced functionality. A true winner for all students, both young and old.

Pluspunten: As a returning student attaining an MBA through an online program at a state university, I spent the first several semesters suffering through Blackboard. Like CANVAS, Blackboard is a learning management system used by today's higher education institutions. However, I always found it to be difficult to navigate and challenging to use. Recently, my university switched to CANVAS. I was nervous at first because, while I was no fan of Blackboard, I feared CANVAS might be worse. Thankfully I was completely wrong. CANVAS features a clean dashboard where all of your courses, assignments, grades, discussion boards, and other online learning tools can easily be accessed. It's extremely user-friendly and I had become a skilled CANVAS user in under an hour. I used to dread accessing Blackboard, but now I welcome accessing CANVAS instead.

Minpunten: There is literally nothing to dislike about CANVAS. Even those new to online learning will find it simple to use and extremely flexible.

• Beoordeeld op 21-11-2019
Lecturer
  • Beoordeeld op 23-11-2019

"Canvas"

Opmerkingen: I have used Canvas as both a student and a teacher. I have used it to create courses and assignments, grading, submitting assignments, viewing grades, etc. It is a beneficial software for higher education because of all of the resources and tools available. It helps significantly with the organization of a class.

Pluspunten: Once you learn the software, it is easy to use. There are several tools that are beneficial to both students and teachers, such as Speed Grader, TurnItIn for plagiarism checking, inbox, collaborations, etc. I really like that it lines out the schedule for students (syllabus tab), provides a calendar that has the option to display days that assignments are due, a to-do list for each assignment, etc. Teachers have to put the assignments in, ahead of time, for this to be useful to students, but I've been told many times by students that it makes their lives easier by being able to see everything they have coming up. I also love the ARC video uploader. It allows teachers to see statistics on how many students watched the video and how long they actually watched it. It also gives students an option to leave a comment or question at an exact timestamp in the video.

Minpunten: There are some quirks to Canvas that sometimes require workarounds. An example of this is moderated grading. I have had it somehow get selected, but it does not tell you when it gets selected. Once one student submission has been graded, it will not allow you to turn off moderated grading. You have to go through the process of moderated grading before it will even show grades or comments to students. The inbox also sometimes hides my emails in the spam folder in my Outlook account. It does not do that constantly, but every now and then I will get an email from a student wondering why I haven't responded to an email. I usually find it in my spam folder.

• Beoordeeld op 23-11-2019
Sam S.
Associate Professor
Hoger onderwijs, 501-1.000 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 28-2-2020

"My favorite course management software"

Opmerkingen: Overall I'm happy with Canvas. My students use Moodle in most of their other classes, but I'm still holding out... I just think it's a superior product.

Pluspunten: My institution uses Moodle, which I have found to be extremely cumbersome. So a few years ago, I switched to the free-for-teachers version of Canvas, and have never looked back. My favorite specific feature of Canvas is the Speed-grader, which changed my life when I switched from Moodle. I also like the way the online quizzes work. More generally what I like about Canvas is the unified design. Where as open-source course management software feels like a hodgepodge of different options and designs Frankensteined together, Canvas feels like there is a design team actually thinking through the way it should look and operate. I appreciate the flexibility it gives me with regard to the layout of the home page, how I can control what the students see, etc. Also, over the six years that I have used Canvas, I've seen features get improved in response to user suggestions. Always a good thing.

Minpunten: Like all course management software, there are times when I feel that too much clicking is involved to accomplish basic tasks, or little things that should be possible are not. For example, when making rubrics for assignments, there is no way to shuffle the order of the categories. If you want to add a new line in the rubric between lines 2 and 3, you'd have to delete all the lines after 2 and start over from there. Little things like that, which aren't a huge deal, but sometimes do leave me scratching my head. Also I wish the question banks for quizzes were a little easier to manage.

• Beoordeeld op 28-2-2020
Prashant J.
Graduate Assistant
Schoolleiding, 11-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 26-9-2020

"Good offering but bad user interface"

Opmerkingen: Overall, the product is pretty easy to use and easy to onboard new users on the usage of the product as well. For certain features, a 'help' section would have been useful but there are ways to get around and learn how to use a functionality present in Canvas.

