Essential accounting software for any growing business

Beoordeeld op 21-2-2018
David S.
Executive Creative Director
Waar voor je geld

Pluspunten: We've been using Freeagent for over 5 years. In that time frame my company has grown from being a sole-trader to an incorporated limited company with employees. To say that Freeagent has helped facilitate that growth would be an understatement. We now use Freeagent for our VAT submission (saving us £200pq accountants fees), Payroll (saving us £10pm per employee), Sending out client estimates/invoices, and what we originally bought it for... Book keeping and accounting. We have Freeagent connected to our bank feeds, meaning we are only ever 24hrs out of date with our live bank accounts. This is now a common practice with similar software, but for us it came just at the right time. Their team of inhouse accountancy experts is also an incredible resource that we use around once a quarter, or whenever something new crops up that we might need some help with. We still use the skill of an account for filing our end of year accounts, but we could even do this with free agent.

Minpunten: The one thing that has been a niggle like a tiny pebble in your shoe, or scratch on the roof of your mouth, is that you cannot send a remittance! Many people have requested this functionality but it has largely been ignored by the freeagent team. I have no idea whether it is a technical or philosophical reason they've just not engaged with it... If they did implement this functionality it would pretty much make it perfect for my companies needs.

Makes bookkeeping easy for a novice, and still keeps an accountant happy

Beoordeeld op 2-1-2018
Anne W.
Milieudiensten
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Saves me a whole lot of time, and helps me keep clear records for my accountant.

Pluspunten: At the moment it's free through my business banking account - I tried it because of this but it would definitely be worth paying for. I am relatively new to running a business and the software is very intuitive for a novice. My accountant is pretty happy with it too, so that's a big thumbs up! It makes invoicing and payment of exenses very easy, and is great for keeping track of money coming in/out and keeping an eye on invoices due for payment. Payroll is incorporated (you can file it with HMRC through FreeAgent or let your accountant do it separately). I also like the fact that it reminds me when my corporation tax and annual accounts are due. In a few clicks I can see my profit & loss account and my trial balance as well as spend in the different (customisable) categories. Really helps me keep on top of everything. The Android app is also great for reconciling payments and recording expenses on the move. The help files are fantastic, and the clear accounting descriptions and explanations make them a great resource for a small business even if you don't use the software.

Minpunten: Exporting information is a bit tricky in some areas - you can get a pdf out quite easily but an xls or csv would be more useful (you can export the entire company dataset as a csv, but not filtered individual elements such as unpaid expenses or balances within individual accounts). In some cases you can get round this by cutting and pasting, but it's a bit fiddly. Exporting all company data does not export attachments - so you need to keep a separate copy of scanned receipts etc outside FreeAgent. It is one of the more expensive cloud accounting software packages out there, but I have looked at a whole range and you can't beat the functionality, so that's what you are paying for I guess!

van FreeAgent Central op 23-4-2018

Hi Anne,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear about the features you like using and we really appreciate your positive feedback.

I'm also pleased to say that we are currently working on improving our exporting data feature, which will be released very soon.

Thanks again for using FreeAgent, we really appreciate it!

All the best,

Highly recommended

Beoordeeld op 8-8-2019
Facilitaire diensten, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I got access to this software FREE of charge through banking with RBS. Having previously used Xero for our book-keeping, I found it had the same great functionality but a much slicker design. It's simplicity and ease of use is the best thing going for it.

Minpunten: Had some issues at the beginning with connecting our bank feeds but this was sorted out quickly by the team at FreeAgent - can't think of any real faults with the software.

Great accounting software

Beoordeeld op 20-11-2018
John M.
Machine- en installatiebouw, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Very clean app gives good insights from the overview page.

Pluspunten: It's just so easy to use. We run our plumbing business with this app and it integrates well with Commusoft our field service management software reducing time spent double entering information and doing tasks like invoicing. Now we invoice and complete the job in Commusoft and it pushes al the relevant information to Freeagent.

Minpunten: It only does CIS one way. As we have grown from a subcontractor into a contractor that now employs subcontractors we need a simple way to process CIS invoices from our SC's

van FreeAgent Central op 23-11-2018

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear how you and your business use FreeAgent. Thanks for the feedback about CIS too, we've passed it along to our product team.

The FreeAgent Team

Painful to use, Clunky and not great

Beoordeeld op 11-3-2019
Accountant
Administratie, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Using the software was very awkward and restrictive. I lost confidence in it very early on.
My experience has been years of utter frustration.
Regular promises of fixes and upgrades never materialised over the last 3 years and despite sticking with it, and getting the software for free, I ended up having to opt for better software.
Customer services are quick to respond but they tend to misinterpret your issue. Their idea of helping is sending you a link to a long drawn out document that frustrates you even more than the original issue. Most of the issues can't be resolved by sympathetic customer support reps because they are hard-coded into the software as basic incapabilities.

