A wonderful substitute for Adobe Illustrator

Heidi S.
Graphic Designer
Design en ontwerp, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Awesome alternative to Adobe products, clean interface and makes my project flow much more efficient.

Pluspunten: I really like how intuitive the software is for designers who are familiar with any standard design platform. I've been using Serif products for 9 years now and have always been impressed with how affordable and functional their design software has always been. They made design accessible to anyone in a market where design software pricing made it out of reach for many struggling graphic artists and designers. This newest offering is, in my opinion, superior to the industry standard vector offering, Adobe Illustrator. At a base level Affinity Designer offers all of the functionality of it's competition, with more ease of use and a much more affordable rate.

Minpunten: As Affinity Designer is still fairly new there are some small bugs, however, the Affinity support team works hard to address those and update the software often. Also, while most of the features are super intuitive the more advanced offerings can be harder to figure out. More tutorials offered by the company and the design community would be beneficial to allow people to really get all of the value that they can. The software is capable of so much but learning about those advanced features can be frustrating.

Affinity Designer, a good tool for designers.

Beoordeeld op 15-1-2019
Ingeniero de Implementación y Soporte
Design en ontwerp, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I use Affinity for more than two years and the truth is that what can be achieved is satisfactory, that it is easy to use because it resembles others, it contains the exact thing to illustrate and when deploying it in the graphic arts department it was very appropriate for us. Its low cost, its help methods grow over time and this allows you to be informed of innovations in the product.

Pluspunten: Affinity is a good competitor for other tools that are giving you something to talk about and they show it with this software that enhances your designs, an interface that does not depart from familiar tools. Its low cost and updates draw attention, I had the opportunity to test it on MacOS and I wanted it to come out for windows, later my prayers were heard and today is part of my group of applications that I use to illustrate, Serif intends to get into the game with a program that offers a lower cost of good quality than others that are expensive.

Minpunten: Although upgrades improve it and make Affinity more similar to other software, it lacks many tools that would boost it and put it at the top, but eventually we'll see it.

The Best Vector Program for your Money!

Beoordeeld op 26-10-2018
Account Services Representative
Verzekeringen, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: My overall experience with Affinity Designer has been overwhelmingly positive. Seriously, there isn't a better vector/raster program for Windows, Mac, and iPad for the price. It's changed my design workflow for the better and I hope it disrupts the stranglehold a certain suite of tools has on the industry.

Pluspunten: Affinity Designer has helped me cut the expensive cord that tied me to the Adobe suite of graphic design tools. The price is absolutely mind-blowing for what this software can do. It does everything programs like Illustrator can do--creating vector art and manipulating nodes on the fly. But it also adds raster tools allowing you to combine smooth vector designs with detailed bitmaps. There's so much Serif has packed into this amazing app at an insanely affordable price that there's no reason every designer and hobbyist should be adding to their toolbox today.

Minpunten: My only nitpicks about this software is that occasionally it will crash when you're handling large files with lots of layers and that new versions don't come out as quickly as I'd like. But Serif is a small team who's passionate about their product and I know they'll continue to develop it to be the best it can be.

Easy to vectorize elements and good for multiple purposes design (printing, online design, cutting).

Beoordeeld op 20-4-2019
Andreea laura A.
Web Designer
Internet, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I bought Affinity Designer last year because it was at offer, i think on black friday. Initially I was reluctant to buy it and use it because I thought it would be hard to use and understand another application. If you know Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator you know how to use Affinity Designer. It seems to be a combination of them, but from my point of view better on working with vector elements.

Pluspunten: First of all, because when you create vector elements and delete a point, it does not destroy the whole element that you've created. I like that you can organize in folders what you are doing and by double clicking on an item in the folder you selected it and you can edit it. For now, I've used affinity designer to make pdf documents as giveaway for my readers on the blog and to make design for my cutting machine. When I bought the application I received some templates to use, I have not used them yet but I assume they are useful. You can also create artboards to make design for sites and applications. You can export each artboard separately in different formats.

Minpunten: I faced a little problem. It is not compatible with Adobe Illustrator. At work I had this program and I sent a file home to make some changes but I could not do that because I could not open my document. Instead I have no problems with the eps format.