Pluspunten: Most useful feature is revisiting the previous courses and going through the material that was covered in those courses. Typically, in other similar software, this is disabled after a certain period of time but Canvas keeps this feature open. The product is definitely easy to use as apart from showing the current courses, it also displays the upcoming deadlines and announcements that comes in very handy as soon as a user logs into the system and navigates to the home screen

Minpunten: The worst thing about this product in a lack of search functionality. Manually going through the complete list of options/courses/documents or whatever is present in the Canvas to find one required element is time-intensive process. A search feature would have been really useful in quickly searching what we are looking for.

• Beoordeeld op 26-9-2020
Associate Director, Graduate Career Management
  • Beoordeeld op 11-10-2020

"Easy to use...only if you know what you're doing"

Opmerkingen: The best thing a new Canvas user could do would be to attend training FIRST. Do NOT just jump in like I did and assume that because you're tech savvy you'll figure it out quickly. It took me weeks and weeks when I first started using it to build my class. Lots of trial and error and calling the IT department. I should have just saved myself some time and gone to training! But I didn't have the time so I winged it. Ugh. On the whole though, once you learn how to use it, it's not bad at all. And it gets easier with time. And again, it's 10x better than Moodle! Also, there is a Canvas "Commons" where you can look at other Canvas courses that other instructors have put together so you can get an idea of techniques you might use. But, you still might need to do a training session with IT to figure out how to replicate the cool graphics that others are using! Again, it's not intuitive, and there is not a lot of online help available. But on the whole, Canvas is the best thing out there right now.

Pluspunten: I've been using Canvas as an instructor at a university for the past 7+ years. The best thing about Canvas is that it's better organized than Moodle, which I've also used. I encountered Canvas when I came to work at my university. Before I started my job I was only familiar with Moodle, which I thought was an awful ed-tech application. I found Canvas to have a better interface, and was easier to navigate as a user. As an instructor, there are all kinds of features that you can use to set up a class, foster engagement, track student progress and assess completion of assignments. You can set up discussions, assign students to groups and even enable them to meet virtually. Canvas also works well for asynchronous learning in that you can create a course that is self-paced and students can step through each assignment on their own time.

Minpunten: The biggest challenge with Canvas is that it's not easy to use, unless you've been trained and know what you're doing. I had to learn Canvas completely on my own and it was a bit of a nightmare, even for someone like me who is very comfortable with technology. It's not entirely intuitive, especially when you're building a course from scratch. It's basically a website and you have to learn how to link pages, websites, documents, etc. You don't need to know how to code or use HTML, but it's still very painstaking to set up a class, even if you copy a previous class from year to year and just need to update it. The grading feature was also "updated" and it's more annoying now and less easy to use. The one big drawback though is the interface in that it's not all that graphical. You have to learn work arounds to make the interface more appealing to students. It's still better than Moodle! But still, it would be great if they could make it more like a real graphical website and less like a Word document on a website.

• Beoordeeld op 11-10-2020
Pablo R.
Director of Learning Experience
E-learning, 11-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 29-10-2020

"Build for teachers"

Opmerkingen: Canvas is, by their own admission, a feature-poor software with lots of customizable and additional opportunities to expand it.
That is true. You need to learn how to use it, play nice with it, and it will play nice with you and with many other integratable softwares.
Adapt to its quirks and you will be happy with it.

Pluspunten: 1) Easy to use as a teacher. Once you get the schema of how the software works and accept its ways and limitations, then you can really use it to your advantage within that framework.
2) Integration with other softwares. Canvas integrates with many other LTI providers, but everyone is slightly different, so you need to be willing to pay the price to learn how to integrate things carefully.
3) Speedgrader is nice. I've seen better ones in other LMSs, but Canvas Spreedgrader is pretty good.
4) Training and support. You can find, if you search carefully, tons of training resources for Canvas.

Minpunten: 1) It's easy to create things that clutter your course, system almost without knowing.
2) The assessment engine is quite limited. The new quiz engine is still too buggy to use and has been way overdue.
3) I hate that there is not an autosave feature, specially when building quizzes. More than once, I accidentally save the quiz without saving the individual question and loose a ton of work.
4) It's almost impossible to find your grades across multiple courses. You have to go to each course individually and click several places at that.