Pluspunten: It's a Scottish company, albeit taken over by an anti-Scottish UK bank.
Customer services are relatively quick to respond but don't often understand or resolve your issue.
They do send you a Monday motivator which is useful.
It's now free if you bank with RBS/Nat West, but I'd rather not bank with either and even at £0 it's not worth it. I'd rather pay for a decent software and save the cost of hours of inefficiency and extra accountancy fees later.

Minpunten: It is very clunky and awkward to use. It is very expensive for what it is and definitely not even worth using for free. Several essential basic functions are missing and it is very restrictive/prescriptive forcing you to work their way or not at all. Customer services regularly have to fudge "workarounds" to fill the gaps in FreeAgent's basic functionality and often these "workarounds" make more mess than doing nothing, leaving you with more to pay your accountant to fix it. FreeAgent does several things in very unusual ways and then doesn't allow you to fix them.
Payroll does post journals into your ledgers but even the best accountants can't make any sense of them.
This software tries to be all things to small businesses giving tools that quite frankly are dangerous to unqualified accountants. It allows you to do your own VAT, Corporation Tax and Self Assessment wrongly, without any tax planning advice which could cost you tens of thousands of pounds in VAT/tax that isn't due, not to mention HMRC penalties etc. I know of several clients who have overpaid an absolute fortune and had seriously damaging run-ins with HMRC as a direct result of trying to DIY using this software. Buyer BEWARE!!!

van FreeAgent Central op 18-3-2019

Hi there,

We¿re really sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and frustrations. If there's anything we can do to help improve your experience, or any additional feedback you'd like to share with us, please contact us at @[email protected]

Warm regards,
The FreeAgent Team

As an event planner, it makes me happy to use FreeAgent because of easy access.

Beoordeeld op 23-10-2017
Stella A.
Operations Manager
Human Resources, 13-50 werknemers

Opmerkingen: Estimates and proposals
Invoice templates
Simple payroll and automatic back feeds
Tax timelines (you'll never miss a deadline again!)
Self-assessment tax return filing
Unlimited users and transactions
Support accountants are available to answer any questions
First 30 days are free, I was excited about this and I was very happy about this.

Pluspunten: Cheap depending on your business needs or the size of the business.
Famous for its incredible invoice templates
Shows your real-time profit position and it automatically updates your accounts.
Cloud-based, so there is no software to download or install
The interface is very friendly and lovely.

Minpunten: Online help, known as My Business Works Support has been known to be rather unhelpful and excessively rude
Tends to receive bugs or glitches that often take time to repair, if fixable at all
Even though this program offers Multiple Currency options, the proper support for this feature is seriously lacking
Not very quick with software updates (some have been waiting years for new and desired features)

Great accounting software for freelancers and small teams

Beoordeeld op 25-9-2019
Flavio A.
Creative Director
Design en ontwerp, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Having researched a number of different options while freelancing, FreeAgent was hands down the best one for a solo practitioner, with enough features to solve all my accounting needs.

Pluspunten: Perfect for freelancers and small teams, FreeAgent includes all the aspects needed to control accounts, create / send invoices and keep an eye on projects. Highly recommended for any solo practitioners.

Minpunten: If you plan to grow and scale your team, it can be a bit limiting, however it is still a great tool for smaller teams and individuals.

van FreeAgent Central op 30-9-2019

Hi Flavio,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it!

The FreeAgent Team

Make book keeping hassle a thing of the past

Beoordeeld op 22-1-2018
Rick S.
Copywriter
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Time saving, professional appearance to clients, cloud-based, quick and easy to learn

Pluspunten: I hate taxes and book keeping work. Using just common sense, you can immediately do 90% of tasks within FreeAgent, quickly and easily. FreeAgent staff are on standby to help you with the other 10%. It's fantastic.

Minpunten: Some of the features are not intuitive, and take a bit of practice to get right. The one time I have had to use a work around is the system does not have a function allowing you to remove partner drawings directly from a foreign currency PayPal account. Hardly a deal-breaker.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for sharing your review and for the kind words, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear that FreeAgent meets your needs, and that the team have given their support when needed (we're very proud to have such an awesome support team!)

We also appreciate your feedback about some of the challenges you've experienced, I've passed them along to our product team.

The FreeAgent Team

Essential tool for managing finance

Beoordeeld op 2-7-2018
Rouska L.
Design en ontwerp, 2-10 werknemers

Pluspunten: * Auto integration with banking API feeds
* Intelligent learning for your regular banking transactions
* Templates for sending invoices etc
* VAT & SA form integration with HMRC

Minpunten: * Slightly clunky UI for viewing recent expenses
* Inability to remove user's who have left the business

van FreeAgent Central op 12-7-2018

Hi Rouska,

Thank you for the positive review of FreeAgent. It was great to hear about all of the features that are most valuable to you. We appreciate the additional feedback too and have passed it along to our Product Team.