Not really an Illustrator replacement, it still might be all many designers need

Beoordeeld op 26-6-2018
Rick P.
Waar voor je geld

Pluspunten: Adobe isn't exactly the most loved software company in the world right now, not even among designers who depend and even like its products. So if you dislike Adobe as much as I do, Serif's Affinity Designer has at least these things going for it: No subscriptions! Great, personal support! Engaged-with-the-community developers! Not built by a boring, unresponsive, impassive corporation that ignores its customers! But thankfully it's also a powerful and incredibly inexpensive piece of software. Stuff I really like: 1. Doesn't crash. I'm guessing that's because of good memory management, something I'm not sure Adobe has ever cared about. 2. Unlimited artboards! Yup, unlimited. 3. Split-screen and outline views with a keyboard shortcut. Nice! 4. Much, MUCH easier to work with pixels and vectors at the same time. 5. Did I mention that it's not Adobe?

Minpunten: Not as power-packed as Illustrator so some task still need Adobe, particularly for prepress. (For prototyping, you probably want Sketch.) Not as impressive as its sister application Affinity Photo. Proprietary format is obviously not an industry-standard like Adobe. No iPad app yet.

Vector meets Pixel in one simple app!

Beoordeeld op 4-9-2018
Sasha-shae W.
CEO and Visual Design Strategist
Design en ontwerp, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Overall I've used Affinity Designer to create logos, website layout wireframes and mockups, pdf documents, and a bunch of other things. It's really fast and doesn't lag at all

Pluspunten: First and foremost, the cost of this app is stellar! You can't beat the price for what you're getting. AD is a vector and pixel based program and it's simplified workflows for those of us who wanted something different to the new subscriptions introduced by Adobe. I find AD really easy to jump into and use, and their tutorials out there are genuinely helpful, plus there are many 3rd party resources to help you learn more.

Minpunten: Since it's still a fairly new product, some features we may be used to in for example Illustrator, are not present. For one, I miss being able to do live traces and also I find the pathfinder functions work a little differently than they do in Illustrator.

Where to begin? So much excellence.

Beoordeeld op 26-3-2019
James R.
Developer and entrepreneur
Publiceren, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Unseating the great Adobe Illustrator is no easy task. Illustrator has been a stalwart of the design industry for decades. If there's a contender out there, this is it. I dare say, Affinity Designer may be better than AI. While there are some serious migration issues if you're an AI veteran, within a week or two, you will have forgotten about Illustrator. What's most impressive about AD is that it's blazing fast, super stable and has no monthly subscription requirement. It's also got a host of great features for app / software interface design, and reusable elements to speed up complex images. The brush tools are great, and the support for drawing tablets is well implemented. You'll also find support for loads of image formats and portability to Affinity's Photo product.

Minpunten: The learning curve is a little daunting for long-time Illlustrator users. For me it had been a long time since I had to learn a new drawing application. Fortunately YouTube is already filling up with tutorial videos and how-to's. If you can get past the awkward early-stage, there's a lot to love here. But be prepared for initial frustration.

Not a real Illustrator competitor yet, but easy to use

Beoordeeld op 28-11-2018
Christian K.
CEO & Founder
Internet, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I prefer Affinity Designer over Adobe Illustrator because of the fast start up and the interface. You will easily find what you need and can if it's not there you can easily add it. So user experience is really good. Because I am not working on digital art like other people but create simpler art Designer is okay for me as I don't need all the features missing from Illustrator. And the price - you really buy the software, you don't rent a cloud package - this is super and affordable for not so deep pockets.

Pluspunten: Affinity Designer is easy to use and makes navigating easy to find what you are looking for. Features are okay and not too much at the beginning. If you were using Illustrator before you will understand the User Interface. It's also easy to export your designs, easier to create designs. It also loads faster than AI.

Minpunten: Illustrator is missing some features from Illustrator which you may like to use, it's the problem if you wanted a better overview. Less features means a better interaction, shorter ways and fewer shortcuts, but also fewer ways to create masterpieces of art.

Affinity Designer - Exactly What I Need

Beoordeeld op 16-5-2019
Animatie, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I was searching for an escape route from Illustrator when I came across Affinity Designer. It was on sale at the time and I figured, 'how could I go wrong?' I bought it and haven't looked back since. I've also purchased Affinity Photo and I've been working with the Beta of their Publisher app. All are very impressive and I'd highly recommend them to anyone like me, looking for alternatives.