• Beoordeeld op 29-10-2020
Michael C.
Administrative Assistant
  • Beoordeeld op 28-12-2020

"One of the Better Learning Management Systems on the Market"

Opmerkingen: When I heard that my work was switching from our old custom-built learning platform to Canvas, I was excited. Having already used Canvas as a student, I knew that we would be switching to a much better quality experience. Canvas is overall easy to deploy and use. Though for the leading learning management system on the market, you would wish some of its rougher edges, such as navigation, would be ironed out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to most as a quality learning management system.

Pluspunten: It is easy to see why Canvas is one of the most well-known and well-used learning management systems by schools and colleges across America. Its simple customizable interface, mobile app, and many integrations are definitely a step up from moodle, blackboard, and other more common systems of a generation ago. I have used it both as a student and as a teacher. I appreciate its robust features (discussion boards, file integration, quizzes, announcements, custom pages, assignment options, html design). Classes are usually organized via pages and the "modules" page which allows the building of a customized course flow. If there is something you want to be able to post to your class website Canvas probably makes it possible, and most features have many options. Your online assignment settings can be highly customized with settings such as when the assignment in visible, what kind of submissions and documents are accepted, and what category of grade the assignment is. Likewise the online quiz/test maker is fairly robust, allowing for most question types, has some auto-grading capabilities, and offers taker-friendly features like question flagging, test timer, and unfinished question reminders. Perhaps one of its best features is its plug-ins. Canvas works with other popular providers to integrate their products into Canvas. Our school uses the very well-designed Zoom plug-in for scheduling and posting recordings for our virtual classes as well as others including WebEx and Kaltura.

Minpunten: While Canvas is an excellent learning management system it is far from perfect and there is still definite room for improvement. The main feature I have found frustrating is its navigation. There is no universal back button which means that rather than easily going back to a previous page you have to use a combination of your web browser back button and the course menu. Each course has a helpful customizable sidebar with major navigation links, but this is not "sticky" and so you may need to be scroll to find it on longer pages. While the online quizzes/tests are a step up for many platforms, like google forms, but not as robust as such an important feature could be. Matching questions have no easy way to tracked used answers, which can make questions with many options harder to track. Adding alternative answers for fill-in-the-blank questions can be cumbersome. Not all plug-ins are of equal quality either, but this is probably at least partly the responsibility of the developer. The mobile app works well in general but occasionally I have seen issues such as auto-rotating video screens or issues with certain quiz questions.

• Beoordeeld op 28-12-2020
Jan K.
Media Artist
E-learning, 51-200 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 30-12-2020

"Great for E-Learning/Teaching"

Opmerkingen: I spend a lot of time at the beginning of the term, setting up assignments and modules with due dates. Once that is done, Canvas takes over, notifying students when things are due. Sometimes I forget to make the assignments public and students will tell me that I haven’t published a particular assignment. I think it just takes some time to get used to all the quirks of the program, but once that is figured out, it makes daily organization so much easier. I also found that students were able to use Google Docs so that I could comment on papers as I was grading them. I can use Canvas on my iPad, but it’s not as easy as the computer. When I am doing serious course planning, I have to use the computer.

Pluspunten: On my class homepage, I choose an image that visually identifies what the course is about. It personalizes my course and makes it easy to find (I usually have 3 to 4 classes per term). Canvas helps me organize my classes with the “module” tab that connects with the assignments and other pages I create for students to use —all into one place. I can easily add links to YouTube or Vimeo; upload photos; link to sources such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art Timeline. Hyperlinking is easy. I have used peer review and discussion boards for student interaction. The assignment box allows me to make an assignment available well before it’s due, and also choose a date to close the assignment. A rubric can be created that makes grading faster. I used the quiz template this year for both midterm and finals and that worked really well. I had a student who was 4 time zones away, and Canvas has the ability to allow me to open that one assignment longer, which was a way for that student to take the exam at 8am instead of 4am.

Minpunten: I haven’t figured out an easy way to use the peer review so that I can grade the student who is writing the peer review, as it appears on the page of the student being reviewed. I end up opening canvas in several windows, and it gets confusing with big classes. I eventually just gave a checkmark that the review was done, and didn’t worry so much about what the student wrote. Another issue that I’ve worked around is that students don’t do assignments on time if they rely on the due date to appear on their own Canvas page. I now title the assignment with the date so that students can see ahead of time when something is due.