All the best,

My Accounting friend

Beoordeeld op 7-5-2019
Olajumoke O.
Sales Executive
Nutsbedrijven, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I use freeagent everyday for my business and it's like the best so far. Helps to generate invoices and estimates for client, it gives an overview of your account in the first page which you can easily see at first glance. I recommend freeagent anyday anytime.

Minpunten: Freeagent generates number for each of the invoice or estimates which can be confusing sometimes especially if you have to delete that invoice or estimates but nevertheless it's a stress free software, it does all the work.

van FreeAgent Central op 9-5-2019

Hi Olajumoke!

Thank you for being a FreeAgent user and for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate the kind words!

The FreeAgent Team

The only accounting software I would use

Beoordeeld op 10-10-2018
Lifestyle and Advertising Photographer (specialising in Kids)
Fotografie, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I use Freeagent to run my entire business- to invoice and to monitor missing payments, to file both my tax and vat returns, its an incredible tool for my business

Pluspunten: Great customer support- all from trained accountants in the UK that are able to walk you through any problems you might encounter when doing you tax and vat returns

Minpunten: None- inpeciable and consistent service at all times.

van FreeAgent Central op 23-11-2018

Hi there,

Thank you for the kind words and your positive review, we really appreciate it!

Great for Freelancers

Beoordeeld op 25-9-2018
Greg J.
Business Owner
Kantoorbenodigdheden, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: FreeAgents offers a lot of features for a very low price and the customer service is good also. I have used them for 3 years and there are other programs that may be a little better, but they are also a lot more expensive.

Minpunten: I wish that recurring billing was a little easier and the number of integrations is good, but it does not integrate with one of my core programs which is a bummer.

Generally good but some areas that badly need an update

Beoordeeld op 1-1-2019
Owen B.
Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Generally a solid piece of software but lacks some feature sets common in alternatives such as Zoho

Pluspunten: Super responsive customer support
Most day to day business transactions covered well
Generally clean design

Minpunten: The expense handling suite is quite poor (both mobile and web)
e.g. Does not have the following
- Sortable columns in the expense listing table (e.g. list by highest value descending, or name)
- Ability to filter by type or project
- Drag and drop receipts into web interface (you have to upload through file navigation)
- Quick take photo for expense button (mobile)
- Ability to email expense emails or pics of receipts to an inbox
Timesheet feature set also rather basic

Great, powerful,

Beoordeeld op 11-1-2018
John 'hedge' H.
Waar voor je geld

Pluspunten: FreeAgent is one of those programs that integrates all sorts of difficult tasks into one single multi-use product. We specifically use it for payroll, invoicing and accountancy and find the integrated approach saves time and helps us quickly track accountancy errors and oversights.

Minpunten: The live link to the bank account statements is often glitchy and can cause a headache for those trying to account for every transaction.

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing your review of FreeAgent. It was great to hear about the features you find most beneficial for your business. We also appreciate you highlighting the glitches you experience with links to bank account statements, we've shared that feedback with the product team.

The FreeAgent Team

Reviewed lots of options made the decision to go with FreeAgent and never looked back, great product

Beoordeeld op 12-12-2017
Co-Founder | Chief Executive | Chief Platform Architect
Informatiediensten, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Peace of mind, credible management information, easy ways of doing my quotations and billing, streamlined data capture of receipts and mileage, reduced my back office admin costs and made our lives easier

Pluspunten: Easy to use, intuitive, provides high quality information about the state of play of my business and my ongoing liabilities for tax and keeps easy track of who owes us money and how to send reminders. Quotation system works well, bank integration excellent and shared access for my back office book keepers means a lot less hassle. Love the App for capturing expenses and mileage

Minpunten: Worry about their inability to let me download copies of all scanned images I have added. I really cannot find anything else to say

Allows me to manage the business effectively

Beoordeeld op 27-11-2018
John C.
Business Owner
Internet, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: FreeAgent allows me to see at a glance what we are owed, who the biggest culprits are and to automatically send out overdue reminders. So much easier than chasing on the phone.

Pluspunten: FreeAgent has enabled me to free up so much of my time because i can schedule and manage invoices individually or on repeat. Also helps when preparing tax and vat returns.

Minpunten: The function to connect credit card accounts does not always work that well but i think we have cracked it.

van FreeAgent Central op 18-1-2019

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we really appreciate it! If you experience any additional issues with connecting your account, please let us know at [email protected] as our support team is always happy to help.