Pluspunten: The interface is clean and makes good sense after watching a few of the tutorial videos. I really like how vertices adjustment handles work, they are quite intuitive for me. The non-destructive effects are great.

Minpunten: I found it a bit difficult at first to understand how layers worked, but after watching tutorials and some experimentation, it's become second nature. You can import *.ai files but you can't export them. Not a huge deal since it exports very nice PDF and EPS files.

The Must-Have App for Graphic Designers!

Beoordeeld op 24-4-2018
Co-Propietario
13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: The fastest proffesional graphic design software, with great results and amazing speed using symbols.

Pluspunten: It's an incredible app that has everything you need for designing, sketching, drawing and more! I't one of my favorite apps of the decade! All the features are amazing: the infinite zoom gives you precision, the smart guides are really smart, the layers panel, the tools, the view modes and more.
Serif really have achieved a masterpiece that competes directly with other vector graphics platforms.

Minpunten: It's a little limited on typography tools, and object effects as blending between shapes, gradient mesh and others are on my wishlist.

It is one of the best companies in terms of web design

Beoordeeld op 30-3-2018
Kendra Q.
Web Designer
13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: It is one of the best companies in terms of web design, not only because it tries to help in all possible ways to its customers but also because it presents a wide variety of services and is extremely effective in each and every one of them, I recommend it 100%, currently it is very difficult to find a company as effective and fast as Affinity Designer. If you are thinking about working with this company let me tell you that you have nothing to think about and you should start doing it now, I recommend it 100% effective, fast, attentive, versatile .. it has everything a customer needs and knows how to use it ..

Minpunten: I really do not have any complaints about this company, I go alone with nice and good comments, because it is everything that the company left me, I am 100% satisfied and very happy to have worked with Affinity Designer without a doubt I will do it again a future .. Very good company and very good way of working, really admirable and recommended, I'm not disappointed even for a second. There should be more companies that do everything as simple as Affinity Designer does and treat clients' doubts and concerns in the same way that they do. It does not compare with anything, its treatment and attention to details are very good. Highly recommended

Illustrator Replacement.

Beoordeeld op 16-10-2018
Jeremy D.
Web Developer / Owner
Grafisch ontwerp, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I've switched my primary vector design tool to Affinity a little over 2 years ago. Since switching, I've taken time to learn the Affinity products, and really appreciate their features. I bought both books (Designer and Photo books), as well as both ipad apps, and am beta testing Affinity Publisher. So far, they have been great to use, and never caused me any issues. I highly recommend all of their software!

Pluspunten: Price! Features, GUI, import / export options, plays nice with adobe, company is great at providing tutorials, updates, and enhancing the product.

Minpunten: learning curve is there (it's not an adobe clone), but take the time to learn this tool, it's worth it!

Not fit for purpose

Beoordeeld op 23-1-2019
Simon D.
Freelance Designer and Web Developer
Grafisch ontwerp, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Not really a finished app I have been trying to integrate Affinity Designer into a professional workflow for a number of years now but I've come to the conclusion that it's just too painful and there is nothing to indicate that this will improve. Back when I first purchased this app the developers were promising a roadmap of future improvements which would bring it closer to some of the industry-standard vector apps out there. It's been two years now and not a single thing on that list has been implemented. The few updates which have come down the line have focused on things like the app icon. The developers have moved on to other projects, and it seems to me that for all intents and purposes, development on this software has been abandoned. I wouldn't wish to speculate if this software will even be supported in a few years. So we're left with an app which lacks some of the most fundamental vector editing tools. With the exception of skew, vectors cannot be distorted in any way (including perspective) and it even lacks a knife tool. These are tools which are actually provided by many free editors. Furthermore, many tools are very poorly implemented. Convert to curves produces hilariously unusable results and things like Offset Path simply don't exist. The developers themselves are notoriously unresponsive to please for further development. Since going cross-platform there have been many reports of Designer's instability and since the implementation of Apples Metal API

Pluspunten: It's cheap, although it still remains less powerful that some free apps

Minpunten: Development seems to have ground to a halt on this app. Investing time and energy learning could be a waste of time as it may not be around in the future.