• Beoordeeld op 30-12-2020
Kudzai K.
LMS Administrator
E-learning, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 17-3-2021

"CANVAS - Easy e-learning Setup"

Opmerkingen: It is easy and quick to set up even for no technical people. It is a reasonable cost depending on usage.

Pluspunten: The first thing I noted about Canvas is that when creating content, the page looks like an MS Word document. This makes creating pages with content easy as the learning curse is very gentle. There is very little need to be technical. It is more a matter of formatting rather than getting to know the software platform itself. The dashboard is clean and modern with easy navigation on the left sidebar for courses, account information, calendar, inbox and help. Your default home is your published and unpublished courses. On the courses tabs, are announcement and conversation icons that notify if a course has issues you need to attend to in a specific course. The settings menu is straightforward with nothing cryptic even for non-technical people. Setting up courses is a breeze with a 'Course Setup Checklist' button available inside each course shell you create. There is a walkthrough for each element of a course from content to publishing your course. If you have an existing course you can simply import the course with several formats supported including but not limited to Blackboard, Moodle and zip. For educators at various institutions, they can just import and customize where the need arises for the different institutions. Assessment types include quizzes and assignments. It also integrates easily with other services like Google Drive, Office/Docs and others.

Minpunten: Video elements management needs improvement, the thumbnails are poor quality and very small. There is no option to edit them. To get a good visual of Office elements needs embedding the content hosted somewhere else. Natively on the platform PDF and PPT display poorly with just vertical scrolling. Exporting An exported courses from Canvas is in a custom format that is not compatible with other LMS platforms. This makes it hard to move between platforms. There not much customization of learning elements compared to other LMS available. Some of the support documentation is dated and needs updating.

Louisa C.
Marketing en reclame, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 17-3-2021

"Canvas in three words: reliable, convenient, and innovative."

Opmerkingen: My overall experience with Canvas has been incredible. From my days using the platform at my large public high school to my current use of Canvas at the University of Pennsylvania, I have found it to be extremely instrumental in fostering my learning. The landing page for each of my courses presents the necessary information, such as grades or quizzes, in a way that is consistent across the platform, yet also enables professors to customize what different links to information appear in order to allow them to design a page which best fits the scope of their course and its associated assignments. I have loved using Canvas, and look forward to doing so throughout the rest of my college career!

Pluspunten: I first used Canvas long before I ever even entered college as a high school student. However, throughout the years the platform has always remained extremely easy to use and provided me stable and secure access to my course content. With the advent of online learning brought on by the pandemic, I began to use Canvas even more this past year as a current junior in college. Reflecting on my increased use of the platform over the past year, I can appreciate how Canvas has remained not only reliable and convenient to use, but also innovative in that they have continued rolling out updates which make the platform even better, such a the "like" feature which enables students to engage more with their classmates' responses on discussion posts.

Minpunten: The one feature which could be improved on Canvas would be more clear instructions on how to update your profile photo! One of my professors requested that we change our profile photos to a picture of ourselves last week, and while I was eventually able to do so successfully, it took me a little but to figure out where to take this action.

Lorraine K.
ELearning Designer, Owner
E-learning, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 3-5-2021

"Canvas - Secure E-Learning Platform for All"

Opmerkingen: Positive. The Canvas guides, videos, Community and help desk are really fabulous. Being able to access the answer to development questions 24/7 is a game changer for motivated learners. For personalization and differentiation Canvas supports mastery paths which when built carefully give this platform an innovative edge for teachers. Canvas continues to improve their product with every update. Canvas is aware of industry trends and learners needs and makes sure their platform exceeds expectations.

Pluspunten: When Canvas became our LMS for e-learning I was delighted. Having a secure, self-contained platform was a game-changer for teachers and students. Using SSO (single sign on) enabled users to access their classes easily and without fail. The course customization and integration with other tools (OneNote, Google, Flipgrid, Formative, etc.) made advanced users look like wizards of course design. The calendar feature which allows students to track and plan for assignments empowers learners. Canvas was ahead of the curve when it comes to individual feedback. Their voice or video comment feature has been personalizing the virtual classroom for years. Canvas is great for Professional Develpment especially with the discussion feature. Learners can respond to and interact with one another asynchronously and this authentic interaction benefits students and teachers alike.