Keeping Track Of My Finances

Beoordeeld op 23-7-2019
Zara I.
Machine- en installatiebouw, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: It is really easy to use and the data is displayed in a useful format

Minpunten: The one downside is that it doesn't pull in the USD transactions from Paypal and this has to be done manually.

Easy to use accounting software and a great mobile app

Beoordeeld op 21-2-2018
Tom M.
Copywriter
Marketing en reclame, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I found FreeAgent easier to get my head around than other accounting software, both desktop and cloud, that I'd used in the past. I did have to call support a couple of times but I got straight through and they were a pleasure to deal with and sorted all my issues impressively well.

Pluspunten: FreeAgent is great in January when I can file my tax return directly to HMRC. The form is also filled with data I've entered throughout the year so self assessment time is pretty hassle free, which s unusual for a freelancer. I've just started using the mobile app and find that this is really is good too. I can take care of all the day-to-day stuff, like explaining bank transactions and entering mileage, when I'm out and about on business to stop it mounting up.

Minpunten: The mobile app is really great, but doesn't yet have the same in-depth functionality as the desktop app.

Simple, may to use and already used by out acceptant

Beoordeeld op 17-1-2018
David K.
Software Quality Assurance Tester
Computersoftware, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Simple, lightweight and just does exactly what you require from a accounting tool. Interface is easy to navigate and there is a very low learning curve. I would recommend this tool to small businesses / freelancers.

Minpunten: Doesn't integrate with newer online style bank accounts for automated feeds at all. (e.g. transfer wise bank accounts) . Sometimes doesn't recognise recurring bank transactions meaning it takes longer to explain

Not the best software I've ever used.

Beoordeeld op 4-4-2018
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I don't see any now.

Pluspunten: It looks like it has a lot of features but it doesn't work in a logical way.
The tech support used to be available almost 24/7 but the quality and availability have shrunk down significantly.

Minpunten: This is the most frustrating of all of the accounting software that we reviewed. Everything (even mistakes) gets locked in and can't be edited or amended. There are so many basic functions that just don't work and all customer services do is give you complicated workarounds, most of which don't actually achieve the required outcome. The bank feeds often don't work and you have to log in daily to manually update them. The price is way to high and not good value. The software is not easy to use and what used to be great customer service is now a waste of your time and call tariff. To add insult to injury, they have just been bought over by a bank that has a terrible reputation for so many reasons and will tarnish the reputation of FreeAgent. I'd steer well clear of this software.

So much easier

Beoordeeld op 27-7-2018
Steve G.
Heating Engineer
2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: This product has made running my business do much easier.It takes a little getting used to but once grappled it’s a breeze!

Pluspunten: The bank reconciling makes marking off transactions and paid invoices so easy. The ability to resend email reminders and show whether an email has been received by a customer is great.

Minpunten: More template options would be good and the ability to put terms and conditions into the back of a invoice.

Took the worst part of owning a business and made it almost fun

Beoordeeld op 4-4-2018
Software Manager
Automotive, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: The end to end connectivity. Booking time spent with a client turns into an invoice turns into a payment at the bank - and all this is tracked. What used to take hours in excel is all at a glance in FreeAgent.

Minpunten: I wish that there was a way to use their time tracking module as a separate product. I no longer run a business but would love to use their time tracker with my team at the larger org I now work for.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear which FreeAgent features you found most helpful. I've also passed along your time tracking module feedback to our product team.

The FreeAgent Team

The perfect accounting software for freelancers

Beoordeeld op 27-3-2018
Jamie M.
Head Of Marketing
Informatietechnologie en -diensten, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: It's an incredibly easy to use all-in-one accounting solution that's built for freelancers, all the way up to large businesses. Creating and managing invoices is very easy and you can even sync it up to your bank account. Whilst many of the more advanced accounting features go unused by myself I can clearly see the value in them for others.

Minpunten: It's not the cheapest solution if you're just creating a few invoices each month but for any typical independent professional it's a great solution. I can't think of any real cons to this product.

Brilliant

Beoordeeld op 8-2-2018
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I love free agent. It makes invoicing, book keeping and automating reminders very easy. It's also very easy to modify your invoice designs. Customer support has always been good on the few occasions I've needed them.

Minpunten: I'd like to be able to do reports on a monthly basis rather than the preset options. Little bit more expensive than it's rivals.

Great accunting software, really easy to use!

Beoordeeld op 6-2-2018
Pierpaolo S.
Operations Manager
Levensmiddelen- en drankenindustrie
Waar voor je geld

Pluspunten: Fantastic software for your company. Easy to use and complete. You can manage your customers, raise invoices and do your payroll.

Minpunten: The software is improving over the years, but you might have some issues when it comes to make payments and raise invoices in other currencies.

Hi Pierpaolo,

Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear what you found most useful about FreeAgent. We've also highlighted the issues you raised with our product team.