A neck-and-neck competitor to Adobe Illustrator

Beoordeeld op 6-4-2018
Andrés S.
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: Being able to pay for a licensed fully reliable software, at a reasonable price. Hey! It's a no-brainer.

Pluspunten: Designer, along with its brother Photo, makes the best out of a designer software, without the hustle and cost of a larger suite, such as Adobe CC. Every feature you are used to having on Illustrator you will find in Designer. The layout is very similar and with some name changes you are just at home. Additionally, Serif develops templates and themes that you can use just by being a registered user.

Minpunten: The only problem for most designers is to find where the usual tools (shadowing, rasterizing, among others) are located. Once you get familiarized with where is what, you are free.

The illustrator killer.. almost

Beoordeeld op 16-10-2018
Christopher michael S.
Technology Specialist
Schoolleiding, 13-50 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: All of Serif's software is amazing, and Affinity Designer is easily the best graphic design program I've ever used.

Pluspunten: It's a lightweight, super functional graphics design software for the ages. It has 99% of the tools I need for vector and pixel art creation, all in one program. In some ways, it's like a hybrid of Illustrator and Photoshop.

Minpunten: There's not much I don't like, but it is missing a few features that make it hard to completely abandon adobe products. However, those are in the development roadmap, so it's only a matter of time.

Adobe has nothing on Affinity

Beoordeeld op 6-5-2019
Coordinator of K-12 International Education
Schoolleiding, 51-200 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Their business model. Affinity provides an amazing product that I don't feel like I am buying again every month. I am sorry but Adobe is out of their mind to think that a casual user that occasionally needs design software is going to pay more for their product than they do all their streaming services combined.
Affinity designer is an amazing piece of software that allows me to create and design simple print projects to.. something that I cannot do, create beautiful pieces of art. I have a tremendous amount of loyalty to Affinity. Bonus: they produce their own tutorial videos and post them online, so even if there is a task you don't know how to accomplish they help you.

Minpunten: I don't dislike anything about this software. I use is constantly and am always impressing friends and coworkers with the projects I complete with it.

A full featured and modern replacement for well known illustration and photo editing tools

Beoordeeld op 2-7-2018
Bryan M.
Product Director
Design en ontwerp
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: Affinity designer is fresh, affordable and easy to use. It has the features one would need from an app like Illustrator and it doesn't feel like too much was crammed into it. Some of the way the interface works reminds me of CorelDraw which I really enjoyed using, but has become a bit dated and is not available on Mac. This is a great app for illustration work, and for print design like business card design. The separate vector and pixel personas keep tools organized well.

Minpunten: Affinity Designer isn't specifically designed to be used for UI design, while I'm fine with this, it would be interesting if in the future it could handle some of the features that applications like Sketch do that make it great for UI design. That said, I wouldn't want this if it made the app cluttered. Right now Affinity Designer is great because it is easy to get around.

Great replacement of Adobe Illustrator

Beoordeeld op 23-12-2018
Moises K.
International Sales
Internationale handel en ontwikkeling, 2-10 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Pluspunten: I switched at some point from Fireworks/Illustrator to affinity.
I was looking for a Fireworks replacement after adobe discontinued it and I not only found a great app but I even ended ditching Illustrator and now I only use Affinity Designer instead.

Minpunten: Some features are still missing but every update gets better and better. For example the typography related tools got a great boost recently so I’m confident that it will only get better in time.

Intuitive and friendly

Beoordeeld op 7-6-2019
Shasta P.
HoC
Kunst en nijverheid, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: As a long time vector artist I have used nearly everything and nothing comes close to the amazingly fluid and easy to use interface of Affinity Designer. Though it is missing some power tools from the bigger name software and it's predecessor. I find that I can complete any task that doesn't require any highly specialized tools in a fraction of the time in Affinity Designer with higher quality results.

Pluspunten: - Intuitive and easy to learn user interface.
- Great selecting of tools.
- Highly flexible Import/Export options.
- Built-in high quality Pixel editing tools.

Minpunten: - Not well optimized. It clearly can not take advantage of modern hardware.
- Missing some specialized tools.