Minpunten: There were times when the customization features were not enough in Canvas. The platform itself is not visually appealing at first. The user has to carefully desing the course, beginning with the end in mind, to make it visually appearing and navigable for the learner. Additionally, it may just have been our district instance but the integration with PowerSchool gradebook was both a plus and a minus. Teachers loved that interaction as it saved so much time grading. When that interaction had glitches it was a nightmare and sometimes difficult to solve or to find the root cause. This was often the fault of browser updates or software bugs, not Canvas.

Ryan E.
Assistant Professor of Instruction
  • Beoordeeld op 11-5-2021

"Best of the bunch (but still not stellar)"

Opmerkingen: I've been a full-time professor for six years now, and before that I was a full-time graduate student for three, and an adjunct instructor for another six, not to mention the time I spent as an undergraduate myself, when LMS software was becoming ubiquitous. This means that I've used virtually every LMS package out there as either an instructor or a student (or both), and despite its bugaboos and flaws, Canvas continues to outpace the others in terms of usability, innovation, and overall quality.

Pluspunten: I've used the Canvas learning management system (LMS) as both a student and an instructor for years now, and I can say with a high level of confidence that it is, by far, the best LMS available today. It strikes a good balance between available features and ease of use, meaning instructors have a reasonably high level of customization at their fingertips at the course level, but students won't be confused or overwhelmed since every Canvas course retains certain similarities that can't be altered (e.g., navigation). There also appears to be a great deal of control that can be exerted by administrators in terms of locking down (or opening up) features, so it can be tweaked accordingly for any given institution. There are a LOT of features available to instructors in Canvas, and those can be expanded indefinitely by adding third-party integrations.

Minpunten: There are a range of frustrating quirks, missing features that require hack-y workarounds, confusing user interface issues, and inexplicable limitations that regular users will run into with routine use. For example, if you create an assignment and enable peer reviews of that assignment, it is difficult for students to figure out how to access the documents they are supposed to evaluate. Once they do find them, the embedded document editor is buggy and limited, and occasionally fails to save student edits. On top of all of this, if peer reviews are set to "anonymous," the embedded editor is disabled entirely--not just for students, but for the instructor as well, making it impossible to make inline comments or suggestions. Even more frustrating is the Canvas/Instructure support website, with its arcane, verbose design and overreliance on "community" message boards instead of dedicated agents to solve problems.

• Beoordeeld op 11-5-2021
Jeremy S.
Design Studio Program Manager

"Improving Quickly"

Opmerkingen: It has been good, and I would highly recommend it over the previous system we used. I like most of the newer features and believe it will continue to get better over time.

Pluspunten: They have been improving this software quickly over the last several years I have been using it.

Minpunten: There are still some things that don't seem to work well with the user interface, especially if you really push the system with a lot of options or parts.

Eddie L.
E-learning, 2-10 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 4-6-2021

"Most robust and innovative LMS on the market, the global standard"

Opmerkingen: Exceptional, I used Canvas as an instructor and have built integrations into Canvas as a software developer. Canvas has a great dedication to customer service that is less common these days.

Pluspunten: Very thoughtful about implementing features instructors use on a daily basis; one of the best and most thorough 3rd party integration APIs and ecosystem on the market. An industry standard so you can get help from a lot of places with a large, robust community of users.

Minpunten: Requires fairly technical staff to support Canvas for schools and faculty. That's why it's less common to see it used in K-12.

• Beoordeeld op 4-6-2021
Christopher E.
Teacher
  • Beoordeeld op 26-5-2021

"Excellent Learning Management System"

Opmerkingen: I could not run my classroom without Canvas. It is the most powerful tool in my classroom toolbox.

Pluspunten: Canvas is an incredibly robust Learning Management System. It provides invaluable tools for educators such as quizzes, discussion boards, and excellent course management tools. The most useful for me is the quizzes. Quizzes can be auto-graded, have controlled access, allow multiple attempts and has a large array of question types for your students.

Minpunten: Canvas does have a bit of a learning curve. It can be a bit daunting for those just starting out. This makes the product slightly unapproachable but there are a lot of tutorials for the common features.

• Beoordeeld op 26-5-2021
Amanda B.
Teacher
Hoger onderwijs, 11-50 werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 1-10-2020

"CANVAS is amazing for teachers and students."

Opmerkingen: My overall experience with Canvas has been great. It is very easy to use and my students can easily use this software. I love it.

Pluspunten: CANVAS is very easy to navigate. All assignments and discussions are in one area. I don't have to go searching in multiple places looking for something. I can give an assignment and it just pops up on the main screen. I can make folders for each subject so things do not get mixed up. It is wonderful and easily used by my students. Parents love this program over the ones we have used in the past.

Minpunten: CANVAS is used by many schools, even before COVID. Some mornings the software doesn't want to load and can be glitchy. Some assignments will show not loaded but actually are, so I have to refresh multiple times.

• Beoordeeld op 1-10-2020
James A.
eLearning Developer
E-learning, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 22-1-2021

"My favorite academic LMS"

Pluspunten: There are so many great things about Canvas LMS. It's about fit of course, so I would never use it for corporate L&D... but as an academic LMS, it ranks at the top. I love the community forums (you can find help for literally anything), and the numerous tools that are 1) either provided by Canvas, or, 2) integrate nicely with Canvas. I also like the ease of use. It might seem overwhelming at first, but learning to build and administer courses on Canvas becomes easier by the day. So at first it may seem tough, but stick with it! It gets much easier - quickly!

Minpunten: In order to upgrade the look and feel of it, without hiring a team of graphic designers, you need to use design service that integrates with Canvas.

• Beoordeeld op 22-1-2021
Ho'omana nathan H.
Visiting Assistant Professor
Hoger onderwijs, 10.000+ werknemers
  • Beoordeeld op 7-4-2021

"The best LMS I've used so far (much better than Brightspace/D2L)"

Opmerkingen: Overall, Canvas is the best I've used so far (1000x better than buggy/feature-impoverished D2L). It's generally nice to work with, plays well with most other online resources (especially Google Drive which I use a ton for teaching), it's fairly easy to explain to students, and it makes it easy to transfer materials between courses each semester.

Pluspunten: One thing I love is that unlike Brightspace/D2L, Canvas has continued to develop and gain new features as long as I've used it. I also like how easy it is to transfer course materials from one course to another so that classes I teach each semester, or every other semester, can be easily copied over.

Minpunten: Some of the more advanced/useful features aren't always easy to use, and there isn't great documentation from Canvas. In fact, most of the documentation I've found has been from other university's websites.

• Beoordeeld op 7-4-2021
Dr. m y J.
Senior Lecturer
  • Beoordeeld op 6-2-2021

"Canvas for Online Learning, Teaching & Assessment: OK but..."

Opmerkingen: Best valuable features: Share to Common, Import/export content i.e., transport/transfer files from past year or another course. It saves time, not reinventing the wheel. Assignment Due date is very cruel to learner as 1 second late submission may cause a heavy penalty. Recently due to COVID-19 my learners in UK and International faced difficulties. I suggest to add a feature giving some window instead of a fix hh.mm.ss timestamp.

Pluspunten: Learning & Teaching: Various useful features, e.g., upload/download files, page creation, announcement and discussion and valuable apps containing ubiquitous tools, like MS Team meetings, Panopto, Vimeo, YouTube, Dropbox etc. Assessment: Huge variety of Quizzes, secured quizzes, quizzes SWOT statistics, lockdown browser, Assignments, anti-Plagiarism tools, Moderation, Marker Allocation, Grades, Research: Conferences, collaborations, Canvas digital forum support.

Minpunten: Assessment of students: sorting may not be sync'd with local university database. i.e., downloaded grades and university's marksheet contains names of students starting differently. Imaging if you have 300+ names! this causes sorting issues while assessing online. Quizzes are great but cannot create duplicate questions, some time academic need this feature. Also because quiz question can be an Essay therefore, this type of assessment must include anti-plagiarism tool (i.e., Turnitin etc), not available in Quizzes but only in Assignments. Reference Manager and Library tools are not available but can be added, e.g., Talis, StudyNet etc. These features are necessary for cognitive learning and cresting your own Library does help. I need to use either Endnotes or Mendeley as an external app on my desktop or on cloud. Its good to use integrated Email tool but its not linked to outlook or other email app. I cannot send email to other people outside my module, i.e., cannot do cc to manager, examiner etc but I need to permanently add in the list of people.
Also cannot add images etc in text but can attach files. Also cannot format the text but just plaintext is allowed. You cannot add http link to a text.