Using it quite every day to work on designs, photos and websites

Beoordeeld op 27-4-2018
David C.
ceo
Waar voor je geld

Pluspunten: The price, of course and the fact that it's easier to manipulate and more robust than other vector drawning programs. I tested it as a replacement of a well-known vector software, and fell in love with it. I use it every day, to nearly all the use you can imagine a such a tool. Really one of the best value you can find !

Minpunten: Nothing really, maybe, and that's a maybe, a lack of typo tools that other package have form a long time.

Fantastic features and easy to use!

Beoordeeld op 1-6-2018
Instructional Designer
Waar voor je geld

Pluspunten: Originally purchased this as a more cost effective option for design (images/PDFs mainly). The features, functionality, and even shortcuts are very close to what I would get using an Adobe equivalent, but it's much more budget friendly and the support and dev team are phenomenal. They have an outstanding user/support community with quick responses and they are always keeping users up to date on what enhancements are coming next. I will enjoy seeing how this continues to grow and develop over time.

Minpunten: If you got in early, there were definitely some features that weren't there right away and could put users off. If you looked at this a few years ago and didn't go with it, I would strongly encourage anybody to try it, at minimum, if not go ahead and just purchase.

Love this product

Beoordeeld op 26-8-2018
Jason N.
Intelligence SME
Design en ontwerp, 2-10 werknemers

Opmerkingen: BUY!

Pluspunten: I make tshirt designs and Affinity designer is an incredibly effective tool for this. I regularly use it and find it to be almost as feature rich as adobe illustrator. Best of all, this is a one time fee for 50 dollars and you keep it for life. This is a great alternative to paying monthly for adobe products. Also - the company is constantly looking to make improvements on the software and has an active user community.

Minpunten: Some features from adobe illustrator aren't out yet, namely line tracing and a few others. I hope they continue to work on this product.

Excellent replacement for Adobe Illustrator with a great price tag!

Beoordeeld op 12-7-2018
Sr. Experience Designer
Human Resources, 201-500 werknemers
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I saved a lot of money by not having to pay a subscription model for bloated software. Affinity Designer gives me all the tools I need.

Pluspunten: Affinity Designer is very easy to use, especially if you've worked with products like Adobe Illustrator in the past. Tools are easy and intuitive to use and the ability to customize the UI so you only see the things you need really cleans up your work space. I love the variety of export methods and use of canvases. Another big pro is the ability to open several different file formats, including .ai.

Minpunten: It can take a little effort to setup your workspace the way you like it. It's not always easy to find out how to display a specific palette of functions via the main app menu. I prefer submenus in tool docs so I can see what tool palettes I can add directly.

The best Illustrator competition, but a clear second place

Beoordeeld op 30-11-2018
Brent R.
Marketing en reclame, Zelfstandig ondernemer
Niet waarschijnlijk Zeer waarschijnlijk

Opmerkingen: I love a lot of things about Affinity Designer, and even though I have an active Adobe subscription, I will be keeping Designer around to use for icon work and some non-text logo work. It's very flexible, extremely affordable, and hash probably 75% of the functionality of Illustrator. Most people will get by fine. But if you need file compatibility, you'll be disappointed as I was.

Pluspunten: I love how Affinity Designer was built from the ground up to address workflow and performance issues that Illustrator has suffered from. Designer is innovative and is very clearly the next closest competitor for Adobe Illustrator. Some things, like managing gradients, text, and shapes, is very well done and very slick.

Minpunten: Importing and exporting files to be used with Illustrator is not fun. If you're working in this industry, you're going to interact with others who use Illustrator. So the files need to be compatible. But with Designer, while you CAN import and export these files, you lose a lot. Layer effects don't translate well, font layers are turned into paths and no longer able to be edited as text, and you just end up having to redo a lot of work.

Best app to replace Adobe Fireworks

Beoordeeld op 31-3-2018
Moises K.
Developer
Waar voor je geld

Pluspunten: I love the vector based tools of this App. I used to be an avid user of Fireworks and when Adobe decided to kill it I kept looking for a good replacement that offers the best of both worlds: pixel based design and vector. So far Affinity Designer covered both and now I even feel more comfortable using it than I ever did in Fireworks.

Minpunten: Some text tools are still rudimentary but every update keeps getting better. For example they only caught up with vertical alignment on the last update and I'm sure they'll keep adding more details in the future.