• Beoordeeld op 6-2-2021
Eduardo R.
Hoger onderwijs, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 6-7-2021

"CANVAS to Learn"

Opmerkingen: CANVAS is superior to blackboard, even though we could argument blackboard is more complete, it is "0" user friendly therefore as a student it is hard to get the best out of the software. Thanks to CANVAS´ simple approach it is very easy to navigate once you had 2 or 3 courses and you can easily find what you are looking for. I sincerely recommend CANVAS.

Pluspunten: Very user-friendly interface, easy to find what you are looking for with clear icons and titles being displayed.
For general areas such as courses, dashboard and calendar they are easy to use, and you can even add reminders to your calendar besides those posted by teachers.

Minpunten: Sometimes, once you are inside a class within the software it may vary drastically from teacher to teacher. The software allows for customization therefore it can cause confusion for students for there is not only 1 format to visualize the classes.

• Beoordeeld op 6-7-2021
Kyle Y.
(Bioscoop)films, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 18-10-2020

"College on the Web"

Opmerkingen: Canvas is an excellent learning tool for most colleges and universities. Not only does it allow for assignments to be turned in over the internet but it also allows students to take quizzes and attend lectures through ConferNow and Zoom. It will notify you through email for any work that is assigned, work that is due, etc. Although it can be a bit complicated to operate through compared to other programs such as Google Classroom, it has all the features you would need in order to run a class online especially during a pandemic.

Pluspunten: With the rise of Coronavirus and online options for college classes, Canvas has been a staple tool for students taking online classes and even with online assignments. Canvas, similar to Google Classroom, is a program that allows teachers to assign work through the web instead of wasting time printing and wasting paper. It allows students to be notified of when assignments are due and even allows them to take quizzes and test online. With most of the world being forced to do everything digitally Canvas allows access to Zoom through ConferNow which allows for teachers to schedule lectures and meetings. Canvas also allows you to message other students if needed. Without Canvas, school online would be incredibly difficult, and although Google Classroom is a solid option for courses in elementary school through high school, Canvas has more features such as users being able to directly embed LTIs such as Flipgrid.

Minpunten: Although Canvas is better than Google Classroom in terms of the number of features, Google Classroom's interface is simpler and easier to understand than Canvas's. Google Classroom, being a Google program, also makes it slightly easier to turn in assignments using Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc. Canvas's user system can also use some work as well. Canvas may have the ability to allow you to see other students but it's obscure. There's no way to search for other people unless they're in your class and most people don't even know of the profile feature. Personally, I don't believe there are many problems with Canvas except that they should redo its design because to me it seems a bit bland and that they should make its interface a bit more simpler since it can be confusing to navigate through.

• Beoordeeld op 18-10-2020
Kelly B.
Freelance Digital Design Expert
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, Zelfstandig ondernemer
  • Beoordeeld op 30-6-2020

"CANVAS makes higher education accessible anywhere you have an internet connection!"

Opmerkingen: CANVAS is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning. Personally, as an older student, I love using CANVAS.

Pluspunten: While I am unsure of the College's side in using this software, for me, as a student, I love using CANVAS. I enjoy travelling and with an easy-to-use, school-issued/provided LMS (Learning Management System/Software), I can take many classes online from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. The mobile application is robust and incredibly convenient, allowing 99% all-the-same functionality as the desktop version. Students can even take online quizzes and finals using their internet-connected mobile device (Smartphone). It is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning as an older (personally, 42 years) college student.

Minpunten: The only drawbacks to CANVAS I experienced were a loss of data if the active internet connection broke while in the middle of completing/submitting assignments and quizzes. I know that CANVAS has since implemented an auto-save feature on the quizzes, so that part of the problem is resolved. Whether or not this is true of the assignment submissions, I honestly do not know at this time.

• Beoordeeld op 30-6-2020